Solving USB problems; USB devices do not mount

LioNEXT

408 posts in this topic

oh yea. thats a good point i missed. may be that is why it worked for me after this lingon app. netkas 9.2.0 shutdown kernel/time-machine-update system and all recent updates kexts.
If you're using a 9.2.2 kernel, make sure you are also using the 9.2.2 system.kext You can get it from the time-machine update using pacifist. Everything works perfectly.
Actually I don't know how to get the 9.2.2 system.kext from the time-machine update using pacifist...BIG ROOKIE..!! ;)Can you help me a little bit more?Thanks!!!
Actually I don't know how to get the 9.2.2 system.kext from the time-machine update using pacifist...BIG ROOKIE..!! ;) Can you help me a little bit more?Thanks!!!
nevermind! just need to find the package... any shortcuts??

Actually I don't know how to get the 9.2.2 system.kext from the time-machine update using pacifist...BIG ROOKIE..!! ;)Can you help me a little bit more?Thanks!!! nevermind! just need to find the package... any shortcuts??

Here is apple download page. Download the time-machine update.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Uncompress the download dmg to get the installer package, thats orangish open box. drag that to your desktop, and then you can eject the dmg disk if you want.

Download Pacifist, if you already dont have one.

Run pacifist, and click on open installer and point to this installer. Then I think you should read a little about Pacifist to figure out how to use that app.

Here is apple download page. Download the time-machine update.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Uncompress the download dmg to get the installer package, thats orangish open box. drag that to your desktop, and then you can eject the dmg disk if you want.

Download Pacifist, if you already dont have one.

Run pacifist, and click on open installer and point to this installer. Then I think you should read a little about Pacifist to figure out how to use that app.

ipoz, I really appreciate all the help!

did install system.kext, rebooted, checked all kexts are loaded, but nothing..

typed uname -a and got this:

Darwin Macintosh.local 9.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Wed Oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

now what?! i'm lost man.. help!!

ipoz, I really appreciate all the help!did install system.kext, rebooted, checked all kexts are loaded, but nothing..typed uname -a and got this:Darwin Macintosh.local 9.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Wed Oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228.0.2~1/RELEASE_I386 i386now what?! i'm lost man.. help!!
just installed full Time Machine update, and now I can long into my iPhone as a shared server device, but no iTunes..my external USB HD is still dead...the iPhone was previously synced to my PC, not sure if this is a problem..:D x 1,000ok, now i am definitely at 9.2.2:Darwin Macintosh.local 9.2.2 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386still nothing... ;(

zdj-,

i was going to post you about ur earlier post aobut 9.1.0 kernel. have you systematically updated. 10.5.1, security update, 10.5.2, graphic update, security update, time-machine update. kernel should obviously be 9.2.0 at least. You can try Netkas' 9.2.0 kernel if that can help. But your external usb hd should show up. is it properly formatted and have you ever been able to connect it before on mac os x.

ur iphone problem reminds me of my ipod that was synced to my mac and then wont let me connect on a pc. may be that is the problem. someone else here want to have any say about this scenario.

yea, so again, i would recommend that if things are so bad, use the recent kalyway 10.5.2 iso dvd released and install with that.

can u also point out what configuration, desktop/laptop you have and which install.

zdj-,

i was going to post you about ur earlier post aobut 9.1.0 kernel. have you systematically updated. 10.5.1, security update, 10.5.2, graphic update, security update, time-machine update. kernel should obviously be 9.2.0 at least. You can try Netkas' 9.2.0 kernel if that can help. But your external usb hd should show up. is it properly formatted and have you ever been able to connect it before on mac os x.

ur iphone problem reminds me of my ipod that was synced to my mac and then wont let me connect on a pc. may be that is the problem. someone else here want to have any say about this scenario.

yea, so again, i would recommend that if things are so bad, use the recent kalyway 10.5.2 iso dvd released and install with that.

can u also point out what configuration, desktop/laptop you have and which install.

hi ipoz, sorry for the late reply, just reformated, reinstalled and did all upgrades.. now i'm good :)

loading 9.2.0 Netka's just fine, but still missing com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

* This is the message I get out of Terminal *

>> sh-3.2# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily: no such bundle file exists

can't add kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (file access/permissions) (run kextload on this kext with -t for diagnostic output)

nothing loads out of USB.. tryed Canon camera, iPhone, HDs, pen drives...

still don't know what to do..

