Dell E521 - Success!

NUCLEaR

86 posts in this topic

I do hope we see Radeon X1300XT Drivers soon, but I have to give this guide credit. It covered most items you are going to deal with.

One thing, select "NO" video drivers if you are running the Radeon X1300XT that Dell offered for these. If you do you will get stuck hanging with the first screens never loading.

I'm still waiting to see if the sound works, but everything else appears to be working correctly.

Overall this is my first time playing with MacOS in a long time (prior to X) and I'm impressed.

Well, sound works perfectly. The hack to increase the size of the video works well too.

The only problem I am experiencing is that my network card will sometimes decide to stop sending/recieving data. I haven't had a chance to look into that problem yet.

I did run the 9.2.2 Kernel. Right now I'm looking at grabbing the 4.1 version and updating to 10.5.x that is on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Success. I got mines working over the weekend after battling errors that looking back could of been avoided had I spent the time reading all of the instructions. I decided to post some of my gotyahs so that you won't get caught also:

• My Specs
    • E521 AMD 4000+ / 2gb ram / 235gb SATA HDD / Internal GeForce 6150 / SATA DVD / stac 92xx c-major HD audio

I didn't want to :) around with dual booting so I opted to just dedicate the system to run OS X.

• The Install (Part I)
    • My first pass failed. I kept getting an error where the screen would hang in -v mode. After some googling, I found out that when I burned the ISO, I should of used a lower speed. So I burned a new ISO at 2x.

[*]The Install (Part II)

• This time I made it to the GUI install screen. I was too excited and instead of following Nuclear's instructions, I got click happy and clicked NEXT-NEXT-NEXT.
    • Once the install was completed and the system rebooted I was presented with an HFS+ Partition Error. {censored}!

[*]The Install (Part III)

• I went ahead and used the Disk Utility erased everything and create the Mac partition with GUID settings.
    • Once the install was completed and the system rebooted I was presented with a cannot find root device error. {censored} again!

[*]The Install (Part IV)

• Determined to get it right, I slowly reread Nuclear's instructions. It mentions that I needed to click Customize and select my chip set stuff ({censored}).
    • Kicked off a 4th install and followed all the steps I did previously except that this time I clicked Customize right before the install and selected the options that Nuclear had mentioned, in particular the Nvidia driver for my motherboard.
    • Once the install was completed and the system rebooted I was presented with yet another error! This time it had to do with something not responding (sorry, I forgot the error). {censored} again!

[*]The Install (Final)

• After numerous googling I found a suggestion from some dude that said to try the NvidiaTest chipset driver. I started a new install doing everything I had missed and changing the chipset driver to use the NvidiaTest and checked off all the NIC drivers.
    • Once the install was completed and the system rebooted I was presented with success. I was asked about configuring my keyboard. Woo! Hoo!.

[*]Post Install Notes:

• The sound didn't work, but after following the instructions that Nuclear provided for that, I got that working.
    • Can't get passed the 1024x768 resolution issue. After reading around it looks like my internal GeForce 6150 isn't supported. I even tried to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist and changed the resolution there, but after reboot, it would just default to 1024x768. (If anybody knows a trick or a fix, hit me up)
    • I wanted to install iLife from another Mac I have. At first I got some alert that it could not be installed on my machine, but thanks for Pacifist (which comes already with Leo4all V3) I managed to get that installed.
      • Garageband wasn't working. It would crash after a few minutes. I did some googling and found somebody suggesting to do a software update on iLife apps only. That solved the problem

[*]OfficeMAC 08 works beautifully.

[*]For some reason the Preview.app keeps crashing. Not sure why, but I found an app called JustLooking. I plan to use that as a Preview replacement until I can get it fixed.

Hope all this stuff helps somebody!

Finally if anybody has some tips about updating this beast from 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 let me know.

;) Ag1010

For the resolution, open up com.apple.Boot.plist, and add the following:

<code><string>Graphics Mode</string>

<key>1280x1024x32</key></code>

Reboot, and it should be at that resolution. Feel free to change it. I'm about to install OS X on the same PC, but with 1GB of RAM.

Those other apps won't work because you don't have QE/CI, if you had a different video card, and had QE/CI, they would definitely work.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the E521 working as well. Created a bootable DVD from the leo4allv4.1 ISO, followed ag1010 (and others) advice. The Ethernet did not initially work, but I got a hold of the 1.5.1 version of AppleHDA.kext and a AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 and a file STAC9227_83847618.txt which was packaged as a zip, sorry I don't remember where I got it, but installed that and the ethernet started working. It's flackey and stops working after a while, but it's good enough to evaluate. I'm running 10.5.4 now!!!

