Linksys wireless G (WMP54G V4.1) wont work?

jhnez

56 posts in this topic

Hi.. Im using a canyon with exact same hardware id.. 1814:0301.. on iAtkos 5i upgraded with 10.5.7 Combo update..

The driver did definitely do something no other driver has done.. that was to stall my system on boot.. I booted -v -x and rt61cardbusdriver showed multiple lines of errors.. I then repaired permissions and rebooted and the error no longer appears.. however osx still failed to fully boot in standard as well as safe mode.. I had to pull the pci card to regain boot..

If you want I can setup a test drive in the week to do further tests.. I'll post further info on the errors when I've set up the test drive should you be willing to help us further with fixing the driver.. this is the first time a driver has affected the system in this way so I think that shows some promise.. Please let me know if you're willing to help before I strip another pc for its drive.. thnx

Hi.. Im using a canyon with exact same hardware id.. 1814:0301.. on iAtkos 5i upgraded with 10.5.7 Combo update..

The driver did definitely do something no other driver has done.. that was to stall my system on boot.. I booted -v -x and rt61cardbusdriver showed multiple lines of errors.. I then repaired permissions and rebooted and the error no longer appears.. however osx still failed to fully boot in standard as well as safe mode.. I had to pull the pci card to regain boot..

If you want I can setup a test drive in the week to do further tests.. I'll post further info on the errors when I've set up the test drive should you be willing to help us further with fixing the driver.. this is the first time a driver has affected the system in this way so I think that shows some promise.. Please let me know if you're willing to help before I strip another pc for its drive.. thnx

i'm with you... but i have to re-install 10.5.7 because now it doesn't work (failed installation). i'll try to install today, and if i can, i will test this driver

{censored}, I typed out a long reply and Safari crashed with no way to get it back... grrrr

I'm not a programmer, I just know how to add a device to an info.plist file. If Ralink's kext really doesn't support the WMP54G 4.1 you'll just have to wait for an update or ditch your card and get a new one. There may be a chance (based on the fact that the kext already includes the device/vendor ID) that the author of the kext didn't enter it in right. What I did to the stock was add both 0x18140301 and 0x03011814 to the CardBusWireless.kext. The other kext, RT61CardBusDriver.kext, already had the entry 0x03011814 and I added 0x18140301 thinking that the author just had it backwards. The way I understand it, this addition caused this kext to finally load. The kext wasn't made for this adapter and thus many errors occurred when it was loaded. I'm thinking maybe the CardBusWireless.kext will work better with the stock RT61CardBusDriver.kext... For anyone who wants to test (be aware of the risk):WMP54G_v4.1_Apps_and_Kexts_TAKE2.zip

I tried using my card with the 2 kexts provided in the last post, and when my system "booted", it finished the boot process, with no mention of the card in the boot process to finally arrive to a blank screen, only removing the 2 kexts in single user mode would let my system boot normally.

I tried using my card with the 2 kexts provided in the last post, and when my system "booted", it finished the boot process, with no mention of the card in the boot process to finally arrive to a blank screen, only removing the 2 kexts in single user mode would let my system boot normally.

I guess that's all I can do then. Hopefully Ralink will come out with a fix soon for you guys. Sorry to all those that expected it to work and thanks to the testers.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your effort, ill keep on trying and keep you posted in case anything happens.

men i thinkfound an issue. a frech site, maconpc.niloo.fr, made a tutorial for activate pci and pcie card (system profiler can recognize them). i think that installing ralink's drivers and do the tuto will work. i can't test yet, but i will. if someone can do this faster than me, he will be our saint ^^

men i thinkfound an issue. a frech site, maconpc.niloo.fr, made a tutorial for activate pci and pcie card (system profiler can recognize them). i think that installing ralink's drivers and do the tuto will work. i can't test yet, but i will. if someone can do this faster than me, he will be our saint ^^

To make it easier for others to try, this is what playfullyrastadoul is talking about:

- Download THIS

- Then put the kext on your desktop and make a backup of the kexts IOPCCardFamily and IOPCIFamily and delete the originals. They're at System/Library/Extensions

