Linksys wireless G (WMP54G V4.1) wont work?

jhnez

56 posts in this topic

Hi all, i have installed Sephiroth osx 10.5.1 on my amd rig, all hardware works exept my wifi card, wich is a WMP54G,

Now i tried installing drivers from the ralink website: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

But no luck, it shows no airport cards after installing, am i doing something wrong?

My rig's specs:

Amd athlon x2 4200+ am2

2GB DDR2 pc 5300

MSI K9N-SLI

2x 250gb pata hd

Nvidia geforce 8800GTS

Are you using WPA to access your router? If so, that card isn't compatible with WPA according to manufactuer specs. I found this problem when trying to help a friend setup his wireless. Pretty stupid in my opinion since v1-3 of the same card are WPA compliant.

Are you using WPA to access your router? If so, that card isn't compatible with WPA according to manufactuer specs. I found this problem when trying to help a friend setup his wireless. Pretty stupid in my opinion since v1-3 of the same card are WPA compliant.

In windows it works perfectly with my network security (macfilter and wpa pharspase) but its not that it cant connect, the problem is that it doesn't vind te card :blink:

i drawn a cable to my pc now, exept my wifi card, the rest of my system works like a charm, i use osx as my native os now, and i found alot of help on this forum to get this far, so thanks's ya'll, still, if there ever are going to come drivers for my wifi card, pls pm me xD,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest BuildSmart

I just for the life of cannot understand why people are having such a problem with these cards.

It's very simple, you need the software that supports your chipset and you need to know the ID's for your device.

Install the software, if it doesn't work, using a proper text editor, edit the Info.plist in the driver and add your ID's, that is all that is required, if it still doesn't work then you either have a different chipset or entered your ID's incorrectly, there is no other reason these cards wont work.

If you have to ask how to do any of this then you should not be doing it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just for the life of cannot understand why people are having such a problem with these cards.

It's very simple, you need the software that supports your chipset and you need to know the ID's for your device.

Install the software, if it doesn't work, using a proper text editor, edit the Info.plist in the driver and add your ID's, that is all that is required, if it still doesn't work then you either have a different chipset or entered your ID's incorrectly, there is no other reason these cards wont work.

If you have to ask how to do any of this then you should not be doing it.

You must know nothing about these cards and the chipset they use... they don't make a driver for this chipset that works with Leo and there is no "editing of a .plist" that will allow you to use this card with Leo. So, please, don't offer your advise if its not constructive. I apologize to you on behalf of everyone here and I hope that one day we will all just KNOW EVERYTHING without ASKING QUESTIONS, which you obviously don't have to do.

To those trying to get this card to work: you can either go buy the speedbooster version (wmp54gs v1.1) or just stick with tiger. :)

good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

i went to their site and tried both pci drivers and none of them work. whats the deal with this card? im so annoyed! anyone successful with the installation of this card on 10.5.1? please help us get this fixed.

mobo: p4p800 deluxe

intel p4

• 1 month later...

if the original version of this card worked with the ralink 10.4 drivers, then the new ones should work after adding your Dev ID and Vendor ID to the info.plist of whatever driver corresponds to the chipset of this card. I have some version of this card, and when I install it in my hackintosh I'll try to post a working driver. I'll PM everyone that posted previously in this thread. wish me luck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I was installing and uninstalling and installing both the drivers below from ralinktech and I got it partially working on my iPC 10.5.6

Ralink_CardBusPCI_D61-1.0.4.0_D2560-1.0.9.0 UI-1.6.8.0_2008_12_04.dmg

and

RTCardBus D60-1.0.9.0 D61-1.0.2.0 UI-1.2.8.0_2006_08_31.dmg

the Network recognize the card as Ethernet (EN1) on my machine my other (EN0) is the Intel PRO/100 wired which is not connected

anyways, I did not do anything but the wireless AUTOMATICALLY picked up an open network of my neighbor's internet and I'm connected!!! I'm typing this on their open wireless network.

The thing is that I cannot get the Ralink wireless utility to ADD a profile to connect to, gave me that Device not exist error message.

Now, if someone can make a script or something so that the wireless can pick up MY OWN secured SSID network, that would be golden... let me know

post-404109-1238613649_thumb.png

post-404109-1238613667_thumb.png

thanks!

and good luck!

OK, just after I hit the submit button...

this is what I did, and the wireless utility WORKS!!!

