"ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure

AJR08

44 posts in this topic

I have pentium 4 HP Media centre running windows vista ultimate.

Every time i try to install OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) i get this message, ive searched and searched and have not found a reasonable awnser yet. So I hope someone can shed some light on this problem for me please?

Thanks

I get the same thing but it doesn't cause a hang in the install or boot. What it does do, is shut down PnP so I have to have the firewire plugged in before boot up. Then the firewire drive is mounted and accessible. If I eject it, it won't recognize the firewire unless I reboot. Same for USB for me.

What install are you using? Kalway? iATKOS? which one?

I know that with iATKOS.r3, on my system, I had to have an IDE HDD AND an IDE DVD in order to get past "still waiting for root device".

Once I got to the install screen, I installed to the SATA drives and then I shutdown and removed the IDE devices. It booted just fine into OSX5.1 after that. I didn't have to install to the IDE devices, I just had to have them connected to install. I did boot the install disc from the IDE DVD.

What install are you using? Kalway? iATKOS? which one?

I know that with iATKOS.r3, on my system, I had to have an IDE HDD AND an IDE DVD in order to get past "still waiting for root device".

Once I got to the install screen, I installed to the SATA drives and then I shutdown and removed the IDE devices. It booted just fine into OSX5.1 after that. I didn't have to install to the IDE devices, I just had to have them connected to install. I did boot the install disc from the IDE DVD.

I am trying to install the kalyway version. can you explain maybe what i need to do to get this working?

You might try doing the same thing. It might work because it sounds like the installer is not recognizing the SATA drive (you are using SATA I assume as you don't mention what your system specs are), which could be an incompatibility with the SATA controller (no driver for yours pre-install).

You should put your system specs in your signature at the bottom. It really helps get more accurate answers to issues. I just copied and pasted someone else's and put my info into it.

You might try doing the same thing. It might work because it sounds like the installer is not recognizing the SATA drive (you are using SATA I assume as you don't mention what your system specs are), which could be an incompatibility with the SATA controller (no driver for yours pre-install).

You should put your system specs in your signature at the bottom. It really helps get more accurate answers to issues. I just copied and pasted someone else's and put my info into it.

I justchecked my pc and im sure its IDE. ???

i have 1.5gb of ram

2.93ghz P4

140gb HD

Error is not related to firewire. As you also stated, you are getting a waiting for root device message which is the kernel looking for the mass storage drivers to start the DVD drive.

but how do i get around this problem???

I have same EXACT problem, yet nobody answers my posts!

I am using a Toshiba Satellite A75

Intel Pentium 4 SSE3 Processor

448MB RAM

ATi 64MB Mobility Radeon IGP

more specs here

All i need is a simple step by step guide as to how to do this. I've been trying to do this all day im still trying now. please someone help or be blunt enough to say it wont work anything please.????

I've just looked at my CD drive and the IDE cable says master

Yeah, I need a guide too, my Windows was malfunctioning so I am currently reinstalling XP Home SP1. Because I dont have the recovery discs for it I am using my COmpaq ones, so I have to figure out how to get all of the drivers and everything back on it. So once I do that, if it doesnt die on me, it dies alot with a bad power jack, doesnt charge while it is on. I would MUCH rather have OS X Leopard. I just have to get past the root device thing. I have read that you may need to set the Hard Drive as Primary Master and the DVD Drive as Primary Slave, I am not sure how to do this though. I do not even know if mine is IDE or SATA yet.

Yeah, I need a guide too, my Windows was malfunctioning so I am currently reinstalling XP Home SP1. Because I dont have the recovery discs for it I am using my COmpaq ones, so I have to figure out how to get all of the drivers and everything back on it. So once I do that, if it doesnt die on me, it dies alot with a bad power jack, doesnt charge while it is on. I would MUCH rather have OS X Leopard. I just have to get past the root device thing. I have read that you may need to set the Hard Drive as Primary Master and the DVD Drive as Primary Slave, I am not sure how to do this though. I do not even know if mine is IDE or SATA yet.

