• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I Really Want To Get OS X on The PS3. I Know Driver Problems Will Pop up but we can handle them. We Did it with osx86.

thespottedelf

thespottedelf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
i'm curious what would be the main reason to want it? is it just for the sake of messing around with it? From what i've heard the proccesor is far from roboust... is it just the hdmi and blueray?

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I want it beacause if you can run linux on your ps3 you should be able to run os x, It would be nice to have that in the living room, For The Blu Ray Play back and the ability to Play iTunes on the tv with out apple tv.

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
The darwin sources are opensource, so just start to compile those. Then you should just program the gui. Simple, tell me when you're finished... oh wait, you didn't meant that you should do it? By we you meant that someone should do it for you???

Espionage724

Espionage724

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
From what I heard it is possible to isntall Mac OS X on a PS3 but it would indeed take some work. Just wondering but what kind of processor does the PS3 have?

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
Considering that access to hardware acceleration of the RSX is just in infancy with Linux on PS3, even if you got OS X running it would probably be without CI and QE. (so not so pleasant.)

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
So Headrush you dont think OS X on PS3 would be worth the work. I think it would be cool to be able to watch itunes Download movies and tv shows on your tv without apple tv. SuperHai, I dont mean every one do it for me I Have been trying I cant get Any disk to boot on the PS3. Im just looking for help.

From what I heard it is possible to install Mac OS X on a PS3 but it would indeed take some work. Just wondering but what kind of processor does the PS3 have?

Here Is What Wiki Says About The PS3s Processor The PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A seventh runs in a special mode and is dedicated to aspects of the OS and security, and an eighth is disabled to improve production yields. The floating point performance of the whole system (CPU + GPU) is reported to be 2 TFLOPS.[1] PlayStation 3's Cell CPU achieves 204 GFLOPS single precision float and 15 GFLOPS double precision. The PS3 has 256 MB of Rambus XDR DRAM, clocked at CPU die speed. As of firmware update 2.0101478, 32 MB of the XDR memory is reserved by the PS3's XrossMediaBar user interface.

To install Any other OS On the PS3 you Need to first install the boot-loader and thats where I am having problems.

And as far as i can tell the PS3s CPU is considered a powerPC so this is going to be difficult.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
OS X can be run on the Cell processor, IBM demoed it when they were first showing off the power of the Cell chip before the PS3 was even out... there's a video of it somewhere on Google Video or YouTube out there..

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

So Headrush you dont think OS X on PS3 would be worth the work.

Nope.

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I still want to do it, Just to say its been done.

Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 807 posts

The darwin sources are opensource, so just start to compile those. Then you should just program the gui. Simple, tell me when you're finished... oh wait, you didn't meant that you should do it? By we you meant that someone should do it for you???

Oh snap!

but I do agree with you

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I Got Linux to run OS X in emulation but its slower than cold tar.

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
Maybe you should get your Intel82566DC network card working first!
and your SLEEP and SHUTDOWN function on your current system. :( :( :hysterical: :hysterical:

SticMAN

I Got Linux to run OS X in emulation but its slower than cold tar.

aylamrin

aylamrin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Maybe you should get your Intel82566DC network card working first!
and your SLEEP and SHUTDOWN function on your current system. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
SticMAN

richtig :)

MacRetail

MacRetail

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
The PS3 uses a PowerPC-processor. I believe you might be able to install OS X using Mac-on-Linux (MoL) on Linux.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
The only thing that I would not like about it, is the PS3 only has a limited amount of memory. Fast as hell, but very limited.

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I can get it to boot off any of the os x disk retail or not.

The iMan

The iMan

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
u can? how?

Rob G

Rob G

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Sorry Typo. I cant* get it to boot off of any dvds.

kinkster

kinkster

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
How about an OSx86 version of Tiger?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy