"ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

AJR08

44 posts in this topic

WOW.

Anyway to SLOW that down? I get like 5 lines of text then POOF in less than 1 second it reboots. I have tried 20 times to read it. I just cannot at that speed.

= (

What are your BIOS settings?.........if you can, then set as follows:

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

and see if that makes a difference......assuming you have these or similar options (or not) in your BIOS and can set:

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

JMicron SATA / PATA Controller [Disabled].....if JMicron present.....unless it works for you [Enabled].....but JMicron is known to cause problems for some....but JMicron patches for OS X Install DVDs are now appearing......

JMicron Controller Mode [AHCI]....if present.....

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Your system has a Intel 865G chipset......what OS X Install DVD are you using......

What are your BIOS settings?.........if you can, then set as follows:

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

and see if that makes a difference......assuming you have these or similar options (or not) in your BIOS and can set:

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

JMicron SATA / PATA Controller [Disabled].....if JMicron present.....unless it works for you [Enabled].....but JMicron is known to cause problems for some....but JMicron patches for OS X Install DVDs are now appearing......

JMicron Controller Mode [AHCI]....if present.....

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

OK, not sure I really got all that....

My Drive IS IDE ATA 100, so there is no Sata. And the bios settings for the 1712 were VERY limited... but I will F2 and have a look and try a few things if anything you suggested is possible.

BRB

= )

OK, not sure I really got all that....

My Drive IS IDE ATA 100, so there is no Sata. And the bios settings for the 1712 were VERY limited... but I will F2 and have a look and try a few things if anything you suggested is possible.

BRB

= )

Also, can you confirm for definite using a screenshot from running CPU-Z in Windows that your P4 Prescott HT is SSE3 or not and is 64-bit (EM64T) or not.....if there is no SATA and you have an PATA (IDE) HDD and PATA (IDE) DVDRW......what OS X x86 Install distribution version are you using....?

Yes I am 100000% certain this is the Prescott SSE3 CPU. I am using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD 3GB version. And yes 10000% sure this is an ATA 100 PATA drive for both the HD and DVD Pioneer drive.

I tried to use the Pause/Break key and the -x -v to see everything, but I could never get it to pause on the last lines before it goes blank and reboots. It is just too too fast scrolling the hundreds of lines.

Yes I am 100000% certain this is the Prescott SSE3 CPU. I am using the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD 3GB version. And yes 10000% sure this is an ATA 100 PATA drive for both the HD and DVD Pioneer drive.

I tried to use the Pause/Break key and the -x -v to see everything, but I could never get it to pause on the last lines before it goes blank and reboots. It is just too too fast scrolling the hundreds of lines.

Try installing Kalyway 10.5.2 with OS X install volume partitioned as MBR and formatted Mac OS HFS+

Kernels

Kernel_9.2_sleep

Graphics Drivers included-

No graphics driver selected at this stage

Audio_Drivers-

No audio driver selected at this stage

Networks_Drivers-

No network driver selected at this stage

Motherboard_Chipsets (Support for ATI ; Nvidia ; Intel ; Via ; SiS ; Marvell ; JMicron)-

Select all

AppleNForceATA

AppleOnboardPCATA

AppleVIAATA

AppleGenericPCATA

SiliconImage3132

Thirds_Applications (will be installed in /applications/KOOLSOFTS/)-

Your choice

Patches included-

Accept default selection for SMBIOS

Other Patches-

No selection here

An hour later....

And I screwed it all up...

Tried to run that GeforceGo installer for Tiger. Some people said they had luck with it on Leopard.

Not I...

Now I have a totally BLANK SCREEN and have NO CLUE what to do next to recover or change it...

Anyone ?

LOL

Glad I have helped you install Kalyway 10.5.2 successfully...... :D

Step 0. If you have the name of the kext, i.e. <name>.kext, that you installed using the GeforceGo installer for Tiger, then

(1) Remove <name>.kext from your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

(2) Repair the file permissions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel <name>.kext; sudo chmod -R 755 <name>.kext

(3) Remove the cached and packed extensions:

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

(4) Reboot.

BUT if not then go to Step 1......

Step1. After rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext
  rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, resulting in hopefully booting into the OS X Welcome screen and music..... :(

The System Profiler hopefully shows under Graphics/Displays, 1024x768 resolution 32-bit Color depth and 32MB VRAM with Software Driven CI and QE Not Supported, and against Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded.

Step 2. Boot from Kalyway DVD again and in Customize choose only " NATIT_gfnvidia" nothing else, and install as usual......do worry about any "Failed install" type messages if they appear....

If that does not work, repeat Step 1. and then use Kext Helper b7 to install and try both of the Natit kexts here....hopefully one of them may work for you..... :)

If so, then if you want to use Time Machine, you may then wish to repeat Step 2 BUT this time to install the Time Machine Fix option only....I assume USB 2.0 device mounting/unmounting is working for you too?.......anything else not working......?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after taking a couple weeks off and doing other things... I returned to the project only to find that it does not even BOOT. It gets to the apple gray screen and the clock spins and spins and leaving it run overnight it is still spinning. F8 and -x after a forced shut down do not change the non boot status. Drat.

Well, after taking a couple weeks off and doing other things... I returned to the project only to find that it does not even BOOT. It gets to the apple gray screen and the clock spins and spins and leaving it run overnight it is still spinning. F8 and -x after a forced shut down do not change the non boot status. Drat.

that is the same issue I am having now, the gray screen of doom never goes away (though I assume its not usually a bad screen to see).

A forum on that particular problem can be found here, but as I post this we havent figured out the magic fix.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

(sorry for my english :) ) but :

A had "FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure" problem ... So I had SATA HDD and IDE CD/DVD ROM. By default (or cable select) my CD/DVD worked in SLAVE mode. I just switched jumper to force MASTER mode. That was the solution for me) .... such simple!!!

maybe it may be usefull for anyone :)

• 8 months later...
I get the same thing but it doesn't cause a hang in the install or boot. What it does do, is shut down PnP so I have to have the firewire plugged in before boot up. Then the firewire drive is mounted and accessible. If I eject it, it won't recognize the firewire unless I reboot. Same for USB for me.

I'm having the same problem and more with this message Still waiting for root device? Use Sata HD installer is Iaklos what should I do?

pesquisar

• 1 month later...

I figure I'd post here instead of making a whole new thread.

Alright, so I've attempted to install iAtkos v7 on my Sony Vaio N250E and after the installation, I get this issue. So I attempt booting in -s mode, and it stops with firewire unable to determine security-mode defaulting to full-secure. It just stops there and doesnt let me type anything at all, even after waiting for an hour, which makes single mode pretty much useless!

I've tried re-installing, but I get the same issue. The different boot methods didnt work and all of the threads ive seen for this issue rely on single mode, but that doesn't work for me.

Although I formatted the drive and installed windows 7, I'd like to get leopard running.

So I was wondering if one of you guys could help get this working? :)

(should I just try kalyway?)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
What install are you using? Kalway? iATKOS? which one?

I know that with iATKOS.r3, on my system, I had to have an IDE HDD AND an IDE DVD in order to get past "still waiting for root device".

Once I got to the install screen, I installed to the SATA drives and then I shutdown and removed the IDE devices. It booted just fine into OSX5.1 after that. I didn't have to install to the IDE devices, I just had to have them connected to install. I did boot the install disc from the IDE DVD.

Hi there can you tell me why i could install ipc osx86 from the dvd onto my SATA HDD but now im getting "still waiting for root device" .. ;)