please help me with sheepshaver, os9 on intel mac

14 posts in this topic

hey everyone.

I have searched far and wide on ways to get sheep shaver to work. i have gone through about 5 links which have the ROM files on them but none of them work.

Could somebody please help me get OS 9.0.4 to run on my MacBook Pro. i have read that i need the program SheepShaver, the Mac OS 9.0.4 disc, and also a ROM file?????. i think the reason why i cant do it is because of the ROM file. some sites have been saying that i need to use some "tomeviewer" or something to extract the ROM from an Apple update ROM file, but this "tomeviewer" program only works on mac os and not os x. this part bewilders me...am i supposed to use a classic program if that what im trying to install :) anyway. i have found some ROM files but when i load them onto SheepShavers it says something about being the incorrect size. they are only 1mb and from what i have read they should be 4mb?.

how

could somebody please help me with this?? does anyone have a link to a real fully working ROM or some instructions that dont involve me using a classic mac because i dont have one. it broke a few years ago and i chucked it out. (unfortunately). i know this has been already asked on the forums but i dont understand what some people have said. im only in my early teens and id really love to have has os 9 on my mac.

thank-you so much for anybody that helps me in anyway. i would be forever grateful and if there is anything you need in return, you name it!

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed COI "Chubby Bunny" and can start OS 9.04. However, I have no clue how to run my classic apps using this system. Within the COI window are a few classic apps, but how I can I add others to it?

Search on the Net for ...COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny "

then u got your 9.0.4 workin out of the Box

All is well by now, I figured out how to do it.

I installed COI "Chubby Bunny" and can start OS 9.04. However, I have no clue how to run my classic apps using this system. Within the COI window are a few classic apps, but how I can I add others to it?

• 1 month later...
All is well by now, I figured out how to do it.

Well if you figured out maybe you could give me a hand =)

Quick bit of background, I don't know anything about Macs... at all really, trying to help a friend out (though I will be getting one in a couple of weeks!). I've got the COI up and running, and I've got the 1200 MB drive mounted in the USERS/SHARED folder, and when I open up the UNIX icon on the OS9, it shows the 1200 MB drive as a green file, and says "The document 1.2Gig could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

Also, when I try mounting the disc images (in the USERS/SHARED folder) for the app I want to run, THEY show up as little green files with the same message.

Anyone know whats going on?

Please tell me I'm missing something simple ;)

• 1 month later...

I thought this might be the right thread to post on cause I also have a problem with sheepshaver 4.0.1. Chubby Bunny. It runs on my MacBook, but each time I run it, the fan starts going off it seems to really be using the processing power and ram of the system. This is weird because my lappy has a 2.4 GHz processor and 2Gb ram and the fan hardly ever goes off even when I have firefox, iTunes, iMovie and other {censored} open at the same time. Furthermore, I'm trying to run starcraft on sheepshaver, which even lags sometimes with the lappy almost vibrating presumably because of the fan and processor working at full capacity... and sheepshaver's freezed several times, I suspect because of this. Within Sheepshaver, I've set the virtual memory to it's highest, 256 Mb, which should be more than enough because the starcraft manuel says it needs no more than 32 Mb. Does anyone know what to do? I'd really appreciate any input, even guesses.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

SheepShaver doesn't support virtual memory on mac os, so setting it is useless.

SheepShaver emulates a G4 processor on your Intel processor, so it will consume large amounts of processing power. However, it should release that when idle.

You might want to try a newer version of SheepShaver to replace the one ChubbyBunny ships with. Look at the forum here: http://www.emaculation.com

Cat_7

• 1 month later...

Did you ever get this to work? I have exactly the same problem and as much as I search for a solution I'm coming up dry.

---------

Well if you figured out maybe you could give me a hand =)

Quick bit of background, I don't know anything about Macs... at all really, trying to help a friend out (though I will be getting one in a couple of weeks!). I've got the COI up and running, and I've got the 1200 MB drive mounted in the USERS/SHARED folder, and when I open up the UNIX icon on the OS9, it shows the 1200 MB drive as a green file, and says "The document 1.2Gig could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators."

Also, when I try mounting the disc images (in the USERS/SHARED folder) for the app I want to run, THEY show up as little green files with the same message.

Anyone know whats going on?

Please tell me I'm missing something simple :D

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

In OS X, you drag the apps you want to use into the Users/Shared folder. From there you access them from the "unix" disk on the desktop in OS 9 Finder. Or you can install using a CD install disc when using OS 9.

Read the documentation that came with COI. It tells you how to increase the size of it's HDD and more. The HDD for COI is an invisible file inside of COI, as is it's preference file which you can modify if you wanted to.

• 2 months later...
In OS X, you drag the apps you want to use into the Users/Shared folder. From there you access them from the "unix" disk on the desktop in OS 9 Finder. Or you can install using a CD install disc when using OS 9.

Read the documentation that came with COI. It tells you how to increase the size of it's HDD and more. The HDD for COI is an invisible file inside of COI, as is it's preference file which you can modify if you wanted to.

TomeViewer is a Classic application used to extract Mac OS ROM Update Tome, stored in the Shared folder, Unix volume for CDI, then transferred under CDI in the appications folder.

Under the OS X Finder it appears as a Classic application, but under CDI Finder it appears as a document, so I cannot launch it

• 1 month later...

Here's a problem I doubt anyone would expect.

I'm running Sheepshaver Mac OS 8.6 on my Intel MacBook Pro (January 2008), and I got it to run some old games for nostalgia's sake.

My problem is that it runs too FAST. TOO FAST. It boots up and responds like a miracle, but I can't get through the game with it going double- and triple-time!

I started by giving it 128 MB of memory, then 32 MB (the lowest setting), then 256 MB. Maybe it was my imagination, but I thought it was running even faster with less memory. I also tried setting the memory of the game (Power Pete) to even lower than 5113 kb, and it didn't even crash. It ran just as fast.

Surely, there is some way to slow this thing down! I'm not totally illiterate, though I suppose I'm not the sharpest man for the job. Anyone have any ideas?