[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD 2400 / 2600 / 2900 / 3850 / 3870 on Leopard

mcsmart

560 posts in this topic

Working on getting my Radeon HD 3200 working in 10.5.6. Specs are AMD TF-20, iPC 10.5.6 with Voodoo 9.5.0. I can use the framebuffer drivers to get native resolution but I want to get the X2000s working. I've been working on it for a few hours and I've distilled it all the way down to the following consistent error. I get four error screens, two are garbage, one is the blue login hue and it lands on the white one. The Opengl patch is mentioned but I can't figure out what ya'll are referring to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i Have Asus EAH3870x2

and installed the file 3870x2.pkg and others who appear is this forum, but makes no changes, I can not change my screen resolution and have spent hours searching

how to install this graphics card. anyone know?

and install drivers only recognize 512 of ram but my graphics card has 1GB

• 3 weeks later...
This is a small guide on how to set up Natit for PCI-E Radeon HD graphics cards in Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.5 & higher). By following the steps below you will get full QE/CI/OpenGL and DVI output. HDMI, S-Video and Composite outputs are confirmed to work with a Radeon HD3870.

It is actually a lot easier than you might think.

Important!

This guide is for advanced users only. If you want a simple installer, check lastExile's installer collection.

In case you have an older version of Leopard installed, see the archived copy of this post.

Supported Radeon HD cards:

• Radeon HD 2400
  • Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Radeon HD 2600 XT
  • Radeon HD 2900 Pro, Radeon HD 2900 XT
  • Radeon HD 3850
  • Radeon HD 3870
  • Radeon HD 3870x2
  • Other Radeon HD 2x00/38x0 cards might work as well

Step by step guide:

1. Get Natit (attached to this post)
  2. Extract the archive and copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions
  3. Locate ATIRadeonX2000.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, Open /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist with the editor of your choice and add the PCI ID of your card (if it is not already in there). Save.
    • Only if you have a Radeon 2900 Pro or a Radeon 2900 XT download this
      Extract it and copy ATY_Franklin.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns.
    • Otherwise skip this step.

[*]Open Terminal (if you haven't already done so) and type:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
sudo chown -R root:wheel *
sudo chmod -R 755 *
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Caches/com.apple.kext.info

[*]You are done. Reboot and pray :rolleyes:

Additional files

If you have problems with white menus, you might want to try one of these files. Starting with 10.5.5 it should not be necessary to install these patches any more.

• If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.1 download this (white menu fix)
    Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.
  • If you have a Radeon 2600 Pro or a Radeon 3850 and 10.5.2 download this (white menu fix)
    Extract it and replace the original ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle in /System/Library/Extensions with the one you have just downloaded.

Notes:

• It is recommended to perform a clean install. Do not select any graphics-related things during the installation.
  • AMD users: you might need a patched OpenGL.framework.
  • Radeon HD 2400 users: You do not get DVI support. You have to use a DVI2VGA-converter instead.
  • If DVI works, HDMI will work as well (with DVI2HDMI adaptor), no HDMI audio ATM
  • AGP versions of these cards require additional patching. I cannot test it and therefore this guide does only apply to the PCI-E versions.

Changelog:

• 2009-03-01: Updated permissions of Natit.
  • 2009-02-27: Added new Natit.kext and updated the post.
  • 2008-04-03: updated 2900 information, added ATY_Franklin.kext link, added link to FAQ

Thanks to netkas who made these great drivers. For more information check the #radeonhd IRC channel at irc.osx86.hu

Please also have a look at this FAQ!

i wan't do this, but i cant boot my installation cuz i have an graphics fail while i'm booting, what can i do?! plz help

• 2 weeks later...

I's there any possibility at all to make a gigabyte ati (and not sapphire) HD 3870 Radeon to work properly with mac, and I mean Leopard or Snow leopard, because I have tried many times, I have followed many instructions posted over the internet etc., but haven’t succeeded in booting in any other way but safe mode (-x), and that only with no kext for the graphic card. As soon as I install one, the system stops booting. I do not know, maybe I am not doing something right, I tried Iatkos, Hazard, iDeneb and other distributions on two different mobos (Ga-ep35-ds3 and ga-ep43-ud3l) but the result was always the same. I do have to say that the ep35's LAN worked out of the box (but that’s irrelevant).

