Realtek RTL8187B wireless USB alias NetgearWG311v3

dschaek

26 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi !

I tried your driver, but not running in my Hackintosh :) . I don't know if I have the RTL8187B or RTL8187L.

my config:

P5W-DH Deluxe

10.5 (ToH DVD).

I don't installed EFI. (IS IT REALLY INDISPENSABLE???).

The problem is: when I try to install the package, just before the end of installing, a message appears "Error Failed during installation"

What is the problem Pleeeeease ????????

Thanks a lot!

Le-Bebop

• 2 weeks later...

i found this and tried it BUT NO LUCK :(

Now you native monitor is now fully supportive with all resolutions!

! Onto the wireless internet. Once again on a different computer go to

the realtek website and download the rtl8187b driver for mac osx 10.3 - 10.4

Before we install this we need to delete a text because leopard will get confused.

Click on the hardrive and go to system/library/extensions folder and find rtl8187.kext.

Move that babey to the trash and empty it!

Now install the newly download package and reboot.

When we are back on find the terminal either by searching or unless you already know where it is.

Open it up. Type these. cd / hit enter cd /system/library/extensions/rtl8187bt.kext/contents

hit enter sudo nano info.plist hit enter now use the arrow keys to go up and down.

Find near the bottom <integer/>33161</integer> and change the numbers to 33175.

when done press control and x. Press y for yes and hit enter.

Done. If it doesnt show up already go to applications and click on the realtek app to connect to the internet!

(you might need to reboot first).

• 2 months later...

I just installed this driver for my Trendnet TEW-424UB V30.R which according to my Dell Latitude D620 running 10.5.4 Aitkos 4.0i is a RTL8187B and it works great! This will have to suffice until proper drivers are created for the built-in Intel 3945abg. Installed, restarted, and ran the Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility and it finds the Trendnet with no problems. I was able to connect up to my WAP encrypted router and I'm now downloading software updates from Apple! The version I installed was v1117 available from Realtek's website.

Cheers!

i installed it and it worked just fine, but after like ten minutes a black box comes out and it tells me that i need to shut down my computer by holding the start button, does anyone know why this is happening?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest BuildSmart

Because the driver is available for the chipset used in your USB device doesn't mean the ID's are in the driver for it to match on.

The ASUS P5W HD Deluxe wireless works using the Realtek driver, the NetGear WG311 v3 also works with the Realtek driver, the TrendNET TEW-424UB worked with the Realtek driver.

All these devices required editing of the associated Info.plist file to add the device ID's, this information can be obtained from System Profiler by selecting the device in the USB device list.

If you have confirmed the device you have is a Realtek RTL8187 based device then the only thing preventing the device from working is installing the appropriate driver and editing it's Info.plist file.

Knowing which driver to install and edit is simple, if you see RTL8187B in System Profiler then the device will use the RTL8187B driver, RTL8187 or RTL8187L devices will use the RTL8187L driver.

• 4 months later...

Can anybody say how can I enable WLAN from system preference ? Netgear driver for mac which I installed said me to do so... But I can't find any options to do that. I have a netgear WG111 v3 USB adapter. Any one using it with leopard x86 ?

EDIT : I made my USB adapter work, with the official driver, after installing the app without pluging the dongle until the OS get restarted.

This is a really interesting thread. I hope I will be able to make my wireless PCI card work this way, providing that you didn't make a mistake in the title when you wrote WG311v3.

So I tried this, it didn't work for me. I looked in Info.plist, I see two devices: one is the configuration for WG111v3 and the other for the Realtek RTL8187B. I tried to change the product ID like someone above has said to do to no avail. Also tried adding my own key and string of IOPCIPrimaryMatch with my device ID and vendor (0x11AB1FAA) but didn't work.

Several people said in this thread this driver can make the WG311v3 PCI adapter work. Can you please share how you got it working?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any update?!?! Who can help me?

I think PixNinja hit the nail on the head when he said "I made my USB adapter work, with the official driver, after installing the app without pluging the dongle until the OS get restarted." at Post #13.

I had been trying to get a RTL8187B working, but it only worked sometimes, however by only plugging in the USB adapter and then connecting with the 'Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility' it seems to work fine.

Thanks PixNinja

I think PixNinja hit the nail on the head when he said "I made my USB adapter work, with the official driver, after installing the app without pluging the dongle until the OS get restarted." at Post #13.

I had been trying to get a RTL8187B working, but it only worked sometimes, however by only plugging in the USB adapter and then connecting with the 'Realtek USB WLAN Client Utility' it seems to work fine.