- Open the terminal and enter the following commands:

sudo -s
cp -r -v ~/Desktop/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
rm -v /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
chmod -R root:wheel IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
chown -R 755 IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
diskutil repairpermissions /
reboot

To make it easier for others to try, this is what playfullyrastadoul is talking about:

- Download THIS

- Then put the kext on your desktop and make a backup of the kexts IOPCCardFamily and IOPCIFamily and delete the originals. They're at System/Library/Extensions

- Open the terminal and enter the following commands:

sudo -s
reboot

the trick works fine on ideneb 1.3 (10.5.5). but chmod -R root:wheel IOPCMCIAFamily.kext line does'nt work. i didn't test ralink driver but osx recognizes my cards (AGP card and another card with my wmp54g device id.)

the trick works fine on ideneb 1.3 (10.5.5). but chmod -R root:wheel IOPCMCIAFamily.kext line does'nt work. i didn't test ralink driver but osx recognizes my cards (AGP card and another card with my wmp54g device id.)

It looks like instead of

sudo -s
reboot

it should be

sudo -s
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCMCIAFamily.kext
reboot

I'm guessing every line there will work, but I'm not sure. That shouldn't matter if cards are recognized now, though.

It looks like instead of

sudo -s
reboot

it should be

sudo -s
reboot

I'm guessing every line there will work, but I'm not sure. That shouldn't matter if cards are recognized now, though.

so i tried to install ralink's driver and... no device... but system profiler recognize the card... not so fair ^^

so i tried to install ralink's driver and... no device... but system profiler recognize the card... not so fair ^^

Don't forget to try the other versions that were changed a little. I'm not sure which is more likely to work, but I'd try the first one first.

Warstrong.. I think we may be taking a step in the right direction (if osx cant see the card then it probably cant run it) but we're not there just yet..

I tried the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext and it did bring up my pci cards in the system profiler.. both my wifi and my firewire card.. in addition it took out my sleep capabilities and made the system highly unstable..

on physically removing my firewire card I was able to sleep once more.. I assume that it may now need a more specific driver as the generic driver may not run its power features correctly while the wifi card had no driver loaded at all

the wifi card showed in the system profiler that no driver was installed.. I managed to install both your drivers posted here although with great difficulty as the system was so unstable it kept freezing or kernel panicking.. unfortunately the 1st driver refused to fully boot up the system and the 2nd driver did not load as indicated by the system profiler.. I got frustrated with the instability and didnt do any further tests and removed the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext again

any suggestions?

did anyone else suffer such severe instability after installing IOPCMCIAFamily.kext?

Everything else on my system works perfectly though

Warstrong.. I think we may be taking a step in the right direction (if osx cant see the card then it probably cant run it) but we're not there just yet..

I tried the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext and it did bring up my pci cards in the system profiler.. both my wifi and my firewire card.. in addition it took out my sleep capabilities and made the system highly unstable..

on physically removing my firewire card I was able to sleep once more.. I assume that it may now need a more specific driver as the generic driver may not run its power features correctly while the wifi card had no driver loaded at all

the wifi card showed in the system profiler that no driver was installed.. I managed to install both your drivers posted here although with great difficulty as the system was so unstable it kept freezing or kernel panicking.. unfortunately the 1st driver refused to fully boot up the system and the 2nd driver did not load as indicated by the system profiler.. I got frustrated with the instability and didnt do any further tests and removed the IOPCMCIAFamily.kext again

any suggestions?

did anyone else suffer such severe instability after installing IOPCMCIAFamily.kext?

Everything else on my system works perfectly though

Yeah, that confirms that it's not going to work until Ralink releases an updated driver (could be a few months, a year, or never). Sorry guys.

yes no problem warstrong. but my system is better with the IOPCMCIA trick

Whats your specs like? Your OS version? Kernel? Architecture?

Just curious because im running vanilla kernel 10.5.8 on core2duo and my system runs perfectly except when this kext is loaded.. even tried removing all pci cards and still unstable

• 4 weeks later...