So in brief - my question is Is there any hope at all for the Ati 3870 graphic card?

thank you in advance

Edited by Stayer

alright, so I have an issue with my ATi Mobility Radeon 2600.

right before I install Kalyway 10.5.2, I click Customize and choose the drivers for the 2600 XT and 2600 Pro + a kernel I know is working.

when the installation is done it reboots, of course.

now it enters Mac OS X. I get pass the white/grey screen, but when it's about the continue my screen goes all different colours and showing only (sort of) big pixels. I can hear OS X beginning, after that a male voice starts speaking to guide me ahead. The problem is, I just can't see anything but random colours.

I can use my keyboard perfectly. the voice starts telling me what I have selected whenever I move my arrow keys right or left.

I really need some help on this, after trying a 10.6 version, iDeneb, iPC, iAtkos v7 and Kalyway. Kalyway + iAtkos (I think) is the only one letting me pass all the other stuff. untill I get my screen issue.

if anyone has some tips I'd really appreciate it. I'm ready to try almost everything.

otherwise, and till then, I have to consider my ATi Radeon 2600 just isn't compatible with OS X.

HELP ANYONE!

Processor : AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM 80 @ 2100 MHz (64bit)

Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Hard Disk : TOSHIBA (400 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : TWR J4XA3WP2B41 SCSI CdRom Device

DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L ATA Device

DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Monitor Type : AUO - 14 inches

Network Card : BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller

Network Card : RTL8101 PCIe Fast Ethernet Adapter

I cannot figure out how to load any mac os x version onto my machine. What am i missing, every version loads to the boot screen where I hit F8 then the white apple screen begins to appear then the pc reboots everytime. I still haven't seen the option to select language....

What do I need, is my amd processor not compatible?

Let me know, email me @ rlenny03@yahoo.com

HELP ANYONE!

Processor : AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM 80 @ 2100 MHz (64bit)

Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Hard Disk : TOSHIBA (400 GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : TWR J4XA3WP2B41 SCSI CdRom Device

DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L ATA Device

DVD-Rom Drive : MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Monitor Type : AUO - 14 inches

Network Card : BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller

Network Card : RTL8101 PCIe Fast Ethernet Adapter

I cannot figure out how to load any mac os x version onto my machine. What am i missing, every version loads to the boot screen where I hit F8 then the white apple screen begins to appear then the pc reboots everytime. I still haven't seen the option to select language....

What do I need, is my amd processor not compatible?

Let me know, email me @ rlenny03@yahoo.com

depends on which installer/program you've chosen. Kalyway, iPC, iDeneb etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I have been reading through all these threads about the ati hd 2400 pro problems and i am trying to get QE/CI to work but like you guys experinced i got the screen with garbled out put after boot up too but then... I found the FIX!!!!! I changed the device id in the AtiRadeonX2000.kext/info.plist then in the com.apple.boot.plist i added the lines <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>y<string> then installed Triakis_2400_2600_3800.zip, then deleted the extension.mkext. I rebooted and i can change the resolutions and i have full QE/CI support. Im running iAtkos v7 with an Ati HD 2400 Pro device id 094c3.

This has been a ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE for me. I started with Ideneb v1.3 (10.5.5) and followed the install steps to update to 10.5.8

I have ATI 2400XT (0x94c11002) (Small form factor on a Dell Optiplex 755 SFF) and i have read AT LEAST 10 hours of forums trying to get this to work. I've tried the 2 different installers. I have tried the various instructions here at the page. I am not sure if the Frame buffer doesn't have permissions but I tried all the previous tried things, reparied permissions and then rebooted. I am using the latest B.loader Chameleon RC4 and even typing "Graphics Mode"="1920x1440x32" caps me at 1600x1200. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 23" plastic clear bezel. I have read close to 4 years worth of forum information.

