someone's website is missing

10kelvin

56 posts in this topic

Lol - it's ok to post his name. It's just links to patches and sites that can't be used, I guess. We're talking with the EFF to determine exactly what the line is.

:dev: Shhhhhhhhh! Don't say his name! Ha Ha Ha!

I know he's considered a god around here... Should we then refer to him as M-----s, kinda like G-d?

That prompts a real question however, and I'm sure that's one of the things you'll be asking EFF, Mash. Is it okay to post IP addresses? They're not URLs, and might not always match with what a given URL returns from the DNS, but they are a sort of 'link' to the site... For now, it obviously doesn't matter since the sites in question are down, but here is my key question:

In the future, might it technically be lawful for us to give links to 3rd party sites that then redirect people to the offensive material? :D Obviously, that's treading thin ice, but it might be legal, since you're not directly linking to the sites... the redirection service is. :dev:

The Maxxuss blog is on a US host -- so I suspect one of two things:

1) The site will be up for a limited amount of time, or

2) it will not host any new links to patches and possibly copyright-infringing material.

1) And what makes you think Cocos (Keeling) Islands is a US territory? and

2) he never hosts files on the same site he gives information on.

[EDIT]

Call me crazy but I don't see any difference between people saying "google maxxuss" and

[Links Removed]

Especially if I'm not linking to any copyrighted files or any sites that host such files.

From the rules sticky:

WAREZ POLICY

Anyone who violates this policy or replies to someone who has requested, posting a link in the reply, will be warned. Depending on how many people try this in conjunction with each other, you may be banned immediately, so... Don't press your luck.

1) No posting of direct links to warez or pirated pieces of software. We do not support the pirating of software.

2) Torrent files are not allowed, nor are links to torrents.

If we can't post links to sites then the forum rules need to clarify that as well as what is ok, e.g. can we post hxxp://maxxuss.warez.com or http://....warez.com? Personally, I'm glad I live in country where we don't have to worry about all this kindergarten bullcrap dmca stuff.

Edited by 0uch!p0tat0

You don't see the point... It is your problem (read why this forum was down last weekend)... So please don't post links to maxxuss... It is ok to say "google maxxuss" I also don't see what is the point on doing that but if that vilates the law, there is nothing to do but to respect the law... So if you made an mirror it is ok, but I think you should PM maxxuss to infrom him and he will post your mirror in his site... I don't want to see this froum/site to be down again...

r0ck3r4ever: The links that Apple contacted osx86project about and which were subsequently removed were direct links to patches. I don't think the above links violate any of the stated forum rules. If I'm wrong then that's why we have mods.

You are wrong. The links apple objected to (and are covered by under the DMCA) also included any site containing direct download links to copyright infringing material which means Maxxuss Homepage. His blog is clean for now as there are no direct download links on it.

What's the possibly of having you know who work on getting Windows to boot on a MacBook? My pic is there to help continue the dream.

Why you say?

Well... first off, this is a great challenge! One I, as well as many others have not been able to figure out. I'm at the point now where any and all tricks I thought I knew seem worthless and it's so formidable of a challenge - I must see it done! I've been working mainly in the onmac forums, affiliated with windowsxponmac.com challenge.

Secondly, I believe someone like maxxuss is a very good candidate to pull it off. There's suggestions on using Windows XP Embedded to program it to work with EFI. Something I wouldn't know how to even start. Never even heard of XP embedded to be honest.

Lastly, there's a $12,000 prize. Need I say more?

Are you up to it maxxuss?

-Nick

by the way love the site (OSx86 Project) - my new fav!

You are wrong. The links apple objected to (and are covered by under the DMCA) also included any site containing direct download links to copyright infringing material which means Maxxuss Homepage. His blog is clean for now as there are no direct download links on it.

Then why did you delete the my link to his blog? Someone needs to update the forum rules.

Well according to John Dvorak .. Apple seems to be heading in that direction anyway. Windows on Macs at first I thought no way in hell, but after reading his blogs it kinda makes sense, if you think it through.

It boils down to software, software software and I'm not talking about the Open Source stuff companies usually turn thier nose up on this. It's a pitty really :dev: There's some great stuff out there.

What's the possibly of having you know who work on getting Windows to boot on a MacBook? My pic is there to help continue the dream.

Why you say?

Well... first off, this is a great challenge! One I, as well as many others have not been able to figure out. I'm at the point now where any and all tricks I thought I knew seem worthless and it's so formidable of a challenge - I must see it done! I've been working mainly in the onmac forums, affiliated with windowsxponmac.com challenge.

Secondly, I believe someone like maxxuss is a very good candidate to pull it off. There's suggestions on using Windows XP Embedded to program it to work with EFI. Something I wouldn't know how to even start. Never even heard of XP embedded to be honest.

Lastly, there's a $12,000 prize. Need I say more?

Are you up to it maxxuss?

-Nick

by the way love the site (OSx86 Project) - my new fav!

Then why did you delete the my link to his blog? Someone needs to update the forum rules.

I agree with you. The rules should be updated. And about the blog, hmm suspicious, Maxxuss posted his blog in this tread, but he just wrote the address(I don’t know how to say it), not the complete url without the http://www... stuff (but I think I am paranoid). Or maybe it is ok to post a link to his blog only... I donno...

Anyway the rules should be updated for no further confusion.

I thought because of Russian law, Apple couldn't shutdown his site. How does piratebay stay open? Personally I think Apple is fighting a losing battle. Maybe if they paid him a million dollars they would get him to stop. If they just sold OS X in the stores to run it like we run it, I would go by it. I already spent 5 grand on my gaming rig, I am not going to go out and spend more money on Apple Hardware, just to use it.

Because i was fed up editing posts containing links to mirrors and didn't bother to check if any of them were just blog links. I have amended the rules.

>How does piratebay stay open?

TPB is hosted in Sweden. The copyright laws here say that's illegal to share and download copyrighted content. It's still OK to link to copyrighted material which is all TPB does.

It's actually legal to posses copies of many kinds of copyrighted material as well, mostly video and music. Software is more of a no-no.

>How does piratebay stay open?

TPB is hosted in Sweden. The copyright laws here say that's illegal to share and download copyrighted content. It's still OK to link to copyrighted material which is all TPB does.

It's actually legal to posses copies of many kinds of copyrighted material as well, mostly video and music. Software is more of a no-no.

Yea, they are well known for their funny mail correspondence with various big U.S chambers :angry:

btw. I don't know how lawyers managed it, to make it illegal

"to link to a site, where links are posted, that are referring to small little files, which are linking to computers, but only when started with a specific app, that MAYBE could contain some PARTS of illegal stuff..."

Yes yes... The flap of a butterfly could cause a hurricane. :P

jm2c...