Why Do Mac Users Feel Piracy is Evil ? lol

yamcha

44 posts in this topic

To all those people that keep stating it's stealing.... From what i am aware of it is not stealing.... Going into a store and taking a product without paying is stealing... but the software is still valid, making your software stolen stealing but its not going against copyright for the software B)

now downloading software on the other hand is not stealing, your product just isn't original, I'm sure it's something like copyright infringement?? meaning that you are going against copyright. Your software isn't stolen though. (not unless the person you downloaded/copied it from stole it, but that doesn't mean you stole it)

To those people that state it's bad:

Say a student needed to learn a 3d base product, but in most Universities today they are using 3d studio max. Does he/her buy that product and use up there student loan? or download it online and save all that money? In the end, when they have left University they most likely will buy that product.

People who pirate Photoshop, why? Gimp does what you are doing. Now I could understand if you wanted to learn that application for your career, but not for just editing photo's and such.

well... prolly 70% of the stuff i've downloaded has been for school... cs3... bbedit (other image/web design stuff)

I've only downloaded one movie... a few cds (didn't have the money to buy them, otherwise i would of) and 3 games...

Also i've downloaded some topgear and old hitchhickers guide to the galaxy stuff... because i couldn't find it in America... the UK stuff doesn't make it to America.

Pretty much i only see it as wrong if your making money off your copyright infringement (because technically it isn't stealing, cause someone still has the original copy)

I don't feel piracy is awful. If for educational purposes and for students I believe it is fine(that is if one does not have the money) but if your going to pirate assassins creed or no country for old men or Don Giovanni it is totally unnessecary. Then again I hold nothing against pirates. Some of my best friends pirate stuff. It's just a judgement thing for me doesn't matter everyone should do want they feel is right.

P.s. Cd's are way overpriced!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
if you pirate anything your a theif you can try and justify it all you want

It's not theft it's copyright infringement.

Theft - "A person is guilty of theft, if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it". (Section 1)

Note - "Depriving the other of it"

Those were fun times :censored2:
Replying to your comment saying the Apple II was a fun time... Strange.You weren't even born then...Think MarkMac users put out an image of purity among the elite. We shouldn't even give Broken Stones our hits...But, Alas, we do... We should;t do it as much though. Its damn hard to go cold turkey straight from windows!I resisted LimeWire for 2 weeks!Think Mark

i can understand buying software BUT only for a reasonable price. I would NEVER spend over 25 dollars on a piece of software. If the companies want us to buy it then they should decrease the price and make it hack proof. the price for the operating system however i can totally understand, windows vista and mac osx leopard are totally worth it. I saw that Adobe (formally macromedia) Fireworks or the whole Suite was like 500 dollars, i was like hahahaha 500 dollars my ass, u can just download the trial and hack that, i have the entire suite. its f**kin ridiculous. and games, i think games should be priced around 30 dollars. i remember seeing an xbox game for 60 dollars and i was like wtf. toooooooo much. decreasing the price of things would actually help software companies (os, games, software, etc..) earn more money. i love piracy. if everything was the way i said it then i wouldnt care for it but piracy is the way to go right now. although, that thing about "it isnt gonna happen" about gettin caught, i got a letter in the mail saying i got caught downloading some xbox game. i havent downloaded anything illegal since (trials and hacks has been working :thumbsup_anim: crackspider.com = best friend) but they are watching. it was from a .torrent too.

i can understand buying software BUT only for a reasonable price. I would NEVER spend over 25 dollars on a piece of software. If the companies want us to buy it then they should decrease the price and make it hack proof. the price for the operating system however i can totally understand, windows vista and mac osx leopard are totally worth it. I saw that Adobe (formally macromedia) Fireworks or the whole Suite was like 500 dollars, i was like hahahaha 500 dollars my ass, u can just download the trial and hack that, i have the entire suite. its f**kin ridiculous. and games, i think games should be priced around 30 dollars. i remember seeing an xbox game for 60 dollars and i was like wtf. toooooooo much. decreasing the price of things would actually help software companies (os, games, software, etc..) earn more money. i love piracy. if everything was the way i said it then i wouldnt care for it but piracy is the way to go right now. although, that thing about "it isnt gonna happen" about gettin caught, i got a letter in the mail saying i got caught downloading some xbox game. i havent downloaded anything illegal since (trials and hacks has been working :( crackspider.com = best friend) but they are watching. it was from a .torrent too.

