Toshiba A210/A215 Success or Problem Thread

ADoNuT333

53 posts in this topic

I know that there is a rather small community of Toshiba Satellite A21x users that are struggling to install a working OSx86. So this thread is dedicated to those who have had success with any version of OSX on their laptop and those who need some help.

So if you have any tutorials or methods that worked for you please post them here. If you need support, post your problem here and I'm sure someone will have the knowledge to help you out.

In short.....The Toshiba A215 Community Page

• 3 weeks later...

Using iatkos 1.0i AMD patched, it won't boot (still waiting for root device) on my Satellite A215... I think the problem itself with mine is that the hard drive isn't detected inside Mac because even when trying to install it wouldn't detect it and I had to takr out the hard drive and install from another computer. ANy help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My A210 with AMD crashes before booting instalation enviroment and i tryed a solution that works for some ppl but not for me... i disabled Usb legacy suport in bios and after it crashes in windows i insert any kind of device and it starts doing some more stuff but then it crashes again... some ppl say that they managed to install leopard using this solution...

(Lucky for me my HP laptop is hackintoshed already lol)

I have a a215-s7413. I tried several different times to install the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and here is what worked for me:

pop in the dvd and boot from it

format your partition (im dual booting with vista) as journaled extended (not case sensitive)

continue on and click customize

leave everything as defualt (MAKE SURE not to check any graphics cards - i have x1200 and it craps out no matter what i pick)

go down to AMD PATCHES and check the second one along with the legacy one

check any "free apps" you like

cheers!

ok well i have a toshiba a215-s4757 laptop

AMD turion 64x2

250gig sata drive

I have hackintosh installed on my Desktop PC and i love it, i have been desperately trying to get it installed on my laptop because i use it more.

I have tried many things and i get this error on booting the kalyway 10.5.2 dvd and i have tried -x -s and -f

please any advise is appretiated

post-291529-1222477727_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an A205, and here is what worked for me:

Install using iDeneb Leopard 10.5.5

Select Customize during install, and select the following:

Add iCHx IDE/ATA driver

Add Yukon Ethernet Driver

Add Fix for Shutdown Fix

Add Fix for Sleep Fix

Add any other Applications you may desire

Finish install, and reboot. Everything should work except the Audio, Ethernet and the Wireless.

To get ethernet to work (Yukon), follow the guide here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34446&st=0&p=245032entry245032

To get Audio to work, google ALC261_Installer1.zip and go from there.

Haven't got wireless to work yet.

Go into the OSX86Tools application, and enable the Quartz stuff for video if desired.

Haven't found any problems yet, other than Wireless not working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Toshiba A210-04L

AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core cpu

1gig Ram

120 gig SATA hd

It took alot of reading, then ask ? but I got it on Leopard Zeph 10.5.1, it was working all right with a few bumps. I was tring to tweek it when I messed it up. so I reformatted when I tried to reinstall it woud not reconize my hd. So after playing around and doing alot more reading I got fedup with it and never bothered anymore. now I have some time on my hands I'm going to give it another try soon. :( I'm messing around with leopard on my G4 mac mini

NOTICE: Kalyway 10.5.2 and iDeneb 10.5.5 are workable, but severely limited and very slow. The most important thing to find, as far as my tests have shown, is the right controller for the motherboard chipset. However, I don't think there currently is one that's compatible with a 10.5.6 vanilla installation. So close, yet so far...

Toshiba Satellite A210-PSAFGC-MS908C

• AMD Turion TL-58 Dual Core 1.9GHz
  • 2GB DDR2 667Mhz RAM
  • ATI x1200 128MB
  • 160GB 5400rpm SATA HD
  • DVD-RW DL-R
  • AMD M690V Chipset

Gah! Talk about a :( nightmare! Countless reboots and modified installations, and I'm still no closer to where I started 4 days ago.

10.5.6 Vanilla Install

• "Still waiting for root device" - Solved with the right ATA controller, if it could just be isolated
  • Infinite restart loop during boot - Solved by patching or replacing the kernel. 9.5Voodoo and 9.4XNU are feasible.

Kalyway 10.5.2

• No video acceleration or graphic library support
  • Resolution will not change from 1024x768 despite editing of the com.apple.boot.plist
    • Methods included manual editing, UInstaller, OSx86Tools, Terminal

iDeneb 10.5.5

• DVD non-bootable despite latest PPF
  • Must boot from a utility drive and install using a mounted image
  • No video acceleration, graphic library support, or resolution change (see Kalyway notes)
  • Some kext combinations disable keyboard and trackpad (but not USB accessories)
  • 10.5.6 kext upgrades disable keyboard, trackpad, and optical drive

Work In Progress

• For graphic support and acceleration:
    • I can edit the device ID of ATIinject in order to enable to the ATIX1000 kexts and bundles. I already have the X1200's device ID on my laptop. I have yet to test whether it actually works, though. I didn't want to risk either partition - the Kalyway for utility purposes, and the main 10.5.5/6 vanilla. My focus is to get as close to a vanilla 10.5.6 installation as possible, as I have done with my tower.

[*]I need to find the right ATA controller, or a way to patch one that works with older versions of Leopard. I know there is one that will work with 10.5.6, because there's obviously one that works inside the iDeneb 10.5.5 build.

