Quad Booting Help Needed!

23 posts in this topic

My Comp Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5B-VM(G965 Chipset)

Processor: C2D E4400(2 GHZ OCed to 2.2 GHZ, SSE2 & SSE3 both compatible)

GPU: nVidia Geforce XFX 8500GT 256 MB DDR2 OCed to 670/530 MHZ

HDD: Samsung 80 GB IDE, Seagate 250 GB SATA

RAM: Kingston 1 GB DDR2 667 MHZ

ROM: Sony DVD Writer 16X

i am new to this OSX86...i want to quad boot XP Pro/Vista Ultimate/Kalyway 10.5.1/Ubuntu 7.10(ALL 32 BIT VER.)...

currently i am downloading Kalyway(3.51GB) from piratebay & i am having d CD/DVD of rest of the OS..

i want to request you to help me in quad booting which should include d proper installation steps of Kalyway & Ubuntu(i have never installed them), the order in which i should install them and the OS selector which i should use i.e. normal windows OS selctor, GRUB or advanced OS selector like Acronis...

thanx..please do help me.. :P

means the order of the installation should be

xp

vista

mac

ubuntu

???

but i have a little problem..

it is written that

first i have to download boot_v8 then copy it to /boot inside linux...then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst....i have unserstood till here...

but i m unable to get what is written after that

"title Mac OSX Leopard

root (hd?,?) (replace with same values grub uses for Linux partition, not ones for OSX partition)

kernel /boot/boot_v8

boot

[EDIT -- for FreeBSD, the root line would be root(hd?,?,a) -- the a refers to the first (boot) slice in the FreeBSD partition]

If OS X resides on a different HDD than Linux, you will have to enter a hex code for the appropriate drive during the boot process.

80 -- 1st HDD

81 -- 2nd HDD

82 -- 3rd HDD

Alternately, so you don't have to enter code during boot process, make a tiny ext3 partition on the OS X HDD

copy boot_v8 there in a directory /boot

and replace (hd?,?) with the values of that partition"

see i am having 6 partitions..

C:----27.9 GB

D:----61.7 GB

E:----27.9 GB

F:----18.6 GB

G:----73.2 GB

H:----86.3 GB

C:,E: and F: is my 80 GB IDE HDD

D:,G: and H: is my 250 GB SATA HDD

i have planned to install XP on C:, Vista on D:, Ubuntu on F:, Mac on E: and i will split E: into 2(27.5 GB and the rest which will be used as swap partition)

so that implies that i should edit like this:

"title Mac OSX Leopard

root (hd0,3)

kernel /boot/boot_v8

boot"

please tell me is this only what i have to do..

n yeah i have to also write "title" before Mac OSX Leopard????

Alternately, so you don't have to enter code during boot process, make a tiny ext3 partition on the OS X HDD

copy boot_v8 there in a directory /boot

and replace (hd?,?) with the values of that partition

this thing i have to do only if i dont do the above portion and if install mac on another HDD as compared to Ubuntu???

i am having both ubuntu 7.10(alternate & live cd)..if i will install it without GRUB then which bootloader it will use & how will i able to boot all the 4 OS??i think i should use GRUB only because i have got to understand a little bit...if i will use another method then i will get confused...you just only tell me the installation steps for installing Kalyway & Ubuntu..i will use GRUB only..

Alternately, so you don't have to enter code during boot process, make a tiny ext3 partition on the OS X HDDcopy boot_v8 there in a directory /bootand replace (hd?,?) with the values of that partitionthis thing i have to do only if i dont do the above portion and if install mac on another HDD as compared to Ubuntu???
You are installing on same drive, so don't worry about this.
but i have a little problem..

Once you install grub and edit menu.lst, you will see the entries Linux installs by default and the above will make sense to you.

Grub is Much easier than Vista Bootloader for quad boot -- despite what the other posts on this topic claim.

If you partition as you describe, it doesn't matter what order you install, except installing XP after Vista is difficult. If you install OS X before Linux, that works, just that you won't be able to actually boot it until you install Linux and grub and edit menu.lst

And if you've never installed Linux, try SUSE instead of Ubuntu -- its very easy to install now. www.opensuse.org

Once you install grub and edit menu.lst, you will see the entries Linux installs by default and the above will make sense to you.

means it will help me in writing the values in hd?,?(please do tell me clearly about it...)

n yeah you are saying that if you havnt installed ubuntu yet then dont install it...

i will get to know how to install it only after i will try it once..so i should try this...

so please give me the steps for installing ubuntu only...i will install ubuntu only..

i read the installation steps given by thespottedelf but i m confused at this steps...

