My Mac Feels ICKY!

U.C.

Urge to reinstall OSX  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever felt the urge to reinstall OSX, even though it works just fine?

• Yes
    • No
    • You must be nuts

44 posts in this topic

I reinstalled Leopard once, because I was stuck in a developer build of 10.5.2 -- and I thought that would get rid of the choppiness of the X3100... and it didn't :@

In fact, for some reason, since the upgrade to the final release of 10.5.2, battery life sucks (3.5 hour vs 5, coconut says battery is still good), and fans suck -- erm, harder. Runs alot hotter.

I'll probably format Leopard again in the summer -- for both performance and personal reasons (Downloads and Documents get way too cluttered, so formatting forces me to toss all the junk :))

Dont blame me, blame the Windows Format Cycle. I dont have time, but well there are a few quirks with my Leopard Install.

I know that feeling man. It sucks. Compy rehab time :P

I would reinstall more often(at all), but I hate shutting down my computer. I don't know why, but I never turn them off. My MacBook Air hasn't been off since I bought it, though it has been restarted. The MacBook Pro has been off one night only and the iMac is off when there is a power outage. :P

20080320-wusme8w41fmkpisnk9ebwe66t.jpg

And you should see my iMac's. Been on since the day 10.5.2 was released. Not been updated since.

EDIT: Dammit, I always forget to edit that name out...

I would reinstall more often(at all), but I hate shutting down my computer. I don't know why, but I never turn them off. My MacBook Air hasn't been off since I bought it, though it has been restarted. The MacBook Pro has been off one night only and the iMac is off when there is a power outage. :huh:

20080320-wusme8w41fmkpisnk9ebwe66t.jpg

And you should see my iMac's. Been on since the day 10.5.2 was released. Not been updated since.

EDIT: Dammit, I always forget to edit that name out...

is that a quicklook of system profiler, or a different leopard theme? but dont your computers feel sluggish after a few days from all the memory usage, or do you use ifreemem or something?

It really shouldn't feel sluggish actually since most of your apps are cached and memory does get claimed back. Your system should be responsive over time anyway even dispite Vista caching all your free memory, your system should feel less responsive on a fresh boot because barely anything is cached.

Linux to me feels faster over time, OS X feels about the same and Windows seems to just rot over time.

is that a quicklook of system profiler, or a different leopard theme? but dont your computers feel sluggish after a few days from all the memory usage, or do you use ifreemem or something?

Its goo old HUD ;)

Everyone is doing it :P

Think Mark

My computer is no slower than the moment that I opened it up. Also, iFreeMem is a joke in my opinion. All it does it takes RAM away from open applications to make it free, which doesn't speed up anything. If you open up a memory intensive application, Mac OS X automatically takes memory from the opened apps and gives it to the just opened app.

20080322-kuirj82dt8p4isp1j8kx667quk.jpg

I recently reinstalled leopard because BootCamp gave me the "Some files cannot be moved" error.

Got all my files down to 3GB. 2Gb of that was music too. /flex

Made the thing run so much faster.

Goddamn Windows-Format-Cycle.

What are you referring to here?

XP has always been insanely solid for me. I had it installed, the SAME install, for four years on my old P4 rig. It was my do-everything box, from games to productivity to internet to music to whatever else, and it *never* had a problem. Ever. I never had any of this "slowdown over time" stuff either.

My current gaming rig just passed it's one-year anniversary, with XP64 running on it since day 1. Hasn't given me a lick of trouble, and that thing is ALWAYS running.

My old laptop ran XP with no problem, I also ran Vista Ultimate x64 on it for several months with no issues. Right now it has Server 2008 on it, and it survived a pretty brutal week of experimentation for my MCTS 2008 classes and tests. Which I passed. 8) The laptop passed too, never had a problem despite running the thing practically out of RAM on a daily basis. It sat at 1.8GB/2GB used for 10 hours. Never missed a beat, still ran fast and smooth. Not bad for having an Active Directory forest and domain set up inside it on virtual machines!

What kinds of things are you installing that bog the system down so much?

Well my system is faster now, and feels less ICKY!! I can say it was worth it. This topic can be closed now.

My computer is no slower than the moment that I opened it up. Also, iFreeMem is a joke in my opinion. All it does it takes RAM away from open applications to make it free, which doesn't speed up anything. If you open up a memory intensive application, Mac OS X automatically takes memory from the opened apps and gives it to the just opened app.

Of course - the virtual memory system is supposed to swap pages out to disk to make more room in physical memory. And as someone said, memory is reclaimed when an application (or process, rather) is terminated, even if it's done forcibly. Memory leaks happen when a continuously present process, such as a background service, allocates memory and doesn't free it.

to answer the question on topic ... HELL YEAH !

I changed motherboard and the damn thing just won't slow down (!!) I'm used to windows , by the time i installed 10 gigs of software, it slowed down 50% and had to format. Not on mac :) .... frustrating :P)