I will give no further details unless necessary to the progress of this specific topic. Most of you on this thread should already know the basics of OSx86 installations. ;)

Thanks to every contributor on every thread I've read that's gotten me this far! :) To everyone else working on Toshiba and other AMD-based laptops, good luck and thank you in advance for your notes!

I've found the Toshiba Satellite line (be they AMD or Intel builds) to be excellent for both performance and value. I hope there are more hackintosh users out there who are working, and would share their information, on getting Leopard up and running well on one of these laptops. :)

... Still tinkering here, and looking forward to have my vanilla-ish installation matching its previous Vista-native performance soon! :censored2:

I have an A215-7422 and i found that in order to get passed the "still waiting for root device" i had to disable the internal ethernet and shut off wireless before booting the install disc. I got through the install with Kalyway but ran into video issues on bootup afterward. After reading some of the info on this thread i'll tackle it again and see what I can do to get it up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

Trying iDeneb 10.5.5 install on a A215-S7425. Previously had no luck with Kalyway 10.5.2.

First time got into the installer and followed the guide here Thread 136141

Installed the driver for the ATI X1300 (closest driver model to the X1200 that I have)...would not boot upon finishing install. Trying again now without selecting a vid driver.

What did you do to get into installation?

Nothing special...I press f12 to select the boot device and choose the dvd. I've updated my BIOS a few times, which was not advised on some threads, but the installer seemed to work until it finished, then I get 'still waiting for root device'.

Part of the problem for me could be the triple boot setup w/ linux , vista, and hopefully OSX.

• 1 month later...

I have a slightly different model of Toshiba Laptop as I have an L100-200.

However, I have a successful install of Kalyway 10.5.2 onto the laptop by following this guide:

http://toshibatips.blogspot.com/2008/12/in...-satellite.html

The problem I have at the moment is that OSX runs VERY slow on the laptop and also that I have no sound and the onboard keyboard does not work. I can get around the keyboard problem by pluggin a USB keyboard in for the time being, but I obviously want to sort out these issues and get it working properly.

I'll be spending some time today trying to find out how to fix these problems, but the one perplexing me the most at the moment is why OSX is running so slow on the laptop.

Anyone know if there is a Kalyway update available for what I have installed (10.5.2) ? And if such an update actually addresses such an issue ?

Also, I am still struggling to work out what sound card in actually in my L100-200 !!

• 3 months later...

A215-S6816 - SUCCESS

After giving up a long time ago I heard about the new iatkos v7 and vista was running slow so figured I would give it one last shot and to my surprise it worked.

Here is what I did and found.

To start with I went into Vista and backed everything up then went into computer management and shrunk the HDD. I formatted the new partition to a FAT32. Rebooted and went into bios and disabled Legacy usb support and set cd\dvd as first boot device then restarted.

It started to load up and got to a AIOPIC part and it just hanged there. After doing some research it seems to get past that part you need to insert a usb device once the dvd stops spinning. So I tried that and it worked. Booted right into setup.

I then went into disk utility and formatted the partition to a Mac Journaled disk. Then selected it and I went with the recommendations iatkos gives you in the readme. I clicked on install and it started to verify the disk and after about 28% crashed. It did this several times then I just canceled the disk verification and it would install about 25% and crash. The crashes seemed to be caused by disk error. I remembered the disk was burned as a DVD-R so I burned a new disk with DVD+R and this time it worked perfectly. Installed amazingly fast without any errors.

I then had to use a Linux boot record repair utility to set the boot as vista then repaired the MBR with the vista disk. After rebooting I used the linux boot record repair utility to put MAc back as the default boot then resrtarted. Chameleon 2 came up perfectly and booted right into OS X and after going through all the setup it went right to the desktop. So far its pretty slick and freaking fast.

I loaded up a bunch of programs just to see and everyone worked awesome and fast.

So here is what is not working. Remember I didn't choose any drivers on the install just went with the basics and haven't tried to install any yet. I want to make sure I get these all right so I am going to do one at a time.

Wireless, Video, LAN, Audio is hit and miss, and webcam.

So there it is. I hope this helps any of you. I can't say enough how fast this is running. iatkos team rocks and my hats off to those guys.

My Specs:

Toshiba A215-S6816

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Gold Edition TL-64 2.2 GHz

4GB of Memory

ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400

Atheros AR5007EG 802.11 b/g wireless-LAN

Realtek RTL8101E LAN

Realtek HD Audio

Alps pointing device.

Hi.. I have a toshiba a215-5837.

Here's my progress. Only distro that will get anywhere is iatkos v7 intel/amd. Installs fine with the usb plugin trick. I have legacy usb disabled in bios.

However it won't boot... chameleon loads up and then darwin messages start, but fail at "Still waiting for root".

Both voodoo kernels do this :jerry:

Can you please post your exact customization of the drivers/etc on the osx install?

Thank you

Answered my own question..

Install the ati-sata driver. Also the realtek 8139 (something like that) driver for the ethernet to work. Again this is for toshiba a215-5837.

Not working - video.

Audio haven't tried yet.

Gonna try forcing 1280x800 resolution now..

I made the same mistake on the ati-sata driver. I selected both it and the via one I believe. I also used the same network driver for mine. Did you get the video forced to the 1280x800? I have tried just about every video driver out there and nothing seems to work for my video card. Same goes for the wireless. I can get it on first try then its every 10 or so boots after that to get it working. Is your's running pretty quick? Mine sure is. Just got to keep trying to get wireless and video to work.