Leopard on HP Compaq 8510p?

lroig

23 posts in this topic

Is possible in HP Compaq 8510p install Leopard Kalyway 10.5.1 Intel ????

TGrafica: ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2600

Proces: Procesadores Intel® Core™2 Duo T7100 / T7300 / T7500 / T7700 / T7800 (de 1,80 a 2,60 GHz, bus frontal de 800 MHz, 2 o 4 MB de caché de nivel 2) o procesadores Intel® Core™2 Duo T8100 / T8300 / T9300 (de 2,10 a 2,50 GHz, bus frontal de 800 MHz, 3 o 6 MB de caché de nivel 2)

Duro: Disco duro Serial ATA de 80, 120 ó 160 GB (5400 rpm), u 80, 120 ó 160 GB (7200 rpm), HP 3D DriveGuard

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I attempted 10.5.0 on a HP 8510p off of an DVD image I created from the retail version. Had to start it up in Safe mode during install. Once installed, No QE/CI, no sound, no wireless, no network (Intell 82566 card).

I also tried Kalaway and iAtkos 10.5.1 and it wouldn't boot up after it installed so I gave up. I have 10.5.2 (just upgraded to 10.5.3) on at Lenovo X60 tablet so I'm in no rush to try Leopard on the 8510p though it would be sweet. I just downloaded Kalaway 10.5.2, so if I have free time, I may give it a shot.

From what I researched, built in network card will not work (no drivers yet). If you have an intel wireless card, that won't work either. HD 2600 mobility card, for those that got it working, will only work on an external monitor, which is silly since you want to run it on a laptop.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to try. Post your findings if you have success.

• 1 month later...

I've had some success with the 8510w. Same as the 8510p except nVidia graphics. I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel and no options. At that point, things not working were: graphics (low, default resolution), sound, ethernet, wireless, battery meter, USB, too hot.

First fix: Sound

Install this package: AppleAzaliaAudioADI1981.pkg.zip

This will give audio out of the laptop speakers. I don't think it works out the headphone jack or mic in, but I haven't tried.

Second fix: Graphics

Install the 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg (search around)

Obviously, this will only work for nVidia. And it will only enable you to change resolution, as there is no driver (as of yet) for the Quadro 570m.

Third fix: Too Hot

Remove Remove AppleCPUthermo.kext, and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext in /system/library/extensions

Fourth fix: USB

Download and install usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.zip

This leaves ethernet, wireless and battery meter. Ethernet I don't really care about, so I'm ignoring that problem. As for wireless, some poeple are working on a driver for the internal Intel 4965agn, but I think they are a long way off. Instead, I'm waiting on delivery of a Belkin USB wireless-n adapter (F5D8053) that supposedly has working drivers.

I can't seem to get the battery meter to show. The system refuses to believe it's a macbook instead of a mac pro. I may try the iatkos build to try to fix this.

• 2 months later...

Again, sorry for digging up an old thread.

I just wanted to add that I've got the Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my HP 8510w - octet1 may be interested to hear that the power management works correctly, INCLUDING the battery meter. Also the display is in it's native resolution (1920x1200) instead of 1024x768.

It seems to be down to the options I selected during the install (pressing the Customise button), because the first time I tried I left the default options and ended up with a low-res display and no power management options. I think I selected almost everything (ALL drivers, but no languages or AMD patches)

I'm going to try some of octet1's fixes for sound and the 'too hot' problem (the fan is on constantly). Will report back...

Edit: OK, have installed the sound patch, which means I now have sound but the headphone jack does NOT work for me. Another step forward! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently installed Kalyway OSX10.5.2 on my 8510w. I got an ethernet fix from here for the Intel82566MM.

Has anyone been able to get sleep for the 8510w to work, I tried the different kernels included in Kalyway but they didn't fix sleep. My 8510w also goes to a black screen (graphics glitch maybe?) during bootup and takes about 5 minutes to boot.

i try to install leo4all v3

but it's very slow to start

and sometimes (a lot of times) don't recognize touchpad and keyboard too

i try to install video drivers but don't work too

some suggests?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Again, sorry for digging up an old thread.

I just wanted to add that I've got the Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my HP 8510w - octet1 may be interested to hear that the power management works correctly, INCLUDING the battery meter. Also the display is in it's native resolution (1920x1200) instead of 1024x768.