I opened Disk Utility and Repair Permissions (dont know if it has anything to do with it)

REBOOT the computer!

on startup, the utility just works!!!

Selected my secured wireless network (WPA2 Personal TKIP+AES)

entered my WPA shared key

and I'M CONNECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-404109-1238615645_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615654_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615659_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615667_thumb.png

RTCardBus_D60_1.0.9.0_D61_1.0.2.0_UI_1.2.8.0_2006_08_31.dmg

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html to download the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) driver

GOOD LUCK!

B)

Ok, I was installing and uninstalling and installing both the drivers below from ralinktech and I got it partially working on my iPC 10.5.6

Ralink_CardBusPCI_D61-1.0.4.0_D2560-1.0.9.0 UI-1.6.8.0_2008_12_04.dmg

and

RTCardBus D60-1.0.9.0 D61-1.0.2.0 UI-1.2.8.0_2006_08_31.dmg

the Network recognize the card as Ethernet (EN1) on my machine my other (EN0) is the Intel PRO/100 wired which is not connected

anyways, I did not do anything but the wireless AUTOMATICALLY picked up an open network of my neighbor's internet and I'm connected!!! I'm typing this on their open wireless network.

The thing is that I cannot get the Ralink wireless utility to ADD a profile to connect to, gave me that Device not exist error message.

Now, if someone can make a script or something so that the wireless can pick up MY OWN secured SSID network, that would be golden... let me know

post-404109-1238613649_thumb.png

post-404109-1238613667_thumb.png

thanks!

and good luck!

OK, just after I hit the submit button...

this is what I did, and the wireless utility WORKS!!!

I opened Disk Utility and Repair Permissions (dont know if it has anything to do with it)

REBOOT the computer!

on startup, the utility just works!!!

Selected my secured wireless network (WPA2 Personal TKIP+AES)

entered my WPA shared key

and I'M CONNECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-404109-1238615645_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615654_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615659_thumb.png

post-404109-1238615667_thumb.png

RTCardBus_D60_1.0.9.0_D61_1.0.2.0_UI_1.2.8.0_2006_08_31.dmg

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html to download the PCI/mPCI/CB (RT256x/RT266x) driver

GOOD LUCK!

:thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the post, that's great news!

I've been wrestling with this card for the better part of a day now to no avail. I'll try using the link that you posted to get this thing going...I keep reading posts suggesting that an answer is available in the forums if "you're not lazy", but if it's here I haven't found it yet.

Do you remember how many install/uninstall cycles you made it through before you got it working?

So far I've gotten my ethernet card going but not my wireless...at first I was worried that I just hadn't installed the card right (my lack of success with this whole install process has me second guessing my ability to install plug & play hardware), but linux picked it up OOB.

Is http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html where you got your driver from?...I've installed both pci packages & haven't had any success, but I haven't tried install/uninstall/re-install yet...

I'll post back with an update tonight...

• 3 months later...
same... a friend tols me that the card is recognized nativelly without drivers... should re-install osx...

With your card inserted in a PCI slot, does it show up in System Profiler? If so, please tell me what it says the Device ID and Vendor ID are. The sooner I know this, the sooner it'll work (potentially).

With your card inserted in a PCI slot, does it show up in System Profiler? If so, please tell me what it says the Device ID and Vendor ID are. The sooner I know this, the sooner it'll work (potentially).

System profiler doesn't show it, but osx86 tools found it. i'll tomorow find you the device id if osx86 shows it.

hardware info (from iAtkos V7 dvd) shows me the PCI wifi card. i have :

1814:0301 RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

and that's it.

Okay, I found the info elsewhere (here) and I believe I've corrected the issue. Here is the zip:

WMP54G_v4.1_Leo_Fix.zip

It seems this can make an install unbootable. Please only try this if you have a good backup and understand the risk. It's not working yet.

I believe this will work with Leopard (10.5) and probably Tiger as well, but if it doesn't work with Tiger I can probably make it work upon request. Please post results!

Okay, I found the info elsewhere (here) and I believe I've corrected the issue. Here is the zip:

WMP54G_v4.1_Leo_Fix.zip

I believe this will work with Leopard (10.5) and probably Tiger as well, but if it doesn't work with Tiger I can probably make it work upon request. Please post results!

ok dude i'll test it tomorow. the problem is that the drivers are for PPC... if you have translate it it's ok but... otherwise i'm sure we could launch the drivers with rosetta... i'll try and report.