I messed up my description. I mentioned the files to get the sound card to work (which did work for me after I installed the files as mentioned in the main post). The instructions for the sound card and ethernet details are:

Networking:

IONetworkingFamily Fix - Download - Simply overwrite kext in /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions. (This was version 1.5.1 that I got to work). The 1.6.x that came with the ISO didn't work for me.

Sound:

Hi first:

Save the Archive.zip to your desktop

Unzip the Archive.zip

open the Archive Folder

unzip the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip

click on the "STAC9227_83847618.txt" file and drag it onto the new "AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16" file (the one with the green turtle) the installation will start!

DO NOT open the "AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16" and then drag the txt file it won't work!

After it has done the install (about 2min) it will tel you to reboot, after you have rebooted once use "Kext Helper to install the AppleHDA.kext in the Archive Folder

Again, this did work for me and while the ethernet is flakey, it's good enough to test some things out.

Cheers All

mhackintosh

• 2 weeks later...

Dell E521 amd x2 2GHz, 1 or 2GB ram, Nvidia 8400gs, Sata 160GB, working with Leo4all-v3. Both display outputs are working. Time machine working.

BEWARE: I had to customize and install with the NForce "test" kext, NOT the old non-test NForce option. With the old nforce chipset driver, boot stalled at "waiting for device". Also, I had to mess with so many video options and packages that I've lost track of exactly what worked. ( I wonder why NUcLEAR had to use the opposide nforce chipset drivers from the ones that worked for me.)

* VIDEO: had to remove some default NV drivers. Sometimes had to remove 8400gs and use onboard. Ended up doing an upgrade of the display driver package to newer than 5.2, apply amd patches, and use EFIStudio. (and edit the apple boot plist). Final step to get QE working was editing PCI device ID in geforce kext plist.

Not working: cannot burn DVD.

Full succes here! :D

iDeneb 10.5.5

Only change my sh..y X1300 for a 8600 gt.

Bluetooth with a cheap dongle.

00:00.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02f0] (rev a2)

00:00.1 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:02fa] (rev a2)

00:00.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 [10de:02fe] (rev a2)

00:00.3 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 [10de:02f8] (rev a2)

00:00.4 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 [10de:02f9] (rev a2)

00:00.5 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge [10de:02ff] (rev a2)

00:00.6 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 [10de:027f] (rev a2)

00:00.7 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 [10de:027e] (rev a2)

00:02.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fc] (rev a1)

00:03.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fd] (rev a1)

00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge [10de:02fb] (rev a1)

00:09.0 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge [10de:0270] (rev a2)

00:0a.0 ISA bridge [0601]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge [10de:0260] (rev a3)

00:0a.1 SMBus [0c05]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus [10de:0264] (rev a3)

00:0a.2 RAM memory [0500]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 [10de:0272] (rev a3)

00:0b.0 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026d] (rev a3)

00:0b.1 USB Controller [0c03]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller [10de:026e] (rev a3)

00:0e.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0266] (rev a1)

00:0f.0 IDE interface [0101]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller [10de:0267] (rev a1)

00:10.0 PCI bridge [0604]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge [10de:026f] (rev a2)

00:10.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio [10de:026c] (rev a2) ---> out of the box

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Unknown device [10de:0402] (rev a1)

04:07.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX [14e4:170c] (rev 02)

04:09.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03) ---> modify kext

• 7 months later...

okay, so I guess I must have misread something or missed a step, haha!

So, I am running a LEo4All V3 Disk I found on a torrent, as I dont know where this alleged 'usual place' is. If its anything like where the 'usual place' for Xbox home-brew is, I am not going to find it with basic searches and forum reading.

the disk works with Disk Utility, and starts the installer, and usually the time calculation says something around 1hour 55 minutes and the entire screen freezes up, mouse and progress bar. I Dont usually let it sit out, As I let it sit about 45 minutes one time previously and I could see no change.

Also now my machine wont boot into Windows 7, it gives me a "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM" error. Hahaha, and I left my Windows 7 disk 8 hours away at my university, as I am on vacation. HAHA!

I may have to just REDOWNLOAD WIndows 7 on the fam laptop. Suck, yeah.

Suggestions? I was just installing Leopard on a spare 50 gig partition I had, I erased it and everything.