It seems to be down to the options I selected during the install (pressing the Customise button), because the first time I tried I left the default options and ended up with a low-res display and no power management options. I think I selected almost everything (ALL drivers, but no languages or AMD patches)

I'm going to try some of octet1's fixes for sound and the 'too hot' problem (the fan is on constantly). Will report back...

Edit: OK, have installed the sound patch, which means I now have sound but the headphone jack does NOT work for me. Another step forward! ;)

Hi!

You have ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600, and Native res and QE/CI?????

Please tell me!!

Thanks!

roberTO

I also failed getting the Ideneb 10.5.5 to install.

I got the following error: EBIOS read error : Error 0x04

Block 8771552 Sectors 64

xmflsct: did you get the same error?

I didn't got that error..i just got an error that never got down the computer. it started again and again..

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't got that error..i just got an error that never got down the computer. it started again and again..

Hmm, weird.

I'm going to try out a few other distros and see if they work better.

I hope someone fixes some drivers, so everything works though. :P

I've managed to get OSX running on an 8510p except for the following:

- full video (still no known drivers)

I got wireless to work by changing the card with an HP Broadcom one.

I believe I used Leo4All 10.5.2 and updated all the way to 10.5.4

For those that get slow bootup, you'll need to find the drivers on this site for the PCMCIA slots. It's a package that installs quickly. I wish i had the direct link.

Audio can also be found on this site, again it's a package that can be installed.

I've sinced removed OSX, since I couldn't get full video.

• 3 months later...

My experiences with iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) on an HP 8510p (comments, corrections or advise would be appreciated):

The Bad

No internal display

No audio on line-out

No sleep/hibernate

The Somewhat Bad

Runs hot

Wireless only supports unprotected access points

The Good

Rest mostly works, such as...

Full QE/CI and resolution on external display

LAN fully functional

Tips

Install and first reboot takes around 10 minutes - be patient

Choose the ATI Radeon HD2400 PCIe during installation

Install CardBus/PCMCIA PC Card support immediately to reduce boot time

Basic wireless support for the 4965agn from http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

• 4 months later...

Hi sorry for bumping such an old thread but I can't get iDeneb 1.4 (os 10.5.6) to work because I don't know what options to pick. I have the HP 8510w which is similar to 8510p I think. It installs fine but when I boot it up, it says "waiting for root device" or something similar. this probably has to do with the options I picked because I tried once w/o choosing anything and once with choosing most (yea I know I shouldn't install more than one audio driver and such but I really wanted to work). what options did you guys pick for this laptop?

• 8 months later...
My experiences with iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) on an HP 8510p (comments, corrections or advise would be appreciated):

The Bad

No internal display

No audio on line-out

No sleep/hibernate

The Somewhat Bad

Runs hot

The Good

LAN fully functional

Tips

Hi Guys, I've got an 8510P too and I'm having a heck of a time installing Snow Leopard on it!

I have been using the Grub-DFE Loader and when I go to switch out the cd for the Snow one, it says "loading" then the screen goes completely black! A friend of mine told me that I need to change my BIOS to acpi, does anyone know how to do that? He says I need to flash it....

I'm a newb and am trying to do this by myself, any help would be appreciated! :)

The Bad

No internal display

No audio on line-out

No sleep/hibernate

The Somewhat Bad

Runs hot

The Good

LAN fully functional

Tips

Hi Guys, I've got an 8510P too and I'm having a heck of a time installing Snow Leopard on it!

I have been using the Grub-DFE Loader and when I go to switch out the cd for the Snow one, it says "loading" then the screen goes completely black! A friend of mine told me that I need to change my BIOS to acpi, does anyone know how to do that? He says I need to flash it....

I'm a newb and am trying to do this by myself, any help would be appreciated! :)

• 3 months later...

Hey, Snow leopard works well on the 8510op.

I used snowosx 3.6a with the default settings.

after it is install, you need to use the -s option in the first reboot. then delete all the ATI kexts (if you have an ATI GPU like mine.) Then reboot and it should do into snow leopard.

I used Voodoohda for the sound and voodoo battery for battery status in the menu bar. and install the Intel NIC kext

( you can upgrade to 10.6.4. after the upgrade you have to do -s and delete all the ATI kexts again.)

put "graphics mode"="1680x1040x32" (or your screen res) into com.apple.boot.plist

What works

Wireless, Network, touchpad, keyboard, bluetooth, sound,

what does not work

- voodoo battery caused it to kernel panic a few times. no Core graphics support unless you have the nvidia 570.

- reports as 3GHz and runs hot.

-DVD player not working