Dell E521 - Success!

NUCLEaR

86 posts in this topic

indyslim - we're you able to get your second hard drive running? I currently have a 80gb hard drive split into 2 partitions, one for XP one for mac os. I was thinking about picking up another SATA HD so that i can dedicate each of the HDs to each OS.

Did you get that working?

Unfortunately, no. I spent quite sometime lurking around the Dell forums. It seems that this particular motherboard on the E521 can boot from only one primary drive, even though you can hook up multiple drives. Yeah, bummer. Right now, I have the machine open, and just switch the SATA cables depending on what i want to run, Mac or Vista. Not the best solution. I think the best bet would be to get a sufficiently large SATA drive 500 gb+ and split it into Leopard and Windows. Then have the second/third drives for data, music etc.

Hope this helps.

Do you have the flaky network problem too or is yours just fine?

thanks

indy

.......can anyone tell me how to fix time machine

I have no idea what I did. It worked right off the bat. Sometimes, the external drive does not show up on the desktop, and Time Machine can't find it. A simple power on/off of the external drive fixes it.

indyslim thanks for the quick reply. my network has been fine so far. I haven't been using the onboard Ethernet, I've been using wifi with a d-link dwa-556. Its recognized as Airport and my only only complaint would be that I have to select my network and reenter my password every time I reboot the computer. It may just be a setting but this I'm still trying to figure things out.

As far as the multiple hard drive issue, I'm probably going to do the same thing as you. Buy a large 500 GB split that two ways and then use my 80G for anything else.

I get a "still waiting for root device" error
try booting with -v -f -xWhen I try to boot the DVD using -v -f -x I get a message "Cannot use ATS Persistent Store - switching to old FODB cache code" and then the process hangs. Any ideas? I am using a Dell Dimension 1521

I was optimistic about the Leo4All release, but I'm stuck at the 9.2.0 kernel part of the boot. Since the Tiger days (3-4 months ago), I haven't really tried installing Mac. This is the plain 9.2.0 not vanilla or the other one.

I've installed Leo4All v2 twice with varying degrees of success on my e521 AMD5000+.

The first time I installed I got past the dreaded part of the install where it can't find the hard drive. Erased, installed kernel 9.2.0, amd fix, and the video drivers. Installed the system, rebooted, and couldn't find any operating system.

Darn.

Used my Vista disk and pointed it to the Vista partition, couldn't point it to the Mac partition, and came here to look at the thread more. Saw the EasyBCD message, installed that. Followed the instructions, reboot. Boot to the Mac partition, selected the Mac partition and it kept getting stuck on "waiting for device" (after a iphone/tunes/whatever prompt).

Drats.

Switched the jumpers in my computer. Reformatted the Mac partition after another failed attempt. Reinstalled the same way. A little slower now.

Same problem with finding no operating system. Vista disk to the rescue.

Rebooted, loaded the Mac partition. Got to the place where it states the kernel number (still the 9.2.0) and hung. Hard drive light was on so I decide to do something and hope it finishes. It doesn't and the fan is now running. Faster. Fastest. Turn it off. Let it rest. Try again. Same problem.

Ugh.

Anyone with any ideas?

can someone help me getting my linksys WMP54G card working

iwantsound44,

let's not wait longer for WMP54G.

check for "STA_CardbusPCI-D1.0.4.0 UI-1.3.0.0_2006_11_23.dmg" - I forgot where I dl it but it's working.

Cheers.icon4.gif

For everyone in this thread, I thought I'd help out and make a .dmg that includes some much-wanted kexts (sans the elusive solution for the GeForce 6150), so here it is...audio, video (if you have the GeForce 7300 LE, that is), I've included macam for those with webcams like me, and an edited AboutThisMac.strings for those without Xcode.

:P

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XYZ5HGEP

(oh, and iwantsound44, I have a WMP54GS...it's working perfectly...what version of the card are you using?)

Great thread. Does anyone know if the ATI HD2400 card is supported? I have an E521 that everything (except DVD and a graphics card listed) works on. I'm an absolute newbie so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, I found a thread on how to install my ATI HD2400 but it only rebooted as a blue screen. When I press the power button to turn my machine off I can see the desktop underneath the blue screen for a second before it shuts down.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Leo4All v2 release working on my E521...