And not once have I gotten close. I was able to install NATIT.kext which was fine but the second you install ATIx2000.kext, after reboot you get a scrambled screen. If you let it sit long enough it goes to a "windows" blue background, than a royal blue background, than an all white background. no cursor. If you hold the power button to restart, you can see BITS of the screen, in no particular order.

I don't think I have the ATI Bios, so maybe that's the problem? Any help...please?

Obviously I am on Leopard and NOT snow leopard as my 10.5.8 is my updates.

I can provide more details if needed, but I come from an x86 background/ dos so hang tight with me while I learn Linux/unix commands please:)

Okay I got it to work!!! Well, the dual monitor (no mirror) works, but the QE doesn't, even after putting Megalodon in the EFI Code/kext code.

The instructions I followered were actually for 10.5.5 even though I am on 10.5.8 I followed those instructions here.

CLICK HERE

Some things to keep in mind. When you literally copy and paste the code in EFI Studio under the DISPLAY information (pciroot (0x4), etcetc) DO NOT CHANGE THAT AT ALL.

When adding the hardware address to the info.plist, PUT it in the correct order. I put the 0x94c11002 before the 0x94c81002. It might have nothing to do with it, but I've literally spend close to 15+hours in front of the machine trying to get this to work, so if you are desperate, cant hurt.

I next loaded OSX TOOLS and choose the 3 top scripts to run, which (if I remember correctly) were Repair Permissions, Something about the extended cache and then clearing the extended cache. The first 3 options. Then I rebooted with -v -f and all is well, minus what I am about to post

here is the problem

The screen locks up immediately after loading the background (ideneb stock background). The mouse still moves and if you click on things that are normally there, you are clicking on them, but there is no screen refresh at all so you have no idea. the interesting part about this is, if you boot into safe mode (-x) the drivers still load (as in both screens are shown up) and you can move around just fine, set resolutions, refresh rates, run the computer like it should be. This is how I know QE isn't enabled (unless thats part of the SAFE MODE prowess, please inform if thats the casE). So obviously something that is loaded is conflicting with the video driver when its in NORMAL boot up. Any info on what it could be? I checked for NATIT.kext and it wasn't there. No ATY_INject either. Any pro care to help us frustrated people out even more?:(

Sorry for the book.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, i've got an HD3850 512 with two monitors connected, via DVI and VGA.

I manually modified ATI3800Controller.kext to be able to change resolution, but I can't get QE/CI/GL working.

any solution or idea? maybe some strings to edit in another kext?

My os x is 10.6.4 retail, installed with the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] + [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method

• 3 weeks later...

All installed with a few problems, now sorted

Got the Ethernet driver installed and other things. I have not however succeed to get my dual screen to work. I have tried pretty much every website with the card in the web page, and nothing. I even tried the kext for the nearest model i could find and installed it, which really cocked it all up!

Im looking for the Radeon HD 3600

Please Help!

• 5 weeks later...
Hi guys. I have been reading through all these threads about the ati hd 2400 pro problems and i am trying to get QE/CI to work but like you guys experinced i got the screen with garbled out put after boot up too but then... I found the FIX!!!!! I changed the device id in the AtiRadeonX2000.kext/info.plist then in the com.apple.boot.plist i added the lines <key>GraphicsEnabler</key><string>y<string> then installed Triakis_2400_2600_3800.zip, then deleted the extension.mkext. I rebooted and i can change the resolutions and i have full QE/CI support. Im running iAtkos v7 with an Ati HD 2400 Pro device id 094c3.

does this work for iAtkos S3?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got full QE/QC with my card ATI HD 3870 on Leopard 10.5.8

1. Boot safe mode with -x

2. Repair disk permission

3. Remove all kext ATI and Geforce and Natit

4. Install this pkg

5.Restart in safemode and reload kext with -x -f

5. Restart in safemode with -x

6. Restart normal then get full QC/ QE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4yc9hqmc9bww777