I am running on a Pavillion 8230us laptop:

1.66 GHz Core Duo

1GB DDR2 SDRAM

nvidia go7600 (unrecognized)

FUJITSU MHV2080BH 80GB x 2

Intel Pro 100 Ethernet

Conexant Audio output ok, input and mike not working

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x27c8

PCI Revision ID: 0x0001

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0x1d

manually loading gives me this:

sh-3.2# kextload -b /System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

can't find extension with identifier /System/Library/Extensions/com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

:)

ok, now all kexts up and running, automated with Lingon - checked 3 options:

- KEEP IT RUNNING ALL THE TIME;

- RUN WHEN ITS LOADED BY SYSTEM;

- RUN EVERYTIME A VOLUME IS MOUNTED.

after rebooting:

Last login: Mon Apr 14 02:03:19 on ttys000

Macintosh:~ EA$ kextstat | grep "USB"

42 7 0x213b3000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.8) <7 6 5 4>

43 0 0x2140c000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (3.0.7) <42 17 7 6 5 4>

44 0 0x214b0000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.7) <42 17 7 6 5 4>

64 0 0x29a55000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <42 6 5 4>

65 0 0x29abc000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.7) <42 6 5 4>

115 0 0x2134d000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.5) <42 21 6 5 4>

116 0 0x214c2000 0xa000 0x9000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass (2.0.0) <53 42 40 12>

117 0 0x1ad51000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <42 5 4>

I can access my iPhone under Finder/ Shared (as a server), and browse through all files, but nothing on iTunes..

still no HD, no camera, nothing...

I'm lost man..

i cant seem to get my built in isight working ether im wondering if it could be kernal/.kext file related if anybody knows id appreciate an answer (it wasnt working with tiger before my leopard update ether) and thanks ipoz for help earlier! defiantly appreciatedi cant seem to get my built in isight working ether im wondering if it could be kernal/.kext file related if anybody knows id appreciate an answer (it wasnt working with tiger before my leopard update ether) and thanks ipoz for help earlier! defiantly appreciated

ok guys, problem solved!

downloaded kalyway 10.5.2, "lingoned" kexts and all good!

I know it's off-topic, but I maneged to install iPhone firmware 2.0 in Windows..

if anyone cares, pls let me know..

Could an app like this, or another that you might know of, disengage the applehda.kext at shutdown so that I can shutdown my laptop fully? It seems that I can have working sound with the Taruga alc628/applehda.kext - or I can have complete shutdown. It's very frustrating.

Could an app like this, or another that you might know of, disengage the applehda.kext at shutdown so that I can shutdown my laptop fully? It seems that I can have working sound with the Taruga alc628/applehda.kext - or I can have complete shutdown. It's very frustrating.

Seems feasible. You would simply make a new user deamon with kextunload -v AppleHDA.kext & trigger it at shutdown.

I have the same issues as you with shutdown. I am going to work on this.

EDIT:

kextunload -v /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

& it works if done manually.

That is what you would want to run at shutdown but lingon wont do it. There is no option to run something at shutdown.

EDIT2:

Well even if you do it it does not matter instead of no shutdown your presented with a panic anyway. So its pointless. Get rid of one problem and another appears.

shutdown problems:

Have you tried Netkas 9.2.0 kernel. that fixed all shutdown problems for me. Give it a shot

Yeah I got that kernel also. Actually my shutdown problem went away even with appleHDA being used. It had to do with a new powermgmt bundle did the trick. Now my system sees that I am on AC it will shutdown correctly.

THANKS for the support.

I had the same problem with the usb pen devices (memory and bluetooth).

In System.kext i have 9.2.2 version in .plist and the kernel (about this mac-more information-software) 9.2.0

I have a hackintosh with the new Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, and after install i try to install every kernel (i don't know what's the last i had install...)

In de dvd it's the time machine update (has the kernel 9.2.2 and the system.kext 9.2.2 too)

I install this package.

This resolves the fix to mount usb device. :(

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

I had the same problem with the usb pen devices (memory and bluetooth).