I have the GEforce 6150 so I'm stuck at the lower resolution. Everything else seems fairly stable except the USB stuff, mainly the mouse and keyboard. It will work fine for a while and then quit. If I unplug them they'll start working again... I'm using the Dell mouse and the Dell keyboard. They also don't go out at the same time. Sometimes the keyboard will go out, sometimes the mouse.

Any suggestions.

hey, just saw your post. ive got the same rig, it's all working good with the exception of the occasional software crash. i plan on putting a new video card in it soon. 512mb 8500GT. hopefully that works

has anyone gotten a new graphics card if so which one and how did u get it to work
I got a nvidia 7300GT and it worked out of the box with leo4allv3

• 2 months later...

i just got it working on my e521 today after about a week of effort. everything works great except the sound. that link for the Sigmatel STAC 9227 driver doesn't seem to work anymore can someone point me to where i can download that driver?

edit:

took like all night but i found it. everything else works outta the box, thanks to leo4all.

Nuclear,

Thanks for all your help so far.

Can you elaborate on what options you selected at the customize screen? More specifically, what are the AMD fixes? I chose the 9.2.0 kernel and the nForce driver but she still locks up during the install.

Thanks again for your assistance.

cdrz

Hi, I just installed leo4all v3 on my Dell E521 and I have everything working except sound(sigmatel) and QE(which i can live without). So my question is... does anyone have the working sigmatel driver for this dell? if so please post a link! lol

Thanks in advance...

*Edit

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for the driver but of course Manix had the pakage i needed right in this topic all along... >.< lol

Anyway... I obviously got the sound working but now my only problem is that in skype my friends say my mic is really quiet... I looked in the sound config options in skype and os x but I don't see any "Mic Boost" type of options :-\

Anyone know how to force mic boost or something?

I just want to ping the thread again as the Leo4All still locks up during install. What are the specific AMD fixes? I chose the 9.2.0 kernel and the nForce driver but she still locks up.

Thanks again

[edit] - she locks up anywhere from 40% to 90% so it seems to be pretty random. I've read some posts where folks have had more success installing v2 of Leo4All so I'll give that a shot while I continue reading.

[edit 2] - well I gave Leo4All v2 a shot this morning and to my surprise the installation went though fine! I did notice however that after rebooting I had an HFS error but I'm not too concerned about it. The fact that there were no kernel panics is great. I'll look into it when I get home but I'm hoping that its just a matter of choosing the proper SATA package (my first attempt was a basic install with no additional options selected).

[edit 3] - viola! after a little fdisk'ing i got it dual booting Leopard and Vista. Network is working out of the box but its not detecting my vid/sound card but I'm not too concerned as the hard part is done. Time for a time machine and to move on.

3 machines down with 1 left to go to complete the migration. :(

-cdrz

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone try Leo4All v4.1 yet? I'm giving it a shot as we speak but sure hope I don't run into the same kernel panics that I had with v3. (So far the only one that I've had success with on this e521 is v2).

I'll keep the thread updated for those who are interested in trying it.

-cdrz

Anyone try Leo4All v4.1 yet? I'm giving it a shot as we speak but sure hope I don't run into the same kernel panics that I had with v3. (So far the only one that I've had success with on this e521 is v2).

I'll keep the thread updated for those who are interested in trying it.

-cdrz

Im workin on it now, i have gotten most of it working except my graphics card (Nvidia 8500Gt) and my network card, (Same one that came with the computer.) When I'm installing it, i select,

Chipset drivers

-NforceTest (Works better than Nforce Driver beacuse DVD's now work.)

Audio Drivers

-Install later with the driver from the first post,

Graphic Drivers Not working!

-Tried just about everything, I select Nvidia kexts and NVkush and it wont start, I tried the same driver i used before and it causes it to crash.. Im stuck here!

However if I select nothing, it boots, and I can run in low resolution with a lot of tearing.

Network Not working!

-I have select everything and I cant get this to work either.

USB2.0

-Had to install this to get my usb ports to work.

And Left everything else at the default settings.

Cliff Notes

Nvidia 8500Gt doesn't work.

and

My network card doesn't work.