Alu keyboard not working on boot

kae

24 posts in this topic

I bought the new aluminum keyboard from Apple, but it doesn't work on boot. After searching around I found that many Mac mini's have the same problem. Anyone got this working on boot ?

Kae.

Mine works wonderfully... Try enabling the "USB Keyboard" option in BIOS.

I don't have that option in BIOS (badaxe2), but I have USB legacy enabled. I just updated the BIOS since the releasenotes says "Fixed issue where certain keyboard does not work with USB Legacy support", but still no luck :D

• 4 weeks later...

My Aluminum Apple keyboard works, except for the F keys. So I cant boot into bios with it. It works fine once OSX has booted though. Annoyiong. I dont dont want to have to keep another keyboard around just to adjust BIOS settings. And it;s such a nice keyboard. Searching for solution. Legacy USB on with Badaxe2 Mobo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this problem is not restricted to this specific keyboard.

on some motherboards a usb keyboards wont work at bootup.

in most cases enabling usb legacy and similiar in the bios solves this.

but sometimes one needs a ps2 keyboard first to access the bios though. :angel:

• 2 months later...

well, i had the old apple keyboard usb connected which worked very good. Now i bought the wired apple alu keyboard and i can not access the bios because of the non functional keyboard. It doesn´t work at all until a os is loaded (vista or leopard). In Leopard are all keys functional!

I have a badaxe2 mainboard and i made the firmwareupdate of the keyboard with my macbook...still no sucess..tryed all usb ports...nothing...

anybody an idea? I didn´t try a ps2 adapter...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the SAME problem! My brand new apple keyboard doesn't work with the bios or windows bootloader, which means I can't get into my OSx86 installation. My Intel BIOS on the DG33FB mobo doesn't have options for "Integrated Peripherals" to enable USB keyboard support, but I did enable the option for Legacy USB support.

Does anyone have answers?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys , and what about Alu Apple keyboard in other Os (Xp, Linux) ?! :angry:

Can I return this KBoard back to the futureshop ? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my aly keyboard. When I have legacy enabled in the BIOS I can choose an OS but it won't work in Leopard. With legacy disabled I can't choose an OS in the BIOS ( It selects the default after 5 sec.) but it works in Leopard.

I already tried the usb fix for matching the kernel version and the system.kext version (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789). This helped for the mounting of USB-devices during a session. But it didn't fix the keyboard problem.

The solution posted above about increasing the usb-speed isn't possible on my motherboard (asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA).

Any other suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Have same problems...

ALU - keyboard does not work when i boot ( no F2 to BIOS or F8 to choose multiboot )

I have tried all settings from BIOS ( Usb Legacy and USB devices boot first...) but only old Logitech keyboard work on boot up in both ways ( USB and PS/2 ).

ALU-keyboard works after OS is booted.

Did anyone get this right, i found many questions, but not that many answers on this ?

It's not the bios settings ( in my case ). I tried also use ALU with PS/2 - adapter, no luck there...

Kari

Intel Core2 Quad (Q6600) and DG33FB. Newest BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have exactly the SAME problem! My brand new apple keyboard doesn't work with the bios or windows bootloader, which means I can't get into my OSx86 installation. My Intel BIOS on the DG33FB mobo doesn't have options for "Integrated Peripherals" to enable USB keyboard support, but I did enable the option for Legacy USB support.

Does anyone have answers?

Hi,

I have the same keyboard and motherboard (dg33fbc) and am facing the same issue. I have the latest BIOS update in place but still it doesn't work. i even followed up the issue with intel but no results.

I think getting a keyboard firmware update might help but i can't seem to find anyone with a mac to do it for me. 

If you find a solution then please inform me, I'd be really thankful.

thanks and regards,

akshat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

just spent one hour on the phone with the Apple support.

It appears that BootCamp for Tiger is a beta with an expiry date and thus new keyboards from Apple don't support Alt at boot. If you want to access your other bootable partitions at boot with new Apple keyboards, you're forced to upgrade to Leopard and hence get the new bootcamp: it's wanted to force upgrades. We live in a money world...

++

• 8 months later...

hi all,

been having the same problem. what's odd is that when i boot into OSX first, then restart, the keyboard doesn't work for bios/chameleon. however, when i load into windows first, then restart, they keyboard works for bios/chameleon. then, when i go into osx again and restart, same non-working keyboard. im thinking there must be something that windows does that let's the mobo/bios recognize the keyboard on subsequent startups. anyone have any ideas how to get that to work w/ osx?

thanks.

• 6 months later...

anyone had any luck with this? I have built 2 hackintosh's, the one with Intel DG35EC board doesnt support the alu keyboard during boot, and the ASUS p5p43td pro does support it, seems intel boards just cannot run it

• 5 months later...