A List of external sounds that work

djkdawg

21 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
i will buy a usb or pci card, but i need to know what models work with leopard ???

Same here. Except my server only has once USB1.1 port, so I need PCI. Only ones I've heard of working without a hitch so far have been RME Hammerfall cards. Nice quality but more than I was going to spend.

USB 5.1 working in OS X:

• Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit External (SB0490) - 4 stars, 97 User
  • Zalman ZM-RSSC External USB 5.1 Sound Card
  • CN-126 USB to Audio 5.1 Adapter
  • SWEEX External Sound Card 5.1 with Digital InOut USB 2.0 (SC004)
  • Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro 5.1 USB
  • Digitus 5.1 USB (DA-70770)

USB 5.1 only output working:

• Hercules USB 5.1 / Muse Pocket LT (same product - output working)
  • Terratec Aureon 5.1 (working sound out only with CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext)

Firewire 5.1 working in OS X:

• Focusrite Saffire LE
  • Griffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macs

USB 7.1 working in OS X:

--------------------- how2: --------------------------

You can get 5.1/ 7.1 using audio-midi setup:

1. select your sound card in "Properties for:"

2. in the Output Format drop down box there are frequencies from 2-7.1 setup. Select what you want, e.g 5.1

3. select "configure speaker". The default is stereo, change to multichannel, then select in the drop down 5.1 or 7.1, depending on what you selected in the previous step.

SoundBlaster.USB.Audio.Support.pkg.zip

• 2 months later...

@BugsBunny

great list! thanks! :dev:

Does anyone know which ones of those soundcards don't need powered speakers? Because the Griffin FireWave for example outputs only low-voltage, that means if I were to hook up normal (unpowered) speakers directly I wouldn't hear a thing, right?

Just got my Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB from Amazon. Plugged it in and it came right up and works great. The biggest problem that I have is I cannot control the volume. OSX says "The selected device has no output controls". So the volume is basically "stuck" all way up. I can change the volume from apps that have their own controls like iTunes though. Would be nice to find a way to control the master volume though.

• 1 month later...
Just got my Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB from Amazon. Plugged it in and it came right up and works great. The biggest problem that I have is I cannot control the volume. OSX says "The selected device has no output controls". So the volume is basically "stuck" all way up. I can change the volume from apps that have their own controls like iTunes though. Would be nice to find a way to control the master volume though.

Can I know do you need to install any driver for the Creative X-Fi 5.1 USB to work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have this Hercules Muse Pocket LT USB card, and it works great, no extra drivers/patching, full support, also both inputs (mic and linein) work, so really it should be in the category USB 5.1 working in OS X:

There is only one problem: you cannot selectively mute mic sound in front output (and pay attention I mean mic output, not mic recording levels set in sound/audio midi setup -- I mean the "Thru" checkbox in AUDIO/Midi does not work for this card). Of course you can just unplug the mic and that's it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just wondering if the full 5.1 channels worked straight of out the box or if it's just 2 channel stereo (as seen with other 5.1 usb sound cards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

DO NOT MISGUIDE PEOPLE, IT'S NOT WORKING EXCEPT LEFT AND RIGHT SPEAKERS.

HAVE YOU GOT PROBLEMS ABOUT YOUR EARS ?

• 2 months later...
DO NOT MISGUIDE PEOPLE, IT'S NOT WORKING EXCEPT LEFT AND RIGHT SPEAKERS.

HAVE YOU GOT PROBLEMS ABOUT YOUR EARS ?

Does it really doesn't work all the channels???... i don't care about the volume control.. the only decent and affordable 5.1 card i find it's this one (the firewave is discontinued... :'( ) i saw other guy who made it work on Snow Leopard so i'm really confused..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=834682

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi pro and in MIDI setup all speakers works (in test). But when I play music via iTunes, only center and fronts works. Anyone know solution? I would appreciate that! .)

I have hackintosh Lion on 10.7.3--

I installed you attached file - SoundBlaster.USB.Audio.Support.pkg.zip but no sound now, MIDI SETUP crashes every time. I guess this will not work for my LION.

USB 5.1 working in OS X:

• Soundblaster Live! 24-Bit External (SB0490) - 4 stars, 97 User
  • Zalman ZM-RSSC External USB 5.1 Sound Card
  • CN-126 USB to Audio 5.1 Adapter
  • SWEEX External Sound Card 5.1 with Digital InOut USB 2.0 (SC004)
  • Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro 5.1 USB
  • Digitus 5.1 USB (DA-70770)

• Terratec Aureon 5.1 (working sound out only with CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext)

Firewire 5.1 working in OS X:

• Focusrite Saffire LE
  • Griffin 4019-FIRESS FireWave Surround Sound for Macs

USB 7.1 working in OS X:

--------------------- how2: --------------------------

You can get 5.1/ 7.1 using audio-midi setup:

1. select your sound card in "Properties for:"

2. in the Output Format drop down box there are frequencies from 2-7.1 setup. Select what you want, e.g 5.1

3. select "configure speaker". The default is stereo, change to multichannel, then select in the drop down 5.1 or 7.1, depending on what you selected in the previous step.

What the hell.:// This made my sound screwed. No input/ouput devices. And MIDI Audio Setup won't run.:/