Best linux server distro for old computer

~pcwiz

26 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an old AMD K6 450MHz computer (CD-ROM, CD-RW, 8GB HD, 162MB RAM, 8MB Integrated Video, Dial Up Modem and Ethernet) that I want to convert into a server. Basically what this server should be able to do:

FTP, Web Hosting, Torrent Downloading, File Sharing and Storage across the network

Another thing is that I have to be able to control the computer remotely from my other computer over the network, because after it is finished setting up, I want to run it with no monitor mouse and keyboard. Does anyone know a distro that matches my needs.

Oh yeah and it can't be big either. It only has an 8GB HD :P I was leaning towards FreeNAS which has everything I need except for the torrent client ;) Any suggestions?

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways...

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2

Now I know you were probably wanting to go Linux and open source with a few objectives in mind.

Keeping the system as lightweight as possible. I really don't know how light weight a traditional Linux server operating system is, but the Windows Server 2003 only uses about 3GB on a full install and has all the tools you need to hit the ground running (FTP server, Web server, etc.).

Having a system run on older hardware. Linux systems are great in this sense, but the hardware requirements of Windows Server 2003 are quite low in my opinion. I think the amount of Ram you have available may be iffy, but I am sure you can get a hold of an old 128MB stick of SDRAM from somewhere.

Then of course, not having to spend money on an OS and applications. Well the greatest part of all about Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 is that Microsoft is offering it for free to college students (in the U.S. at least). Therefore, if you are a college student or know someone who is a college student and is willing to get it for you, it would be a great way to get a hold of some a great operating system that retails for $999.99 USD for absolutely free.

Here is a link to my previous Reader News post of the Dreamspark program: Dreamspark

Otherwise, if you still want to go linux. I really don't see how the run of the mill Ubuntu Server will hurt. If I was in your situation, I personally would try out a few different distributions and see which I like best.

No matter what, good luck and try to have fun...

keep on macKIN'

Cody

P.S. Can't wait to try your kernel installer. Hope it works... ;)

I'd look around at the really small and lightweight ones:

Damn Small Linux

Puppy Linux

Vector linux (might be the best for what you need).

I was looking at all these aternatives myself. Just took my P4 3.2 Ghz Prescott down to a 1.8Ghz Northwood to lessen heat etc but I still run Suse 10.3, now with Xfce desktop. It's headless via vnc and performs surprisingly well as a fileserver..

It really depends what you need. My criteria were:

1. Vnc for remote administration.

2. torrent/newzbin software.

3. LVM2 for disk management.

4. Samba for filesharing.

5. Backup to LTO SCSI Tape.

but I can easily add ftp, telnet, webserver, mail server etc etc...

If you can find something on distrowatch that handles everything you want in the lightest configuration then that is what you'll need :P

Just about any distro will satisfy your criteria. So you just need fast and light and though I've never used vector I believe that is what it aims for.

It also depends on how much time you want to spend configuring it but at least with Linux it's configure once, use forever... ;)

Cheers,

Arkay.

If you've got some time to burn, and if you are comfortable in a shell, I would highly recommend Gentoo... Which is my personal favorite for custom, super light weight installs.

Compile a bare bones system (no X11) with:

FTPD

Apache (MySQL, PHP if you desire)

SSHD

Samba

rTorrent

Everything you need, nothing you don't! ;)

If you just want to "set it, and forget it" or if you insist on a GUI, I would recommend Xubuntu.

I would say debian too. Their stable packages get lots of testing before being released and thats important on a server.

non-Linux, but also interesting: FreeBSD (has served me very well since a decade)

At all, you probably won't notice a performance difference with any distro, unless you're serving hundreds of clients...

Gonna use it for torrent downloading with only 8GB HD, ok.

Check out Clarkconnect. Simple to install and setup and I've run it on close to same level hardware with good results.

P.S. Even though I was a big fan of Gentoo, for quickly setting up a firewall or server with no hassles I chose CC.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone but like I said:

- It can't be big, maybe 1GB max when installed

- It must be remotely controllable from another computer

Does any of those distros fit that?

