The Official SATA thread

Swad

94 posts in this topic

I've got a related but different issue that I think has to do with sata:

I have no Ide/PATA on board, only sata. Because of that, i have been unable to do a JaS/Install DVD install on my Machine because of "still waiting for root device". I doubt the Disk I used had the AppleVIAATA.kext on it. My mobo, however, has ich8. Are there any kexts that i can slip into my existing isos to make the thing install? Also, i heard that Uphuck 1.3 fixes a lot of the issues with sata/root device problems, will that fix my problem too?

• 1 month later...

Hi, even after reading many posts about it, I am still at a loss about ATA/SATA compatibility and AHCI modes. Could somebody please help me?Basically, I need AHCI mode for SATA to be recognised in osX86? And there is chipset drivers for AHSI (like ICH7R is supported well I heard?) and Generic AHCI drivers which might work with the other not southbridge controller (e.g. JMicron on some boards)?And when I enable AHCI for both, do both get recognised, one by the specific driver (better speed maybe, with ICH7) and the other by generic driver, or do both fall back to generic driver (lesser speed?) ?And second, I have two options for board - 975X with ICH7 and JMicron, where the IDE is on ICH7 southbridge, and P35 where the IDE is on another controller... How will IDE work with them?I need IDE support even from OSX, mostly for IDE data disks, I don't care if I will boot OSX from SATA or IDE...So, in AHCI mode, does IDE work well on the ICH7R? And in AHCI mode, does IDE work well on the other controller (not southbridge) in P35 boards?That was for HDDs. Now how about IDE DVD burners?I can install from USB DVD without problems, but it's the later usage of disks and burners that I am concerned about and which the situation is not clear to me.Thanks a lot for any clarification.Just for record, I am considering between ASUS P5W WS 64 (supports all CPU from P-D duo trough C2Q Q6600 to upcoming Penryn) and GIGABYTE P35 DS4 mobo (supports C2D/Q to Penryn). I will buy Q6600 probably for it - enough power for me (my soft can use the 4 cores well), so later Penryn upgrade is not so hot, unless something like new photoshop needs SSE4 instructions. I don't game, I don't overclock. Well I game occassionaly, but the games I still play run in DOSBOX only ;-)So it will be workstation, no overclock, for stability in the long run.Thanks FJust to add, I am looking for stability, and IDE+SATA compatibility. If it works in P35 platform too, I would be glad - it's cheaper and newer. If I need IDE controller in Southbridge, I will go for ICH7 board.Related, what's the deal on HotPlug of SATA drives? And eSATA? I wanted to use a eSATA port multiplier multidrive external HDD enclosure, the ICH9 has port multiplier capability built-in, would it work in OSx86? Or at least eSATA hotplugging? I need at least the hotplug for archiving to HDD.I could do this dualbooting in Windows, but if I could in OSX, just the better...F(sorry about the formatting of paragraphs - they showed right in the preview - dunno why so mangled now) - F

I know there are newer motherboards out there, but the Intel Bad Axe 2 is still reasonably new and extremely compatible with OSX (especially with uphuck's latest installer). I've only been running my system using AHCI from the beginning because that's how I set up windows xp and I didn't want to have to make a bios setting change every time I booted into OSX. OSX recognizes, reads and writes to all drives. ICH7R chipset works great as does the additional Marvell controller for the other 4 drives. Bad Axe uses 975X.

I know there are newer motherboards out there, but the Intel Bad Axe 2 is still reasonably new and extremely compatible with OSX (especially with uphuck's latest installer). I've only been running my system using AHCI from the beginning because that's how I set up windows xp and I didn't want to have to make a bios setting change every time I booted into OSX. OSX recognizes, reads and writes to all drives. ICH7R chipset works great as does the additional Marvell controller for the other 4 drives. Bad Axe uses 975X.

How did you manage to boot from the AHCI drive?

I have ICH7R (RAID mode) and cannot boot from SATA II. The Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3 install DVD can access my (non RAID) drives during install, but after the install the machine cannot boot.

I am sure that the Uphuck works on my system, because I have installed and used it on an external USB2 drive with no problem. From this I also see the (non RAID) AHCI drive with AppleAHCIDiskDriver.

Cheers,

koverg

ps. I need the RAID mode because I have 2x250 GB in RAID0 (Windows and Linux access it via driver and dmraid). By the way! Does somebody working on porting dmraid to OSX?