Thanks PixNinja

Thanks for that tip. I'll try that plugging it in after the OS boots. But do I unplug before I start. My system is so sensitive if i pull something out and reboot i may have to reinstall the os again. This is what I have:

I have the following system:

DELL 4700 P4 3.0MHZ

with OSX86 10.5.1 Kalyway

and a ATI X300 video card.

Airlink 101 AWLL3028 with 8187b download installed (haven't tried the commands mentioned above)

X300 of course only working with the default resolution. If anyone can recommend an USB wireless that works out-of-box with no problems that would be great. The latest is that wlan utility finally works after download 8187 but says to enable WLAN in system preferences. But no luck there with ethernet like others. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for that tip. I'll try that plugging it in after the OS boots. But do I unplug before I start. My system is so sensitive if i pull something out and reboot i may have to reinstall the os again. This is what I have:

I have the following system:

DELL 4700 P4 3.0MHZ

with OSX86 10.5.1 Kalyway

and a ATI X300 video card.

Airlink 101 AWLL3028 with 8187b download installed (haven't tried the commands mentioned above)

X300 of course only working with the default resolution. If anyone can recommend an USB wireless that works out-of-box with no problems that would be great. The latest is that wlan utility finally works after download 8187 but says to enable WLAN in system preferences. But no luck there with ethernet like others. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, you do need to have it unplugged when you boot your system. Once the system has booted and gone to the desktop view, you can then plug the USB wifi in and enable it in System Preferences/Network where it will just show up as an Ethernet Connector. You can then connect to your network with the Realtek ASB WLAN Client Utility and if you build a ptofile in that, it will automatically connect when you plug it in in the future.

Yes, you do need to have it unplugged when you boot your system. Once the system has booted and gone to the desktop view, you can then plug the USB wifi in and enable it in System Preferences/Network where it will just show up as an Ethernet Connector. You can then connect to your network with the Realtek ASB WLAN Client Utility and if you build a ptofile in that, it will automatically connect when you plug it in in the future.

Thanks. Yes successive restarts / unplug re-plugin now it works great.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a toshiba l40-18l, and I have mac osx 10.6.3

it's all perfect but my wirless is not working,

the board is the RTL8187B

I have the drive and installed Realtek wlan client utility and

when I open it appears in the Dock but not open.

If I can help someone. is that the preferences of the airport network does not appear

Hi,

Yes, I have a similar problem. I installed iATKOS 10.6.3 S3 V2 on my Toshiba A205-S5803 and have everything functioning properly except my wireless card (rtl8187b). The iATKOS installation gives one the option of installing the rtl8187b driver and installs the realtek wireless utility as an application so I edited the info.plist file and changed the value of "33161" to "33175" as many people are suggesting and I have no success. I have tries re-installed the Kext but it only crashed my computer by popping up that gray square that says "you must restart your computer...hold down the power button..."

Any ideas??? :-(

Hey all!

After about 10+ OSX reinstalls, I finally figured out that the iATKOS CD comes with the drivers and the Realtek utility for my wireless card and that, as easy as it sounds, all that I needed to do was edit the info.plist file with plist editor and, after saving the changes on the info.plist file, I rebooted and the Realtek utility crab was sitting at the bottom of the dock and was asking me to configure it. The only "drawback" is that the "airport" icon doesn't appear yet but that doesn't matter as long as one can access the internet!

Hey all!

After about 10+ OSX reinstalls, I finally figured out that the iATKOS CD comes with the drivers and the Realtek utility for my wireless card and that, as easy as it sounds, all that I needed to do was edit the info.plist file with plist editor and, after saving the changes on the info.plist file, I rebooted and the Realtek utility crab was sitting at the bottom of the dock and was asking me to configure it. The only "drawback" is that the "airport" icon doesn't appear yet but that doesn't matter as long as one can access the internet!

Does yours hold its wep key etc? Mine is working fine apart from every reboot I have to re-enter my wep key as it's forgotten about the connection.

Does yours hold its wep key etc? Mine is working fine apart from every reboot I have to re-enter my wep key as it's forgotten about the connection.

Fixed it biggrin.gif Needed a profile setup in the netgear utility for the connection.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem. I have the .kext and the utility, but the utility just jumps once and then no more signs. Can anyone upload their kext and utility please?

I have a Toshiba L40 with the RTL8187B card... Please help =X

Well. I've got it to work!

However I have a problem/question.

Everytime I boot the realtek utility asks me for the password.

How can I avoid this?