Thanks again :)

- It can't be big, maybe 1GB max when installed

- It must be remotely controllable from another computer

Minimum install with allmost every distro should do it (probably without xwindow).

sshd also ships with most distros. If you want a remote GUI, you need the xserver, which takes some space.

OK chris2k,

Thanks! Could you point me to an easy install guide for Xserver? What distro would you recommend? Is Gentoo OK?

I was going to go with a FreeBSD based disro, FreeNAS earlier, it has a WebGUI and everything but the features are kind of limited. If I can find anything better I'll go for it, but otherwise FreeNAS seems like a stellar choice seeing as setting up takes no more than 10 minutes :)

Just to clarify, xserver = xwindow system....

It comes with most distros, the installer will give you the option. For gentoo you will probably have to compile it and that can take some time on an old system.

I neither tried gentoo or FreeNAS so I can't tell you which is better for you. Give it a try :)

Thanks :) I think I'll go with Gentoo, seing as there is a "minimal" option. How would you remote control it from another computer?

Pretty much all distros install the same software and all can only install a minimal amount.

They all can use ssh or Webmin for remote access.

I mentioned CC because it also has its own web based remote interface which is easier than webmin.

(I have friends that use SME also)

I think I'll go with CC then. What edition would you recommend, Enterprise, Office, or Community?

EDIT: I guess the choice has been made up for me already, Community is the only free version so I guess I'll go with that :D

Well, I put in the CC disc, start it up, it loads for a few minutes then BAM kernel panic. I ended up installing FreeNAS, no torrent downloading (;)) But I guess Headrush's logic makes sense, torrent downloading with an 8GB HD doesn't work out. Anyway, still setting it up...can't find an extra Ethernet cable to connect it to the network :P

I used an old crossover cable that I had, hooked it up to the network, and in 2 seconds it was connected and functional. Then just the basic setup matters through the WebGUI (Hard Disks, Mount Points, CIFS for access from Windows machines) and bam, no mouse, keyboard, and monitor and a fully functional server aside from the torrent client j/k -_-

Well it has a GUI, a web GUI that is that you control from another computer. The real server just has a command line, but using the WebGUI I can upload files/packages and run commands. Its an OS based on a stripped down version of FreeBSD. Are there any torrent clients available?

Thanks!

I hit a gold mine:

How to install CTorrent on FreeNAS

http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=226

EDIT: SWEET...I installed CTorrent and it works great! Plus, I have SSH root access to the machine with an SSH client :D

EDIT2: You can even install your own FreeBSD packages:

http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=264

I'm loving FreeNAS more and more by the minute :)

Sorry for not replying back sdracer but I did read your post. The biggest problem is that I'm not in university or college (yet) so I can't get it, and the other thing is that I want it clean and simple, no GUI command line only works good for me. I did consider Ubuntu server but for the sake of simplicity, I didn't install it ;)

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways...

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2

Now I know you were probably wanting to go Linux and open source with a few objectives in mind.

Keeping the system as lightweight as possible. I really don't know how light weight a traditional Linux server operating system is, but the Windows Server 2003 only uses about 3GB on a full install and has all the tools you need to hit the ground running (FTP server, Web server, etc.).

Having a system run on older hardware. Linux systems are great in this sense, but the hardware requirements of Windows Server 2003 are quite low in my opinion. I think the amount of Ram you have available may be iffy, but I am sure you can get a hold of an old 128MB stick of SDRAM from somewhere.

Then of course, not having to spend money on an OS and applications. Well the greatest part of all about Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition R2 is that Microsoft is offering it for free to college students (in the U.S. at least). Therefore, if you are a college student or know someone who is a college student and is willing to get it for you, it would be a great way to get a hold of some a great operating system that retails for $999.99 USD for absolutely free.

Here is a link to my previous Reader News post of the Dreamspark program: Dreamspark

Otherwise, if you still want to go linux. I really don't see how the run of the mill Ubuntu Server will hurt. If I was in your situation, I personally would try out a few different distributions and see which I like best.

No matter what, good luck and try to have fun...

keep on macKIN'

Cody

P.S. Can't wait to try your kernel installer. Hope it works... :)