Mac Memory vs "Regular Memory" upgrading the memory MBP

22 posts in this topic

Now as I believe, Mac memory is basically memory but with the "Mac" in it's description.

One could get the 200 pin PC5300 at 667mhz regular laptop memory on the cheap. The lowest i've seen for 4gb's is about 80 bucks on newegg.

Now the "mac" memory section at newegg has Kingston 4gb for 104.99 or something to that affect.

Is there such a difference?

Some say that Macs can be picky about their memory chips; I can't confirm or deny any of this.

Although, I've also seen this in PCs. I remember 2 different boards from different manufacturers which used an Intel 815 chipset (socket 370), which didn't work well with some memory chips/modules. Incidentally, I have one such board here at home as a router running SmoothWall Express, and the memory in it is one of those unsuitable types, however I manually forced the memory clock to 100MHz instead of 133 and it's ok.

What I can suggest is that you find out the part number of the memory chips or modules before buying and search to see whether there have been reported problems in Macs with these modules.

Some say that Macs can be picky about their memory chips; I can't confirm or deny any of this.

What I can suggest is that you find out the part number of the memory chips or modules before buying and search to see whether there have been reported problems in Macs with these modules.

I've read the book and it states that it's 200 pin 667mhz DDR2.

So I got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134578

a reviewer said he or she got it for the macbook and it works flawlessly. That's not the reason I got it though but it reassures me.

I've never bought so-called "Mac" memory (though I have bought from Mac-friendly stores like Transintl and OWC). I have always tried to get RAM with chips made by the same company Apple's stock RAM uses (Samsung, Micron, Hynix, etc). Not sure what they're using these days though.

I'm upgrading an iMac g4 with a stick of 667 SODIMM 200-pin RAM I pulled from a dell laptop with a dead HD. It had the same specs as the iMac g4's RAM, so I guess I'll just see what happens. Also upgrading to OS X 10.5 and iLife '06. I can't find my iLife '08 install disk. -coughcough-

• 2 weeks later...
I updated my MacBook's memory from 1GB to 2GB using memory from Crucial.com. Works very well and is fast too. (+ a very good price)

Crucial.com is the place.

Hi Bro, may i know which exact pairs you are using? Worried later when I've bought it and incompatible. :P