A second grader has a better understanding of economics than you do. You can't just drop the price and expect profit to increase. $25 for boxed software would barely cover the cost of the box, manual, etc for some software, and leave nothing for actual development costs. Programmers aren't free. Adobe and other companies would either have to tell all their employees they're now working for minimum wage (in which they'd all quit), or they'd have to let most of them go, leaving just a few developers to write everything. That would make production times go way up, and put extra stress on the few remaining developers, possibly causing them to quit. No developers = no software for you to buy OR pirate.

• 2 weeks later...
I buy things that are worth the price. What do I really think? Information and knowledge should be FREE! Down with all those money grubbing mongrels. The day will most likely never come, but maybe... just maybe... we'll one day be able to expand our human evolution/society beyond these archaic forms of transaction, and treat each other as more than equals... instead of someone to make money off of for personal profit.

I completely agree. you shouldn't have to pay for a program that, eventually, is only going to increase your knowledge.

• 1 month later...

iam a pc/mac service person i come across variety of software's and i must know solution;s for problems.

without piracy it is impossible for me to be a successful technician.

but i insist my customers buy original software's.

• 2 weeks later...

its because the mac market, especially game market is tiny and if people dont end up buying what they play the companies won't port their games over to OSX. it's pretty simple.

Your software isn't stolen though. (not unless the person you downloaded/copied it from stole it, but that doesn't mean you stole it)

The reception of stolen goods is still considered, by law, as an offense.

Thus, no one can justify the actions in which they do, nor can they use the statement above as a method of defense, either in a lawful or moral situation/discussion.

It's a market share thing, honestly *hides stolen Quicktime serial*

We Mac users have always (even now!!!) faced a smaller market share when it comes to platforms. It gets worse when it comes to application choice, because application designers tend to not go for the smaller dogs. This makes either a gaggle of freeware (which we thankfully have) or a smaller gaggle of items from big corporations (which we also have). Let's take a look at this and assume there are 1000 computer users: 940 use Windows, 60 use the Mac.

For every one legit copy of Halo purchased, there are at least 10 that are pirated (this came directly from the makers of Halo in a Macworld interview--FOR THE WANT OF A LINK). So what does this mean? This means that removing the people who pirated this item makes 94 Windows copies sold and 6 for the Mac (we'll just assume everyone loves Halo also, just for the sake of argument). So, given the price of $30 for this item, let's see how much profit we've made.

Windows sales = $2820.

Mac sales = $180

The software developer suddenly says "Holy {censored}, more Windows sales!!!!" Then one more retailer abandons the Mac because people have pirated/stolen/buzzworded this game into oblivion.

That's why Mac users get upset--the want to see their software continuing.

HI,

It's a nice topic started, though I think most of mac users who are worried about piracy are those who can afford to buy legate, not like most of us. I admit that am using %50 pirated software, but only those which I feel so expensive to buy, not to mention the high prices where I live.

BELIEVE ME, and this is my opinion, and I don't know what do you think about that, IF no one uses pirated software whether it's application or OS, those software will not be so popular, no one will ever use it or buy it, and we will not got great products that we have right now ( Pirated or Legate ), although somehow the prices of MAC applications is slightly cheaper then Windows.

I ONLY USE PIRATED SOFTWARE FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE NOT TO RUN BUSINESS :-)

CHEERS

A second grader has a better understanding of economics than you do. You can't just drop the price and expect profit to increase. $25 for boxed software would barely cover the cost of the box, manual, etc for some software, and leave nothing for actual development costs. Programmers aren't free. Adobe and other companies would either have to tell all their employees they're now working for minimum wage (in which they'd all quit), or they'd have to let most of them go, leaving just a few developers to write everything. That would make production times go way up, and put extra stress on the few remaining developers, possibly causing them to quit. No developers = no software for you to buy OR pirate.

25$ to print a box+CD+Manual. Are you nuts. I printed my whole college magazine, on Glossy Paper of 170GSM for 2$ a peice (only 1000 copies). The whole magazine is color, and has 60 Pages.

I recently purchased Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. The cheap {censored} came with 1 Box, 1 Half assed DVD in a plain paper cover, and cardboard. I paid 50$ for that peice of {censored}. I could get the whole packaging done for 5$. Thats me using standard retail prices, not a corp with huge contracts and numbers.

Glossy Cover - $1

CD Cost - 2$.

Brown cardboard - $1

Labor + Misc - $1