XFX 8600GT and NVinject...

Webster

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I finally managed to install OSX on my desktop, but now I have a problem with my video graphics. I have a XFX nVidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB. I can't use my 1680 x 1050 resolution, only the 1024 x 768 one. I also tried the NVinject, but my system wouldn't boot anymore after that. Can somebody tell me what's going on :) .

Thanx.

Btw. I used the iAtkos v1.0i R2

I essentially have the same card. Mine's EVGA 512 mb 8600 GT (ddr2 vram). Here's where I asked for pointers on this forum:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95132

I don't know how to get you back to 1024 x 768, but to get the thing to boot after nvinject has hosed your system, press F8 at startup and then type this at the boot prompt:

boot: -v -x cpus=1

You'll boot into 800 x 600 resolution. After that, you'll need to remove the nvinject kexts, but I don't know which ones or what needs to be edited or adjusted. Wish there was some kind of guide on modifying kexts to get nvidia cards working.

emotional friend

Hi Webster,

My technical level is very low. So, take my comment as coming from somebody very green.

I have a GeForce 8600 GT Professional 256M in a Gigabyte P35 mother with two Samsung 22". I used NVinject installer v.41 and my OS is 10.5.1 (I tried 10.5.2 but each boot up demanded 2minutes more than 10.5.1, so ... I downgraded)

I had the same problem than you (couldn't select 1680 x 1050 resolution - it was not an option).

In my case, my problem was related with a cheap monitor extension cable.

As soon as I replace it with a good one I could choose that wanted 1680 x 1050 resolution.

Don't know if this is your case.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an XFX 8600GT 512Mb Dual DVI and all I get with the scott angel installer v.41, is a black screen. The HD's are working but the screen is black.

I don't know what to do on this. The ID of the card is 0x040110de.

I let it sit on the black screen for 20 minutes and nothing. Had to totally reinstall Kalway and do all the updates to get back to 10.5.2.