New 'hidden' 9.2.2 kernel within TimeMachine Update 1.0

BlackCH

27 posts in this topic

Well, I runned the software update today. The listed items were:

AirPort Utility

Security Update 2008-002

Time Machine and Airport Updates

Safari 3.1

After restart I tryed to load the CPU throttler; system froze.

uname -a revealed a 9.2.2 kernel that came through....

The new system files are includded in the Time Machine update. Backup your kernel, System.kext, IO80211Family.kext....

post-51637-1206092281_thumb.png

Lol Apple is secretly trying to poison the system. Its not the Safari update, cause its known good, I think its probably the Security Update, but it could the the Time Machine one too. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to restore my kernel after doing those updates :smoke:

Damn, I was sure something would be in the Security update, so I updated the Time Machine :P I haven't rebooted yet when he asked me to, as I was suspecting something... Is my kernel already overwritten or will OS X do it after changing user mode when rebooting ? If so, I can probably still make a backup of my kernel (updated to 10.5.2), can't I ? Hehe the reason I ask is I have no idea how to, anybody could give me a hint ?I'm running a Kalyway 10.5.1 with an updated kernel (vanilla I think), and have already copied any file ressembling a kernel from /. (files called : vanilla, mach_kernel.*, tohkernel). Will copy them back after rebooting (and failing)... Hope this will do the trick ?Or do you guyz know if the install program does it at shutting down so I could probably just reboot on the Kalyway DVD in -s mode directly after the first reboot ?

My system seems like its running fine. What would be the effects of the updated kernel. Does the kernel have anything to do with like the sata drivers? Because right now my only problem is my sata odd wont burn disk, saying that it couldnt connect.

Replacing the kernel alone apparently doesn't fix the problem. The update replaces the kernel, system.kext, and a few other files, apparently with versions that *require* the 9.2.2 in order to function. Rolling back from this sounds a little tricky.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...4588&st=25#

new Darwin kernel

backupd

loginwindow

Atheros chipset wireless drivers

Broadcom chipset wireless drivers

IPFirewall.kext

System.kext

AppleShare afpfs.kext

DiskImage.framework

Metadata.framework (mds/aka Spotlight)

Don't blindly dive into patches. Check the forums first.

On my Pentium 4 (Prescott) EFI system, I only had to replace it with the speedstep 9.2.0 kernel from IRC. Not the system.kext though : strange!!! It works with the new one. For those who didn't back them up, just go to the IRC and fetch your kernel and replace the newer with it by any means : from another partition ( Windows with Macdrive or another osx build ). Never tried with the installation DVD and a usbkey : any feedback on that?

10.5.2, now with 9.2.2, efi/guid, efi-gfx

asus p5w-dh deluxe (audio, 2 x lan, wlan, firewire, serial, 8 x usb2, ps/2, definately no s3 with osX86 10.4.x so far!, with 10.5.x it everything works)

intel q6600 "g0stepping(slacr)" @ 350mhz = 3150mhz per core (4x) on air

4gb ddr2 corsair @ round-about-800mhz

sapphire x1950xt pcie16x - 256mb (qe/ci capable)

3 x wd-raptor 74GB @ ich7/ahci

linksys WMP54g wiFi

16 x lg-dvd+rw-ram

16 x nec-dvd-+rw-rom

oh, and i've got an iPodVideo,5g, hfs+-formatted ;)

*purrs like a kitten*-concept

kalyway 10.5.1 upgrades just fine since first install weeks ago.

if you have vanilla kernel and EFI you should be fine as I just selected everything including time machine update restarted and everything was fine. :(

When I rebooted my PC after the update and it began to reboot again and again I told "All right, I broke it" :P

Then I restored the 9.2.0 kernel and it worked. I had also to repair permissions on the Extensions folder and remove Extensions.mkext in order to make my D-Link USB Wireless adapter to work again.

On a hack machine it works. Using a pentium 4. After the update you have to boot into another os and copy the 9.2 kernel over. It replaces the kernel at shutdown, that's why it's overwriting it if you copy it before restarting.