Help with Asus EN8600 GT Video Card Install

Joshuaxx

5 posts in this topic

I've been searching for several hours on the forum, as well as Googling, but I still have my original problem. I can't get more than one screen resolution (1024x768) in OSX.

Here's my system:

Homebuilt Core2Duo, E4300 running at 3GHZ on an Asus P5B Plus mobo

Windows and Mac drives are separate

2 GB Corsair RAM

Asus EN8600 GT Silent Video Card

Using onboard sound, network, Firewire (none working right now)

I installed from the Kaly 10.5.1 DVD, without any drivers, but with vanilla kernel. Everything went smoothly, without my having to make any BIOS changes. When I hit F8 at boot, I can boot to the Mac OSX drive or my Windows drive.

Originally, when I checked the nVidia drivers option built into Kaly, the Mac wouldn't boot at all. I tried a couple of other nVidia driver packages (v1.9 of one, since the 2.0 version link was dead), but the system wouldn't boot with it either. I also found an nVidia Universal Install package and installed it. Everything appeared to go well, but when the system rebooted, everything was as before - no change in Display Preference choices - only 1024x768.

I've also been looking out for Networking drivers, and I found the Realtek drivers that should allow me to get connected. I found and used Kext Helper to install that driver, but OSX still doesn't seem to see the Realtek.

Searching for help on these topics always seems to send me to the same threads, none of which has helped solve the basic problem. Perhaps it's just my basic ignorance of the Mac world that's getting in my way, but can someone help or at least point me in the right direction?

I've been searching for several hours on the forum, as well as Googling, but I still have my original problem. I can't get more than one screen resolution (1024x768) in OSX.

Here's my system:

Homebuilt Core2Duo, E4300 running at 3GHZ on an Asus P5B Plus mobo

Windows and Mac drives are separate

2 GB Corsair RAM

Asus EN8600 GT Silent Video Card

Using onboard sound, network, Firewire (none working right now)

I installed from the Kaly 10.5.1 DVD, without any drivers, but with vanilla kernel. Everything went smoothly, without my having to make any BIOS changes. When I hit F8 at boot, I can boot to the Mac OSX drive or my Windows drive.

Originally, when I checked the nVidia drivers option built into Kaly, the Mac wouldn't boot at all. I tried a couple of other nVidia driver packages (v1.9 of one, since the 2.0 version link was dead), but the system wouldn't boot with it either. I also found an nVidia Universal Install package and installed it. Everything appeared to go well, but when the system rebooted, everything was as before - no change in Display Preference choices - only 1024x768.

I've also been looking out for Networking drivers, and I found the Realtek drivers that should allow me to get connected. I found and used Kext Helper to install that driver, but OSX still doesn't seem to see the Realtek.

Searching for help on these topics always seems to send me to the same threads, none of which has helped solve the basic problem. Perhaps it's just my basic ignorance of the Mac world that's getting in my way, but can someone help or at least point me in the right direction?

Maybe my question wasn't clear. What I'm trying to do, basically, is find nVidia graphics drivers that will work with my Hackintosh. I have an Asus EN8600 GT Silent. When I installed the nVidia Universal Install package, everything went fine, but there were no changes in my display options. Is there something I need to do to enable different resolutions?

I also have tried a 8600GT (512mb) and the nvinject causes OS X to go to a black screen, or sometimes a panic 1024x768 screen after a few reboots. I tried .31, .33, different memory options, etc. There must be something about this card that is incompatible.