Please can someone help?

• 2 weeks later...
I have pentium 4 HP Media centre running windows vista ultimate.

Every time i try to install OSx86 10.5 (Leopard) i get this message, ive searched and searched and have not found a reasonable awnser yet. So I hope someone can shed some light on this problem for me please?

Thanks

The problem is not solved, but see my post.

I get the same thing but it doesn't cause a hang in the install or boot. What it does do, is shut down PnP so I have to have the firewire plugged in before boot up. Then the firewire drive is mounted and accessible. If I eject it, it won't recognize the firewire unless I reboot. Same for USB for me.

I posted a solution for the USB issues. So far it works perfect.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789

Right now I do not have time, but I am going to give my second try to Firewire not getting picked up. (although i resolved this error problem by replacing the firewire kext with older one from Tiger; search the forum for the older firewire kext; if i am not wrong, it is 10.4.9 firewire kext). it does show up on system profiler although with very little info. however, firewire drives do not mount.

• 5 months later...
I fixed my Install hang using -x Safemode. Still running set up, so I am unsure if that totally fixes it or if it will hang later...

I have found that I have no Firewire problems provided that

1) the kernel version and system.kext version match.....check the kernel version using

uname -a

in Terminal and your system.kext version via System/Library/Extenstions/System.kext and Show Pacakge Contents in Info.plist under CFBundleVersion?....they should match......my version is 9.2.0......for both USB and Firewire to work properly,

2) furthermore, for Firewire device mounting/unmounting on plugin/plugout and for large file transfers I find that booting OS X with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" is necessary for an "unbroken" connection during file transfer.

No dice....

= (

Hung with install about 1/3 through... just a spinning beach ball and no dvd drive activity.

I have found that I have no Firewire problems provided that

1) the kernel version and system.kext version match.....check the kernel version using

uname -a

in Terminal and your system.kext version via System/Library/Extenstions/System.kext and Show Pacakge Contents in Info.plist under CFBundleVersion?....they should match......my version is 9.2.0......for both USB and Firewire to work properly,

2) furthermore, for Firewire device mounting/unmounting on plugin/plugout and for large file transfers I find that booting OS X with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" is necessary for an "unbroken" connection during file transfer.

Thanks... but that's a little over my head. LOL

I am a monkey see, monkey do type.

No dice....

= (

Hung with install about 1/3 through... just a spinning beach ball and no dvd drive activity.

Thanks... but that's a little over my head. LOL

I am a monkey see, monkey do type.

What is your CPU and how much RAM has your motherboard got fitted? I can guide you more slowly once I know..... :(

Hey Great. Thanks.

Here is where I am and what I got.

I installed. So, now it is in boot loop. Gets to grey window with apple logo, and POOF reboots to the bios window, gets to the grey apple, and repeats.

Acer 1712SMi P4 Prescott HT 3.2ghz 1GB ram, Geforce 128, 750GB HD. This is a desktop replacement in an 18Lbs laptop form factor. 17" 12x10 screen.

Thanks.

PS: I had to change to the vanilla kernel to install and even safemode wont boot past the loop, though I did use safe mode and vanilla to install.

PAX

Hey Great. Thanks.

Here is where I am and what I got.

I installed. So, now it is in boot loop. Gets to grey window with apple logo, and POOF reboots to the bios window, gets to the grey apple, and repeats.

Acer 1712SMi P4 Prescott HT 3.2ghz 1GB ram, Geforce 128, 750GB HD. This is a desktop replacement in an 18Lbs laptop form factor. 17" 12x10 screen.

Thanks.

PS: I had to change to the vanilla kernel to install and even safemode wont boot past the loop, though I did use safe mode and vanilla to install.

PAX

At the "boot:" prompt type -v so you can see what the last messages before the freeze are.........