My Mac Feels ICKY!

U.C.

Urge to reinstall OSX  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever felt the urge to reinstall OSX, even though it works just fine?

• Yes
    • No
    • You must be nuts

44 posts in this topic

Well I have been a Windows User since sometime, and like all good Windows Users, I format it every 3 Months or so.

But OSX is a very different story. I have had the same install since I got my iMac last year in August. Now OSX just feels icky.....like I need to format it.

Its not like there are any problems with it or anything. Its just that Windows has been reinstalled like 5 Times on my Mac till now. But OSX.....its just been there.

Does anybody else get this feeling? Or do you all just think I am retarded??

it is a curse...

if everything is just not right in my mind i have to do a complete reinstall and rework my home network...

that is what i did the past week on my spring break...

pathetic...

:hysterical:

Although I'm on installation 87(yes I log them), I have one drive that runs without any fiddling, the others are to test new and exiting stuff!

Since Leo4All came out I started a new drive that I'm turning into hopefully a better one than my first then i'll switch! The only difference is the first see my machine as a Dell XP061c and the Loe4All see it as a MacPro3,1!

SticMAN

Only 2 ppl think I am nuts. Woohoo.

@sdracer: its totally the same with me.

I don't. It's too much hassle. Even though everything is backed up wirelessly with Time Machine, and that most stuff I have I use .Mac to sync. The only thing that bugs me to put back in is my music collection.

I hate having to set up my Mac from scratch again, which is the only reason I havent formatted yet. If I do a Archive and Install, its not gonna feel clean.

Man this sucks. Maybe I will just reinstall XP.

Before i had my iMac, i installed a new OS every half day. Seriously.

With OSx86, the JaS DVD Has gone in and out of my drive more times that i have had hot dinners.

I only ever installed windows and some AV, which ever version took my fancy at that current moment, as i knew that before the hour was out, the ubuntu disk would be out.

Then after about 2 minutes of the installation completing the G Parted Live CD would come out, followed by boot and nuke then Zephyroth would go on.

Back to windows, then {censored}ed up a HDD because i took it to school (wanted my Leo to go everywere with me :) and scratched it.

Got an iMac. Only installed leo on it 4 times since Jan 19th. first becuase i wanted to see an install on a real mac, second becuase i {censored}ed some thing up in terminal :S and third because of the prefPanel addon, Secrets.

I did it again last night to show how i could delete everything and still have everything in time machine.

Think Mark... Yeh. Not at all strange...

Why don't you try defragmenting your drive and running Onyx. Maybe you have a few apps hogging your memory?

I've run 10.4.10 since it came out (tubgirl) and I've never noticed anything getting slower or buggier, whatever. I download several GBs per day and also copy stuff around a lot so my disc could probably need defragging. But as I said: no laggy OSX86 for me! :)

I do that with Windows all the time.

I just kind of get bored of looking at the same thing everyday, so I start it new all the time. Not a problem with Windows, but I just can't seem to be entertained for so long .:hysterical:

@hecker: I have absolutely no problems with my current install. It boots up in 10 secs, shuts down in 2sec. Apps work great. I just have nagging feeling, kinda like my internal body clock is reminding me that my comp is due for a format.

@hecker: I have absolutely no problems with my current install. It boots up in 10 secs, shuts down in 2sec. Apps work great. I just have nagging feeling, kinda like my internal body clock is reminding me that my comp is due for a format.

I see. I guess that must be the windows-long-term-use trauma syndrome kicking in!

^^ Exactly, didnt know you even had a term for it :(
Well, I'm a recovering WinOS user myself. I took me quite a time to get over it and I still get the shakes whenever I have to deal with other "users" problems. :(

how does yours boot up so fast?! my late 2006 macbook takes 40-60 sec to boot up. although i did do an archive and install from a relatively fresh tiger install. if i erased my drive and did a clean install do you think i can get your kind of start up times. By the way, I am the same way about reinstalling, I constantly feel like i could be getting better performance, I do this with Firefox and Safari too... whenever a new beta comes out I switch to it, and then switch back, its kind of annoying.

Ummm my iMac is just that fast since I got it. Some MacBooks are excruciatingly slow, I would recommend OnyX (Maintenance Scripts) and Disk Utility(Repair Permissions) or maybe even a reformat.

Hmmmm. Now I have a 4-Day holiday. Plus the Leopard DVD is itching to be used. ...................ARGGHHHHHH........... What the heck. I guess I will jump in and reinstall Leopard. Maybe even XP.

Hmmmm. Now I have a 4-Day holiday. Plus the Leopard DVD is itching to be used. ...................ARGGHHHHHH........... What the heck. I guess I will jump in and reinstall Leopard. Maybe even XP.

Hahaha. And another one bites the dust! (another OS, that is).

you guys are having wayyyy too much time!

- i haven't set up my debian (originally coming from hamm, ie.e 2.0) since 1998... i'm only upgrading...

- my leo-hack runs for two months now, working fine and see no reason for reinstalling it at all...

- same goes for my mbp...

- even my xp64 runs fine since last summer, but i only play games on it. screw all those news about a new gfx-driver providing 60% more power or so!

but if your mac feels icky, go ahead, do as you like ;)

Dont blame me, blame the Windows Format Cycle. I dont have time, but well there are a few quirks with my Leopard Install.

Did you install 10.5.0? There were some reports of problems with it (upgrading at least) and thus we're up to 10.5.2 already. If you don't have it, find someone/where to get a 10.5.2 clean install DVD so you can skip any problems the early adopters had to deal with.