Anyone left Windows behind for good with their hackintosh?

ecotopian

82 posts in this topic

I've been seriously considering ditching windows on my AMD box for good and just using Zephyroth 10.5.2 exclusively.

I have made a complete list of apps I could work with that would match what I currently work with on x64 XP Pro.

My idea being that I would work with my hackintosh, purchasing the apps I use to try and be as legit as I can given the circumstances.

Has anyone seen solid stability with their AMD box enough to make the jump and not look back? I'm specifically concerned about the nVidia eSata ports and whether they are stable enough to withstand data throughput required for editing HD video.

I'm at a crossroads here and wondering if I need to upgrade my Mobo and CPU or if I can get away with the AMD hardware.

See my sig for my specs.

I pretty much don't use Windows anymore, only for the occasional gaming, but all the applications I need I have on OSX, so I'm on Leopard all day, and some times I restart to XP when I want to play games. I've tried parallels/Vm Ware but those can barely play games of today well.. so I no longer use those unless I Want to transfer files.

I forgot that I have a windows installed on my pc and I'm using the hackintosh 24/7 and I dont think i will ever get back to windows because simply i got all the programs i need on my hackintosh from Firefox to Photoshop. But I know for sure that my next upgrade wont be for the hackintosh I will buy a real Mac thats for sure so Im starting to save money for that cause Mac is really convincing.

To be honest, Windows is still my main OS. Mac OS X is just a fun experimental OS for me. I would use OS X as a main OS, but the problem remains that if something goes wrong with your install (which happens quite often) and you can't get it working and you didn't backup, then that wouldn't be very good.

I use OSX alot more then my windows ive noticed lately, But I do still go into XP to do my Xvid - DVD, For some reason it takes our macs 3 times longer too encode then on a Windows machine. But thats pretty much it, I even play WoW on my mac, LOL it rocks !

I'm ONLY running my McDell Dimension 9200 with 10.5.2

My HP nx7010 was picked up this morning as I sold it on ebay and both my G4's are gone!(I'll update my sig now!)

NOW there is enough money for a 2007 Intel Macbook :D but damn its easter weekend and most of the shops in Switzerland is closed! :P

SticMAN

50-50

xp mostly for gaming

osx for final cut studio etc

i;m trying move to osx even for photoshop but i can't get used the shortcuts (alt is a problem)

i use windows since win95 so osx is really confused s0metimes and i'm used to work very fast

*something else:

i blv that osx mouse movement is somehow "laggy"

not laggy really...maybe like seen a movie not in full framerate

everytime i boot to XP the movement seams smoother

how about you?

a mighty mouse would change this?

(everything is ok with my video card)

From perusing the various sigs - it appears that Intel hardware is better supported - since that is the case - I'm looking for a fully supported Mobo that isn't going to cost me an arm and leg to get. Also, which processor is low cost yet offers decent speed for editing video??? I don't do any gaming so that is a non-issue for me.

The support issue isn't a big deal since I work with computers quite a bit - I have never owned a prebuilt computer - opting instead for building my own. All my hardware can be crossed over save the mobo and processor so any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't need the latest and greatest - unless it will make a difference in stability of running a hackintosh.

As much as I like Mac, I can't get all my games under Mac. Games that are under Mac, Doom 3, Quake 4, and emulators and roms. That's about it. Infernal, Zdaemon, Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, Phantasy Star Universe, Quake wars, War front, not sure about Stepmania though. If I didn't play games like that, I would keep on Osx86.

To me the mac is better for everyday use, and XP still rules when it comes to video rendering, etc., some oddball stuff that comes up. The decision next is whether or not a hack is worth the time and effort vs. shelling out more cash for a bulletproof/futureproof real mac, and that's a tough choice.

in an ideal world I'd be running xeon windows & osx - However in the real world I find osx full of annoyances (see that particular forum) so am happy to put up with a hackintosh and do the serious work on the windows box. Windows is more intuitive for me.

I've recently gone over to OSX from Vista x64. And am not looking back.

Don't get me wrong vista worked well and was fast and stable but after trying Leopard (kalyway)

I havn't looked back since.

And as Time Machine works beautifully I'm not constantly backing things up to disk incase my install goes bad.

With my Asus P5K Premium Wifi working with wifi and sound as well as having my 8800GT fully supported with dual monitors

Leopard so far is rock solid.

My next machine will definitly be a Mac :D

what about doing software updates??? I came across an issue where when I updated Zephyroth 10.5.2 ver2, it would reboot after doing a restart and couldn't get to my desktop. I thought EFI being added resolved issues with OS updates.

What did I miss? Should I go back to Tiger 10.4.10 for AMD - or is it wishful thinking to think this could be used full time??? :)

Nope,

For me, for some unexplainable reason, Windows (both Xp and Vista) "just works!" :D

I use to use OS X 10.4.8 Jas about 40% of the time, but it is just not practical. There are a lot of programs and networking things that I can only do in Windows (or at least is easier to do).

That is just me though.

Nope,

For me, for some unexplainable reason, Windows (both Xp and Vista) "just works!" :D

I use to use OS X 10.4.8 Jas about 40% of the time, but it is just not practical. There are a lot of programs and networking things that I can only do in Windows (or at least is easier to do).

That is just me though.

Ditto, same here.

what for? (the topic)

when it comes to do real time server administration tasks, i even prefer linux over windows (grin) but that's an even different story.

i think, that a wise combination of all different platforms around is actually the best compromise we're able to work with right now. as far as i'm concerned, there is just not one 'all over perfect platform'. big discussion thingy...

well, my mbp houses a windows-xp-partition and it's doing fine there - will keep it. just love to play supreme comander sitiin' on the couch. taking a backup of video-dvd is another often done task. but anyway, loads of the daily work that's to be done in my world just seems to be easier using osX(86), though. using a computer is supposed to make fun after all, don't you think?

my hackintosh (strangely) worked fine since it's birth. well, having read so many problem threads, i guess should be content. my desktop is a big playground for everything anyway, so why not do osX86 (bought a stock 10.5 copy for that rip, of course!). overall, it didn't cost me that much time.

edit: oh, and openvpn(-gui) is something i need windows for. all the tunnelblick-beta's around produce a bunch of trouble, no matter if osX86 or osXRetail. the guy seems to be busy with other things and i'm just too lazy to get myself on that...

Lately I have been sending pics and short vids from my Canon still cam to the relatives. I spent hours using windows experimenting with different vid formats, and attaching them to email, etc. Then I tried using iphoto, into quicktime pro, use the share command, automatically goes into Mac Mail, and hit send. It is so much easier and fun on the mac for that task! All I had to do is phone up the relatives and walk them thru installing quicktime/itunes on their windows machines.

Absolutely. I use my Leopard installation exclusively unless I need to use Photoshop or type documents, because I have licenses for Office 2007 and Photoshop in Vista. No point purchasing iWork for that reason.

I'd say I boot into Windows about once or twice a week-- the rest is all Mac, baby.

I left Vista for Leo and never looked back. It has grown on me. Since I have leo the only OSes that ran on my computer are a few Linux live CDs.

OS X runs even more stable than Vista, especially that the processor and the mobo was bought especially to run Leo. Only problem is the cursor artifact (GMA950 :whistle: ) and the audio input. I can live with that especially that I'm gonna buy a new video card soon.

10.5.2 really, really, really, really, really rocks.