OS X on The PS3

Rob G

37 posts in this topic

I want it beacause if you can run linux on your ps3 you should be able to run os x, It would be nice to have that in the living room, For The Blu Ray Play back and the ability to Play iTunes on the tv with out apple tv.

The darwin sources are opensource, so just start to compile those. Then you should just program the gui. Simple, tell me when you're finished... oh wait, you didn't meant that you should do it? By we you meant that someone should do it for you???

So Headrush you dont think OS X on PS3 would be worth the work. I think it would be cool to be able to watch itunes Download movies and tv shows on your tv without apple tv. SuperHai, I dont mean every one do it for me I Have been trying I cant get Any disk to boot on the PS3. Im just looking for help.

From what I heard it is possible to install Mac OS X on a PS3 but it would indeed take some work. Just wondering but what kind of processor does the PS3 have?
Here Is What Wiki Says About The PS3s Processor The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is disabled to improve production yields. The floating point performance of the whole system (CPU + GPU) is reported to be 2 TFLOPS.[1] PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves 204 GFLOPS single precision float and 15 GFLOPS double precision. The PS3 has 256 MB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed. As of firmware update 2.0101478, 32 MB of the XDR memory is reserved by the PS3's XrossMediaBar user interface.

To install Any other OS On the PS3 you Need to first install the boot-loader and thats where I am having problems.

And as far as i can tell the PS3s CPU is considered a powerPC so this is going to be difficult.

OS X can be run on the Cell processor, IBM demoed it when they were first showing off the power of the Cell chip before the PS3 was even out... there's a video of it somewhere on Google Video or YouTube out there..

The darwin sources are opensource, so just start to compile those. Then you should just program the gui. Simple, tell me when you're finished... oh wait, you didn't meant that you should do it? By we you meant that someone should do it for you???

Oh snap!

but I do agree with you

• 1 month later...

cell has PPC with altivec, enough for osx, but ps3 has hypervisor which makes thigns harder, if smbd wanna port linux-ps3 patches to darwin kernel - u r welcome, then need to write bootloader to boot kernel on ps3 :(, then start working on drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

The cell really isn't PPC architecture, IBM just calls everything PPC. The 360 would have a better chance doing it, seeing the cpu in the 360 matches ppc arch used in older macs way more than the cell.

The cell really isn't PPC architecture, IBM just calls everything PPC. The 360 would have a better chance doing it, seeing the cpu in the 360 matches ppc arch used in older macs way more than the cell.

True. Bill Gates said that himself :).