• 4 weeks later...

i've got a dfi infinity board with ich7r and it saw my sata drive.  i had to do some tweaking in the bios, but nothing major.  

everything goes perfectly untill it finishs checking my install disk, as soon as it starts the actual install it says "installation failed" or something like that.  it says it imediately.  anybody have any idea what this could be from?  it stumped me because i dont know where to even start to try and troubleshoot

hi there...

i am very happy to join u guys but i have a little problem when installing osx ,,everything goes fine till the disk utility stage ..the three partitions i had appears normally, when i select one to format it as (Mac OS Extended (Journaled))..and then click erase the progress bar appears and after it finishes nothing happens (just the name of the partition changes ...what can i do to overcome this problem ...

i was installing Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1] on 300 GB sata HDD...

please help me as u can ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I installed jas 10.4.6 worked quite well except for graphics which defaulted to 1024x768. My system is working but for some reason it came up with a message on startup that this file "AppleVIAATA.kext" isnt properly installed or corrupted. I dont know if I got myself clear before but the system was working without the above problem for some days and ofcourse I could access my SATA drive.

I thought I could work around the problem by updating to 10.4.7 which that to worked great, but the mentioned problem still exists.

Any Ideas?

ASRock P4VM890

Pentium 4 HT 2,6GHz

1024Mb RAM

Gigabyte 7300GS 256MB

80GB ATA Western Digital (MacDrive) - jas 10.4.7

80GB SATA Excelstore

17" LG TFT

My ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (Intel 875P AGPset with the ICH5SR southbridge) has no issues with SATA (except no RAID support on the OS X side). My PATA drive (where OS X 10.4.10 is) sees my Vista SATA drive just fine (and so do my apps, from Word to iTunes). My only real quibble has nothing to do with SATA, but file-format/codec issues (multimedia files; specifically, all the WMV files on my Vista partition); however, I did state that it is a quibble.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I installed jas 10.4.6 worked quite well except for graphics which defaulted to 1024x768. My system is working but for some reason it came up with a message on startup that this file "AppleVIAATA.kext" isnt properly installed or corrupted. I dont know if I got myself clear before but the system was working without the above problem for some days and ofcourse I could access my SATA drive.

I thought I could work around the problem by updating to 10.4.7 which that to worked great, but the mentioned problem still exists.

Any Ideas?

ASRock P4VM890

Pentium 4 HT 2,6GHz

1024Mb RAM

Gigabyte 7300GS 256MB

80GB ATA Western Digital (MacDrive) - jas 10.4.7

80GB SATA Excelstore

17" LG TFT

easy... you need to repair permissions guided in threads here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a P5E-VM HDMI mobo with BIOS 604 which allow hotplug of SATA drives.

Now I can Eject a eSATA drive and disconnect without problems.

When I reconnect, it won't mount automatically, I have to go in Disk Utility and do the mount.

Is there a way to handle SATA events in a similar way as for USB ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Leo4all V3, Leo4all V3 + JaS 10.5.3 patch (I could install but then it didn't boot), and Leo4all v4.1 (I can't even install) and none of them works for me.

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with VIA8237 Sata controller. AppleVIAATA can't find my harddisk

Error message

Waiting for root device

I tried Leo4all V3, Leo4all V3 + JaS 10.5.3 patch (I could install but then it didn't boot), and Leo4all v4.1 (I can't even install) and none of them works for me.

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard with VIA8237 Sata controller. AppleVIAATA can't find my harddisk

Error message

Waiting for root device

maybe try set ur sata as ahci can work?

• 3 months later...

Hi people, hope this is the correct thread to ask :)

How well is fakeraid / dmraid supported in OS X Leopard? I have a dmraid setup where I wanna install OS X on one of the partitions.

ASUS P5Q PRO, 2xSEAGATE HD Cuda disks, if that matters :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone,

My SATA drives are not working, I've a M3N78-EMH HDMI. He keeps saying during installation: Still wait for root device. In Disk Utitity he shows my partitions but the drives are read-only :D

So I can't erase partitions, format or create partitions.

Does somebody have experience with his?

Are there any drivers I can use?

Thank you for in advance

• 1 month later...
Asus P5VD2-VM SE (VT8237S southbridge) cannot work without theStevo 4.5 patch

and the system freeze at bootloader on second boot even patch is installed

On Asus P5VD2-VM (VT8237A) works out of the box by setting RAID mode for the controller.

• 1 year later...
Not true, I used the VIA SATA patch included in HoTiSO version of macOSx install DVD and my SATA works just fine

Drives are recognized without any issue.

Can you give me the exact name of that .iso? I've tried everything from Kalyway to Leo4all and none of them pick up my HD! (I dont have the option to switch my Hard drive to AHCI in my BIOS unfortunately, so I really need to know the name of this .iso) please PM me!

• 3 weeks later...