Logitech Bluetooth Dongle

SaYnT

11 posts in this topic

Hey there,

Has anyone had any luck with the logitech bluetooth dongle?. Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I have a dinovo laser keyboard and mouse currently and I had an idea to pick up the little apple wireless keyboard. I figured it'd be an easy swap and i could still keep my mouse and media pad/number pad from the dinovo.

After fiddling however i couldn't get the apple wireless keyboard to connect to the logitech dongle using the connect buttons off the dongle and the keyboard to auto pair like what the logitech hardware can do. leopard doesn't see the logitech dongle as a bluetooth device either. Not really sure about that one either, I know there's some settings on the windows driver to lock the receiver down to only the logitech periferals or can connect other devices... but anyways, osx doesn't see it...

So I went and grabbed a dlink dbt-122. osx finds it great, i can connect the apple keyboard, the media pad, my phone .. all no problem. it however has a serious problem trying to connect the mouse. It sees it, it just fails when it's trying to pair with it. I got it paired once after i brought the machine out of a sleep state, it for some reason was able to connect. although after shutting down disconnected the mouse and it's the same struggle to get it connected again.

The other bad thing about the Dlink is that my asus maximus formula doesn't detect any keyboard and mouse connected to it. I don't think it actually connects devices until leopard loads by the look of it, so getting into the bios then is a task requiring plugging back in the old keyboard.

So this is really some documentation to add to the forum as well as if anyone has had any luck pairing an apple keyobard with a logitech dongle discussion ...

Has anyone got the logitech dongle to show up in osx?... has anyone out there able to pair the apple keyboard with the dongle?...

• 3 weeks later...
Hey there,

Has anyone had any luck with the logitech bluetooth dongle?. Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I have a dinovo laser keyboard and mouse currently and I had an idea to pick up the little apple wireless keyboard. I figured it'd be an easy swap and i could still keep my mouse and media pad/number pad from the dinovo.

After fiddling however i couldn't get the apple wireless keyboard to connect to the logitech dongle using the connect buttons off the dongle and the keyboard to auto pair like what the logitech hardware can do. leopard doesn't see the logitech dongle as a bluetooth device either. Not really sure about that one either, I know there's some settings on the windows driver to lock the receiver down to only the logitech periferals or can connect other devices... but anyways, osx doesn't see it...

So I went and grabbed a dlink dbt-122. osx finds it great, i can connect the apple keyboard, the media pad, my phone .. all no problem. it however has a serious problem trying to connect the mouse. It sees it, it just fails when it's trying to pair with it. I got it paired once after i brought the machine out of a sleep state, it for some reason was able to connect. although after shutting down disconnected the mouse and it's the same struggle to get it connected again.

The other bad thing about the Dlink is that my asus maximus formula doesn't detect any keyboard and mouse connected to it. I don't think it actually connects devices until leopard loads by the look of it, so getting into the bios then is a task requiring plugging back in the old keyboard.

So this is really some documentation to add to the forum as well as if anyone has had any luck pairing an apple keyobard with a logitech dongle discussion ...

Has anyone got the logitech dongle to show up in osx?... has anyone out there able to pair the apple keyboard with the dongle?...

I had the same problem (logitech mx5000 combo) and I managed to get it working using the kext from this thread (post #4):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77179

(I also did the suggested trick in order to get it recognized

"restart with the dongle unplugged, but plug it in directly when booting with the connectbutton hold down for 5-10 sec. That will set the dongle in BlueTooth mode and not the RF mode that is standard.")

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Anyone know the name of the kext that's supposed to be at:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77179

as that link doesn't appear to work... I'd love to get my Logitech USB Bluetooth dongle working....

Thanks

I have uploaded it here ...

Don't forget to "restart with the dongle unplugged, but plug it in directly when booting with the connectbutton hold down for 5-10 sec. That will set the dongle in BlueTooth mode and not the RF mode that is standard."

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.rar

• 4 weeks later...

ok i tried it and didnt work what kext did you modify to get it working i have the Dinovo keyboard and help appeciated thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've DL the kext and the installer helper and will try it out over the weekend and get back to you. I am running retail 10.5.6 with the logitech dongle with the default apple drivers and the Logitech dongle is not seen my OSX. but the keyboard and mouse work - I just got a apple wireless keyboard, and like you, want to get it to work with the dongle.

It's not a connectivity issue as I've been able to pair up the apple keyboard with the LT dongle under Vista. What IS weird is that I have had it working once, and only once last night, where I got the Apple Bluetooth ICON appearing in the top bar and I was able to use both keyboards [Dinovo & Apple Wireless] plus the mouse but sadly when I tested it post reboot it just disappeared and I've been unable to get it back since.

I've also downloaded a utility that allows you to attach commands to mouse buttons ETC [Can;t rememebr what it's called at the mo - I am at work] and this see's the mouse & dongle and allows a probe of the USB stack which see's the dongle.

Bottom line is that there is not a "supported" driver for the LT dongle for OSX which is why it does not appear as a bluetooth device.

Looking at the LT site it does clearly state that the Dinovo combo is not supported for OSX :wacko:

I'm holding out on the kext if not - I'll buy a 3rd party BT Dongle and use that as well as the logitech for dual boot purposes.

Hey there,

Yes - I have just got it to work. Took a while though! I am using version 2.1.3 of IOBluetoothHIDDriver.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext installed with Kext Helper b7 [these are from a 10.5.6 install DVD] I am able to pair up and use my dinovo keyboard and mouse [even the volume keys on the keyboard work]. You can check the version you have installed by looking at /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist

I'm going to take a look at DoubleCommand now to sort out the keyboard assignments

• 3 months later...

Hhm, an old topic... I've tried the Logitech, and the Belkin FBT013, BT adapter without much success in connecting my Logitech DiNovo keyboard (media deskset). What's the best BT adapter to use to connect an Apple Wireless Keyboard, and iPhone, etc.? It seems that users of the Dlink dbt-122 have acheived some success, but from what I read, peripherals like the Logitech keyboard are not going to be fully compatible with OSX? Shall I just get the Apple keyboard and see which adapter (Logitech, or Belkin) works best? I use a USB Microsoft Trackball (10 years old... and worn) which I'd like to update to a newer wireless trackball. Any recommendations? Thanks for reading!

• 5 months later...

Guys - The thing with this dongle is that it has two modes - One is where it emulates a PS/2 mouse USB connection, which is just for one logitech product.

But the mode we want is the regular bluetooth mode, where you can connect everything.

The trick is to hold the red button down and plug it in and keep holding it for about 5 seconds. Then you should see the bluetooth icon in your menubar and system preferences, and it'll work just like any other bluetooth dongle. Problem is, each time you unplug it you gotta do this trick again - It doesn't stay in that mode.

BTW - I'm using the dongle that came with the PC dinovo edge.

• 2 years later...

Sorry about resurrecting a very old topic, but this is pretty much the only information regarding this issue I could find on the web. From what I understand, the Apple Bluetooth module allows the Apple Bluetooth peripherals to operate in pre-OS environments using the same dual-mode HID/HCI operation that the Logitech Bluetooth dongle uses. So there is probably something in the Apple Bluetooth driver that triggers the HID-to-HCI mode switch once OS X boots. Elsewhere, there's also a HID2HCI driver for the Logitech Bluetooth dongle that works on Linux. Putting these two together, I think it would be possible to create an HID2HCI kext for OS X that works with the Logitech dongle. Does anyone know if such a thing already exists, or if anyone's working on something like this?