New Time Machine and Airport updates not safe for most hack users.

apowerr

130 posts in this topic

Today Apple released a new Time Machine and Airport update:

What's New in this Version

- This update is recommended for all users and includes compatibility improvements for using Time Machine with Time Capsule, as well as AirPort driver fixes.

A quick look at the update through pacifist reveals that it installs a new mach_kernel and system.kext, which will break most OSx86 installs. This update of course works fine on legit Macs and should be alright for people with near vanilla installs.

If you wish to install this update, be sure to back up mach_kernel and system.kext. It's best to replace the kernel and system.kext prior to rebooting, but if you forget you can always do it after through -s or another OS. AMD users should patch cpuid's with marvin's utility post-installation.

Edit: Actually it looks like even that may not fix things. If you're using a hacked kernel take caution and be sure to read other people's experiences.

In other OSX86 news, Netkas.org has released a new AppleSMBIOS.kext.

Some users reported me coreplayer doesn't work on hacks

after investigating it a bit, I found it comes from smbios

exactly - the way how IOPlatformSerialNumber is set.

now it's fixed, u can grab kext here - http://tinyurl.com/264tgm

this also makes second life to work on hacks.

ahh…. u all will have same serial number with this kext (as with old one tho)

funny thing - some apps uses this values as user number.

This new kext fixes a bug that some applications including the game 'Second Life' would encounter.

AFAIK the news is wrong on one point : even putting old kernel won't bring back your hack to life. It replaces other files that are kernel dependent.

Indeed, you're right. I posted that before replacing those two files and my hack. After replacing them, It's still not working however :(

I just upgraded from my Vanilla install (Using Vanilla Kernel) and everything seemed fine. Its working now.

A Simple uname -a in Terminal Reveals: Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.2: Tue Mar 4 21:17:34 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.4.31~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Although thanks for the Warning, And excellent news post :(

Working fine and dandy over here:

picture1pz5.jpg

:)

Now to try Netkas' new AppleSMBIOS...

is that a hack? O_O

how'd u get it like that?

oya, I'm using kalyway 10.5.2+vanilla kernel+EFI...is it safe to upgrade?

is that a hack? O_O

how'd u get it like that?

oya, I'm using kalyway 10.5.2+vanilla kernel+EFI...is it safe to upgrade?

Yes, it's a hack. I used mac.nub's modified iMac AppleSMBIOS. :)

And yes, I had 10.5.2 + EFI, and it worked fine for me.

@AMD users: Have you run Marvin's utility after the update? There seem to be some reports of success after patching over in Zeph's forums: http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=799

Haven't tried the update myself just yet, as I am dealing with some other problems right now.

EDIT: Damn, erei33 I just saw your post over in Zeph's forums. I wonder why you can't get it to work but others are fine?

EDIT: Damn, erei33 I just saw your post over in Zeph's forums. I wonder why you can't get it to work but others are fine?

I haven't run marvin's yet, I'm about to do that now. It looks like things should work after doing that.

worked fine for me...:P (sorry my bad english)

my hack

Asus P5LD2-VM-SE

Intel Core2Duo 1.86

2 GB RAM Kingston 667

Maxtor 250GB

Asus GF7300GT 256 VRAM (natit dual)

Encore Fire Wire (work OOB)

ALC882 with taruga's patch (Taruga, your rocks!!)

LAN onboard (works OOB)

WMP54G -Linksys (does'nt work, hope this works someday)

Mac OS X 10.5.2 (netka's method -you're the best netkas-) Vanilla Kernel (9.2.2), GUID+EFIv8, Vanilla kexts (except appleSMBIOS from mac.nub, and appleHDA from taruga)

Whoo, OSx86 news!

Gonna try this on my new C2D rig. I'm really not gonna miss struggling to do anything with my AMD. I'm pretty sure i can use a vanilla kernel, so let the updating begin.

Great news post... keep it up so I (and hopefully more) will read the front page more often.

Nervous about doing this update with it breaking some peoples machines. I am using Vanilla kernel and EFI v5.2 (I believe, an older one) and I have updated to 10.5.2 with Kalaway's update. Any insight from anyone whether or not I should do it. This is my only machine besides an old iBook 900mhz, don't want to have to fix it.Took the plunge, did the update, working fine. Installing Netkas new SMBIOS now.