Is there still a use for the osx86project?

sleze

20 posts in this topic

I thought the point of this website was to provide information on getting OS X running on all x86 platforms. Well, Apple has finally released their x86 platform and we are now not permitted to post links on getting it running on other x86 platforms. What is left?

Is the website now primarily for writing drivers for osx86? Is it for porting PPC programs to osx86? Is it for porting Win32 apps to osx86?

Please don't view this as a troll. If I had a reliable way of running OS X on my dell, I would go to Comp USA and purchase it in a heartbeat. By not allowing the linking to sites that have any information about doing that, this website seems to have lost its importance.

Yes. Those are, in fact, the points! :) Anyway, although you're not supposed to, you can still post to things using euphamisms and the like. ;) And this site is still important, because it allows us to know the goings-on. If not for this place, I would be using a very faulty Intel Dual Core processor! :D

Direct links are hardly essential - anyone should be able to use google to find the patches if they know what to look for, and thats where we come in - you can still post instruction and reports on using patches etc, just no direct links.

It's occurred to me that Apple will have been the cause of a whole new dialect of 1337-speak where we use coded messages to convey information such as "Find it where the buccaneers moor their ships, aarrr, arrr, shiver me timbers!" And if that doesn't tell you where to get stuff, nothing will :)

:)

arrrrr matey haha of course this site still serves a purpose, it serves the same purpose it always has! Nothing is changed, except you now have to go to google if you're a noob who doesnt have the important sites bookmarked :(

just follow the google treasure map ... x marks the spot

So they are ok with us distributing instructions on how to circumvent their protected code...just so long as we don't post links to the tools to do it? Sounds kind of hypocritical. But whatever...here's to running OS X on my Latitude!

Try to use a little lateral thinking when you post instructions. For example, if you can avoid saying "Use Joe's acmepatch.10.tar.gz" and instead say "use the acme patch" that will be less likely to be lawyer-bait. Not that the former is actually wrong, as long as it's not a link, but common sense will help keep the lawyers off our backs.

So they are ok with us distributing instructions on how to circumvent their protected code...just so long as we don't post links to the tools to do it? Sounds kind of hypocritical. But whatever...here's to running OS X on my Latitude!

I wouldn't say they were "ok with it" - they just don't have any legal powers to prevent it (yet!)

Try to use a little lateral thinking when you post instructions. For example, if you can avoid saying "Use Joe's acmepatch.10.tar.gz" and instead say "use the acme patch" that will be less likely to be lawyer-bait. Not that the former is actually wrong, as long as it's not a link, but common sense will help keep the lawyers off our backs.
Captain Hook is wearing a patch over one eye.

LOL "I see no french"

(thats a historical reference, not an anti-french one) :)

Edit: I was clearly a bit too obscure here, I was referring to the anecdote where admiral Nelson, being told that the french fleet was attacking, put his telescope up to his eye-patch & stated "I see no french"

My apolgies if my bizarre reference caused offence.

LOL "I see no french"

(thats a historical reference, not an anti-french one) :pirate2:

You ain't a good regional localizer : I'm french !

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

M5N Notebook

Intel Pentium M 725 Dothan 1.60GHz SSE2

Intel i855GM/GME

10.4.4 8G1165

LOL "I see no french"

(thats a historical reference, not an anti-french one) :pirate2:

Edit: I was clearly a bit too obscure here, I was referring to the anecdote where admiral Nelson, being told that the french fleet was attacking, put his telescope up to his eye-patch & stated "I see no french"

My apolgies if my bizarre reference caused offence.

We were all googling captain hook and french.

In England, that story is told a little differently. The gist is the same but Nelson is alleged to have said "I see no ships!" at the battle of Copenhagen, in order to avoid directly disobeying an order.

Here's a link -save Googling!

Edit, sorry Hagar, but he was fighting the Nordic peoples at the time. I guess it was an extension of the Norwegians nipping over the North Sea every five minutes to rape British women, and the Brits nipping back and raping the Norwegian women, for centuries. Ever wonder why we're so much alike? :pirate2:

Someone had a digg about this topic once.

I think the site is more necessary than ever! We have a ton of new people getting iMacs and MacBooks and they're coming here for help and knowledge since we know so much about the x86 stuff.

And our traffic is way up as of late - there are a lot of people who obviously want us around (at least I hope!)

Someone had a digg about this topic once.

I think the site is more necessary than ever! We have a ton of new people getting iMacs and MacBooks and they're coming here for help and knowledge since we know so much about the x86 stuff.

And our traffic is way up as of late - there are a lot of people who obviously want us around (at least I hope!)

So then you see this site as similar to the many third party support sights that exist for PCs? (ala experts exchange) It is a site that exists supplimentary to Apple support for its Intel products?

Lol - I hate the experts exchange. They always have the answer and expect me to pay for it! :D

This site exists to offer help to whoever may need it, sharp (and intelligent) conversation to those who seek it, and fun to those who are looking for it.