Acer Laptop's and Intel High Definition Audio Section

Espionage724

65 posts in this topic

Ok...i've been trying everything I could to get my internal laptop speaker working.

1. I tried a linux codec dump from a site listed on someone's AppleHDA Patcher post (Taurnga or something like that)

2. I tried making my own linux codec dump

Both methods failed. I only have a working microphone port, a non-tested digital output port, and a headphone port that work fine. I have internal speakers and a non-tested internal mic (which I could care less if it works or not lol) that do not work.

I have an Acer TravelMate 2480-2779 notebook computer

In windows my audio driver is a Realtek HDA

In Mac OS X and Linux my audio driver is a Intel HDA

I have Leopard 10.5.2

My internal speakers haven't worked since 10.4.9

I've used 10.4.9, 10.4.10, 10.5.1, and 10.5.2

I've also attached my ALC883 codec dump I made earlier today if anyone could take a quick look at it.

Results:

Azalia Driver: Internal Speakers are detected and working.

ALC883 Driver: Mic, Internal Mic, Digital Out, and Headphones are detected and working.

Still not good though. If there was a way to possibly combine the 2 packages that would be awesome because I want to use my real speakers at home and use the internal speakers on the road and don't wanna have to change between the 2.

iATKOS didn't give a different result as expected. But now I have a new idea.

Maybe ACPI has something to do with it. If ACPI controls what devices get powered maybe it isn't seeing the internal speakers and in which case, is the reason sound is not coming through them. Speakers cannot make sound without power.

So maybe the Azalia drivers have something to do with it also. On windows, when I install my Realtek HDA drivers, an Azalia modem was detected. Without the realtek driver, the modem is not detected. With Intel HDA, the modem is never detected (Mac os X, Linux, and the preinstalled Windows driver).

Still hoping that somebody else has anymore ideas.

After a trip back to the linux live cd i found out:

There was two output devices:

Intel HDA

Realtek ALC883

My internal speakers were also muted upon startup of the live cd.

I just pressed "Fn" + "F8" (Fn being my function key and F8 being the mute/unmute key) to unmute.

Then i redumped my codec and still no luck with it. Internal speakers are still muted.

EDIT: Not sure about 2 output devices but i think they were called mixers.

Hmm....I was thinking if there was a way to wire the internal speakers to a normal headphone jack and then have that wire sit outside my laptop and then whenever I wanted the internal speaker, just plug that into my headphone port. I wasn't going to attempt that though until somebody says it's impossible to get my speakers working lol.

Hmm...I wonder what the Azalia package controls exactly and how it does it. There has to be something telling it where my speakers are, and how to communicate with them. If there was some kind of way to combine this data with the actual ALC883 codec driver provided by the AppleHDA.kext file, maybe it will produce sound?

In linux I also noticed a switch for headphones. I wonder what this could mean.

If only there was a way to somehow emulate a linux or windows driver with Mac OS X...something simillar with Linux's ability to emulate a windows wireless driver with ndiswrapper.

Anyone have any kind of feedback? Surely I (and 1 other person) can't be the only one's experiencing this issue?

EDIT: Is there any Azalia people out there who know what the Azalia kext does exactly? Or any AppleHDA people out there? Is it even possible to combine the 2 together at all lol?

Lol I am thinking about just making some kind of rewiring modification to my laptop just to get these speakers to work.

Hi, yh same problem wiv me (as i think you know as you replied to my first topic on merging azilia and alc883 packages together) - if u do find a way to rewire, could you tell me how and if it worked cause at te moment it seems like the only way that this is gonna work! and would be really helpfull. (i do also have same laptop as you) Thanks in advnce- hope you get it working with the rewire!

Well it would require finding the wires that lead from ur motherboard to your speakers. I believe this wire could unplug from your motherboard. If this is so, then u would just need to take those wires and make them lead out of ur laptop and somehow, get a end off a another speaker/headphone plug (the jack that plugs into a cd player, etc) and modify that cable to go with the speaker wires.

So if the speaker jack has 2 wires (which it does), and if 1 wire contains 2 wires (wire 1 would have 2 wires red and black for speaker 1, wire 2 would have 2 wires for speaker 2) then it shouldn't be hard but i'm not sure. Worse that could happen is that you just have mono sound lol.

I also heard of a small speaker that is very small and plugs directly into your headphone port so you would have speakers but just outside your laptop. I'll try to find an image of what i mean later.

My insane drawings lol

i have sound through built-in speakers ,of course

just installed with the azalia audio kext, not modified anything

i remember in the past (with 10.4.8 and earlier releases) have also inputs

now there are not any inputs but i didn't really had the time to try

acer aspire 9410, i blv we have the same audio hardware

i think that the chipset is ALC880 ,i can't check it now

afternoon maybe i try taruga's patcher

If there was only some way to get the azalia audio kext to identify the headphones port...

It's weird how only the onboard speakers work with azlia and nothing else works...yet my onboard mic works with the ALC883 and AppleHDA patcher... I would figure they would both work with azalia because their both onboard and not attached by a port....

interesting... my extensions folder has AppleHDA.kext, as well as AppleAzalia, i havent taken a look at AppleAzalia yet, but i can confirm alot of info is missing from the Info.plist of AppleHDA.kext after i use the HDA Patcher. as compared to the stock AppleHDA.kext from 10.5.1. my internal audio works perfect on 10.5.1/10.5.2 without installing a driver, however, once i do install a driver, it stops working. there must be something in the Info.plist that gets changed and overwrites the configuration for IntSpeakers. i have the plist editor installed, so i'll go through and check out both patched and unpatched Info.plist's again and see what i can come up with. expect a reply sometime tomorrow.

well... i figured it was worth a shot, and it WORKED! i took a look at my stock 10.5.1 AppleHDA.kext's Info.plist. i noticed that there are 3 CodecInfo's in the stock one, while theres only ONE after i patched it. my CodecID for the only CodecInfo there was after patching: "283904131" so i figured, seeing only Headphones were working for "AnalogOut", 283904131 must = headphone port Codec. so i take a took at the #3 CodecID in the unpatched file, which was giving me sound from my speakers before i installed a driver, is it just a coincidence... or is it really that simple. the CodecID for the unpatched file: "283904133" so all i did was edit the modified (driver installed) Info.plist, added a new CodecInfo directory, added everything from the #3 CodecID directory, and linked it up to 283904133, leaving 283904131 as secondary. saved, chmodded, chowned, repaired permissions, rebooted, and sound now works from my speakers only after i go into System Prefs > Sound > Internal Speakers. and it works from the headphones if i change it to Internal Headphones.

Espionage and the rest of you that are having trouble with your internal speakers, post up your AppleHDA.kext's Info.plist files here, both vanilla, and patched and i'll hook you up. as long your internal speakers worked when you installed OS X, i can fix them so they'll work with the ports.

Do i need the unpatched one? Because i just patched my AppleHDA thing with that patcher a while back and then i went back to Azalia?

And i had no sound at all when i installed OS X. When i installed it i never chose a audio driver either. Later on I installed the Azalia driver first, then patched my audio with AppleHDA patcher, then went back to azalia.

now that i think of it, no you dont need to upload your vanilla AppleHDA.kext. i forgot that i ripped my AppleHDA kext straight from the iATKOS dvd. so just upload your patched Info.plist. as for the 5570z, did your internal audio work when you first installed OS X?