"In the partitioning options, choose MBR or GUID (there are EFI bootloader options for

both in the Installation Options screen)."

plz suggest me what to do here..(MBR, GUID or EFI)

means it will help me in writing the values in hd?,?(please do tell me clearly about it...)

n yeah you are saying that if you havnt installed ubuntu yet then dont install it...

i will get to know how to install it only after i will try it once..so i should try this...

so please give me the steps for installing ubuntu only...i will install ubuntu only..

i read the installation steps given by thespottedelf but i m confused at this steps...

"In the partitioning options, choose MBR or GUID (there are EFI bootloader options for

both in the Installation Options screen)."

plz suggest me what to do here..(MBR, GUID or EFI)

Use MBR

In menu.lst replace hd(?,?) with EXACTLY the same values for the Linux entry in menu.lst

(I can't get any clearer than that)

The AppleHDApatcher file is for fixing your sound after you get OS working. Worry about it later. Read Taruga's thread in XLabs section when you are ready.

The other file I never used.

okkk...thanx...

but one more thing is left...

To know the steps of installing Ubuntu 7.10 i read it here..http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-7-10-68645.shtml

i am having a doubt at one step here also...when the last steps comes(Ready To Install)...there is a option Advanced...so should i click Advanced to change some settings...because i think i read it somewhere...so just tell me is there any use to click Advanced...or this is for some other purpose...

i read the installation guide again and now again i have a problem...

At The Installation Options Screen

At some point in your installation, you will reach the install options screen. Here is an

overview of what each option in the list does:

Vanilla_Kernel_ACPIPlatform

Vanilla_Kernel – Installs the vanilla kernel from Apple (only for EFI systems)

Vanilla_ACPI_Fix – Reboot fix and PS/2 Support (you must select the Vanilla kernel)

SSE2_System – Patch that you have to install if you are on a SSE2 system

Video_Drivers

NATIT_ATIcards – Natit video drivers for ATI graphics cards

NATIT_gfnvidia – Natit for nVidia GeForce graphics cards

NVINJECT_gfnvidia_desktop – Nvinject for nVidia GeForce Desktop graphics cards

NVINJECT_nvidia_laptop – Nvinject for nVidia GeForce laptop graphics

Soundcards_drivers

Azalia_AD1988b – Install if you have a AD1988b sound on your motherboard

HDA_ALC882 (p5w_dh) – Sound driver for ASUS P5W DH Motherboard

AZALIA_out – Sound output for “Azalia” based audio (general audio driver)

HDA_ALC883 (DS3) – Sound driver for Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 series motherboards

Network_drivers

Realtek_wifi_1.4.5_UI (?) – Install this if you have Realtek WLAN

Bootloaders EFI

BOOT_efi_mbr – Install if you want to install EFI on a MBR partition

BOOT_efi_guid – Install if you want to install EFI on a GUID partition

now tell me which one should i choose form Vanilla_Kernel_ACPIPlatform & Bootloaders EFI..??

I use Darwin for quad boot

in this order:

Mac OS

Vista

XP

Kubuntu

Even more the bootloader of XP gives me a option to boot in DOS, and Grub for kubunto to return to other OSes, vista boots directly, but with Easy BCDEdit i can set up other options too.

Why MBR and not GUID with EFI?

Can somone help me out too? I plan a clean and nice Tri boot on my machine (Vista x64, Retail Leopard DVD with EFI, Linux) , I plan to use EFI with Darwin bootloader... But why MBR and not GUID? It's not possible to have tri/quad boot with GUID?

What are the limitations to GUID? Like for MBR, u can only make 4 primary partitions..Does GUID have that too??

Thx alot!

GUID has not that low limit of partitions, and also there are no "extended" or logical partitions on GUID all of the are, well not primary, partitions.

The thing is thoug that OS that uses MBR can only see 4 partitions at a GUID disk, but unfortunately the first partition in GUID disk is used for MBR emulation so this let you only 3 for booting, if you have 10 partitions most of the bootloaders can see first 4 partitions.

If you have no windows or other type of partitons than Mac the GUID disk does not use the first partition for MBR emulation.

Vista 32 or 64 woork with GUID, also Grub can boot on a GUID disk, some say that XP 64 could work, but my installarions of XP 64 never get propper booting.