What is allowed?

8 posts in this topic

I apologize if this is the wrong forum - - please feel free to move it - -

In light of the recent DMCA problems, it would be nice to know what we can and can not discuss - - I'm sure this site will be watched - and I am sure the mods are quite busy checking every post - -

to make it easier for everyone, it would certainly be nice to outline particular areas that we can not / should not discuss.

1) Links to Maxxuss' page

2) torrent links

etc. etc.

what else?

We can discuss whatever we want! we just can't link to or post anything that is copyrighted by Apple. So no: posts of .kext files, links to or lists of sites with such files, etc. Discussing this stuff is perfectly fine, it's aiding in the distribution of Apple's copyrighted work which is the problem. ;)

edit: yeah, what advid said too :)

that preety much covers it, I did a little reading on the DMCA act and according to it, we cannot facilitate the cicumvention of software protections.

In other words, we can talk about the mechanisms and speculate, but we cannot post links to or host any files that circumvent these protections

We can't say things like this. . . http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=6382&st=0

That must have been fun?

:o

:) No, vandalising our own forum wasn't fun at all :) Particularly as most of the staff would rather have been in bed at the time we were working to find those DMCA violations. The trick was to remove the handful of links and suspect posts whilst still keeping the threads intact and making sure that as much of the information that everyone wanted was still there if possible. We knew the Apple lawyers wouldn't miss anything so we couldn't either. The lawyers hadn't found everything but we didn't want them spotting stuff a couple of days later and coming back with more papers.

And to everyone who had their posts cut, I'd like to apologise, but sometimes an amputation to save the patient is unavoidable.

Before someone says we (I) went too far and cut stuff which was innocent, please give us a break. We were trying to make sure nothing could delay the return of the forum. It was late, we were all working hard and I may have made mistakes along the way. We did our best.

Web forums implies citizenship behavior. Limit of freespeech and self-control regarding respect of other must be the rule everywhere. Further, we can't steal other people work, their effort to increase their enterprise welfare and the everyday courage to gain wages from it to feed their family. It's a matter of morality and civilization. But I think we can do experiment like with the DevKits. But now with commercial 10.4.4 we've pushed the limits. We've gone too far and Apple lawyers' reaction was sane.

My opinion.