In System.kext i have 9.2.2 version in .plist and the kernel (about this mac-more information-software) 9.2.0

I have a hackintosh with the new Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, and after install i try to install every kernel (i don't know what's the last i had install...)

In de dvd it's the time machine update (has the kernel 9.2.2 and the system.kext 9.2.2 too)

I install this package.

This resolves the fix to mount usb device. :whistle:

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Good for you. -_-

i am glad it helped. If you ever use a system utility to clear out all the caches, remember to restart twice. Somehow, on first restart after cleaning out all caches, etc, this utility does not fire up the command. but on second boot it does. hope this helps.

In Terminal type: kextstat | grep "USB"

see what CFBundleIdentifier (or kexts are loaded) and see if you get all these (post here if you are n00b):

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

In my case, it was only the last one (IOUSBMassStorageClass) which would not load. Therefore, I used the above Lingon application to create a daemon to run that command at every startup, so that the kext was loaded. Ever since I had no problem. (my case was same, upgrading to latest leopard upgrade and no USB)

It looks to me though all of these USB's kexts must be loaded. So if you find one or more of these not loaded, then create separate daemon for each of the kexts using the method i described. Enable each of them, and save. It should work fine. Let us know if this works.

[EDIT: It will also be better if you first manually load these kexts in Terminal using

kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/ExtensionNameHere.kext

For eg., manually loading IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext fired up all the attached USB devices immediately. So surely, that diagnosed the problem for me. My understanding is that kexts and kernel should match for proper loading. So also making sure kexts are recent will help, or at least should not conflict with kernel.]

thanks i had to enable 4 of them but USB works now :lol: One issue down a few more to go, most notably some sort of internet wired or wirelss

thanks i had to enable 4 of them but USB works now :blink: One issue down a few more to go, most notably some sort of internet wired or wirelss

good to know. Now I can safely say that if USB problem cannot be solved by this method, it is not related to usb kexts not loading but some other underlying system issue.

For people ,who have P35 (ICH9R )series Board, and using Kalyway10.5.2 DVD with USB issue. Please do just install " Lingon" ( really easy ), and do what LioNEXT says on the first page, ur USB ISSUE will be solved definitely.

I did ^^ , actually it's quite annoying me , but now it's gone....

Here are 2 little tricks:

Trick 1:

If someone installed Kalyway10.5.2 DVD with 9.2.2 sleep kernel. Ok, then ur restart/sleep works, you just do what he said that download the Lingon and do a simple 3 steps , then ur USB Issue will be solved definitely.

Trick 2:

In longin window, like the link he provided , in the second step, just copy/paste the following command only:

kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

DO NOT enter the full extension path or kext, otherwise it won't work.

Done.

Thanks LioNEXT ^^

For people ,who have P35 (ICH9R )series Board, and using Kalyway10.5.2 DVD with USB issue. Please do just install " Lingon" ( really easy ), and do what LioNEXT says on the first page, ur USB ISSUE will be solved definitely.I did ^^ , actually it's quite annoying me , but now it's gone....Here are 2 little tricks:Trick 1: If someone installed Kalyway10.5.2 DVD with 9.2.2 sleep kernel. Ok, then ur restart/sleep works, you just do what he said that download the Lingon and do a simple 3 steps , then ur USB Issue will be solved definitely.Trick 2:In longin window, like the link he provided , in the second step, just copy/paste the following command only:kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClassDO NOT enter the full extension path or kext, otherwise it won't work.Done.Thanks LioNEXT ^^
also, tweak the lingon application. for example, run indefinitely no matter what -- keeps the command running every 10 second (overkill but does not hurt any performance) or run every 1 hour. Although for me, checking just one of the option (run on start up) works good enough, but due to the plethora of hardware that people have here, I thought it might be good idea if you were to give it a little bit longer try than just give up with the options i posted.
Thanks, mate.it works for me, and also thanks for teaching me modestly.
I can understand how frustrating it feels while starting as a n00b. but never give up. B+nJoy the tweaking fun that hackintosh gives. :D Frankly, I learnt a lot about mac system internal after starting this hackintosh project. It always bothered me that I dont know much about mac internal even after 5 years of switching. That was after 8 years of windoze experience where i was very well comfortable in System folder and registry tweakings. B)