Dell E521 - Success!

NUCLEaR

86 posts in this topic

huh, well i did just that, and it seems that i have the same card as you, same revision too. I wonder why im not getting any sound? HD Audio shows up under sounds in prefs but profiler doesnt see it. Do I have to use the output on the front of the CPU or the green jack on the back?

huh, well i did just that, and it seems that i have the same card as you, same revision too. I wonder why im not getting any sound? HD Audio shows up under sounds in prefs but profiler doesnt see it. Do I have to use the output on the front of the CPU or the green jack on the back?

the green jack. It works fine for me. Use the driver in the first post, and it should work fine. That's what I did.

iwantsound - My system profiler doesn't recognize sound either, but it works, and that volume icon shows up on the top.

even on my other computer it does not show up in system profiler...even on everyone elses who has sound...there is not fix for that...but if you want to fix it youd have to edit a kext.. but even if it doesnt show in system profiler sound will work....also can someone tell me a good and cheap graphics card to get so i can get q/e

even on my other computer it does not show up in system profiler...even on everyone elses who has sound...there is not fix for that...but if you want to fix it youd have to edit a kext.. but even if it doesnt show in system profiler sound will work....also can someone tell me a good and cheap graphics card to get so i can get q/e

Good and cheap - not possible. Look around eBay and see what GeForce cards in the 8XXX seres are in your price range. I think that most of the 8XXX cards all have drivers for them.

Has anyone been able to dual boot on an E521 from two separate hard drives (not partitions)? It seems like the motherboard can boot only from one SATA connector. I have to keep changing SATA wires to boot into Vista and OSX. Any other elegant solution? Tried Arconis Disk director (AOSS), and Easy BCD. No avail.

thanks

indy

I tried this, and was getting an HFS+ partition error...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry682170

there's a forum I made about it...

I tinkered around for a while and got to the bootloader, and now when i select Windoze it says Winload.exe is missing or corrupt.

I've tried repairing it and bunches of other stuff to no luck....

The Mac side works fine though.

any help would be great.

I tried this, and was getting an HFS+ partition error...http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry682170there's a forum I made about it...I tinkered around for a while and got to the bootloader, and now when i select Windoze it says Winload.exe is missing or corrupt.I've tried repairing it and bunches of other stuff to no luck....The Mac side works fine though.any help would be great.

In case you end up coming back here, pop in your Vista installation disc, and when it boots, select "Repair My Computer". If it doesn't show your Vista installation, then click "Next" and run a command prompt and type the following:

diskpart

list disk (it will show you the hard drives in your computer and assign them a number)

select disk X (replace X with the number of the hard drive you want)

list partition (shows partitions)

select partition X (X being the partition you want)

active (marks the selected partition as the active one)

and then exit the command prompt and go back and then repair your startup options. Of course, when you do this, it will overwrite the MBR that was written when you installed Mac OS X, so you'll have to download a program called EasyBCD, and using it, add an entry for Mac OS X, and select the option that says "NST Mac OS X", and it should work from the get-go then. :)

can everyone post their specific hardware for their dimension e521 and what works and what doesnt...ill start

audio-Sigmatel STAC 9227-partially working-no mic in or headphones slot does not work

dvd drive TSSTcorp TS-H493A-partially working cant burn anything

time machine-not working(help)

usb-working

GEforce 6150 LE-not working-i am buying a geforce 7300 gs 512mb

dualboot-working using darwin as bootloader-but wrong time in leopard

Hey Guys, hopefully you guys can chime in on a few questions I had:

1. Video - Since it looks like we're not going t get support for our GEforce 6150, I decided that I should just purchase a new card. Do you guys have any suggestions on what would work well with our E521? I noticed that iwantsound44 mentions the 7300 gs and i also noticed that reality-x has a GeForce 8500GT, is there any particular reason why you guys choose or bought those cards?

My only real requirements is that I would like to spend under $100 and it has to be pcie x16. I've already used both pci slots (tv tuner and m-audio delta 1010) and I used the pci express x1 slot for a d-link wireless N card.

2. Sound - Will we eventually have full sound support or is this something we simply have to accept? Just curious...

My E521 came with the following:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 128MB of VRAM (CI/QE fully supported and enabled)

Sigmatel STAC 9227 (output only, but I'm not really complaining about that)

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW/TS-H653A (haven't tested burning yet, but I have a feeling that it'll fail. I'd just wait for MeDevil's nForce kext to get better before attempting a burn)

Time Machine appears to work (I don't have a spare hard drive or partition to test it out with)

Dual booting Vista and OS X, Vista has incorrect time.

Everything is working great, just wanted to thank everyone here. Nuclear, eddie11c, Reality-x, medevl, and Taruga.

I can't wait to get a new video card so that I can take advantage of the QE/CI and increase resolution on my 22". :P

I got a basic system, with the built in Video (6150). That did not work, so I got a 7300LE from new egg for $20, and it works like a charm. I am using Zephyroth's 10.5.2 Rev 2.

- Video - (MSI 7300 LE 256MB) works fine with CI/QE and mutliple resolutions.

- Audio (Sigmatel STAC 9227), have tested only output. I'm happy with that, as I have no need for sound input.

- Network (Built in - Broadcom 440) works fine when it does. But, it is flaky (with torrent and surfing at the same time, or surfing and transferring files from a server) and I have to reboot to get the network going again. Any help will be appreciated.

- I hooked up a DVD burner (Pioneer 110D) from an old machine using a USB enclosure. Burning (Toast and Disk Utility) works fine.

- Time Machine works great. NO problems. But, I haven't tried a restore.

- Trend Net PCI - wireless card does not work.

-indy

indyslim - we're you able to get your second hard drive running? I currently have a 80gb hard drive split into 2 partitions, one for XP one for mac os. I was thinking about picking up another SATA HD so that i can dedicate each of the HDs to each OS.

Did you get that working?