iPhone SDK seems to ruin OSX86 install

skinrock

29 posts in this topic

The whole point of getting OSX86 running was so I could download the iPhone SDK and play around with that. When the install was finished, I got a new alert I've never seen...it put a transparent black overlay on the screen, with a power button in the background, and said to restart my machine by holding down the power button. Funny thing is, it repeated this message in various languages.

I figured it was just Mac's way of saying to restart after an intense install. So I restarted...now everytime it boots up, I get the same screen. So now I'm guessing something seriously bad happened. I have a feeling it's related to gcc, but it's just a guess.

Is there some kind of known issue, or a patch already that can fix this?

CHUD Tools are:

The Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools (CHUD Tools) are designed to help hardware and software developers measure and optimize the performance of Macintosh systems. They require Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

Normally CHUD tools would not break your OSx86 install, it might have something to do with the fact that you are using AMD. The black overlay screen you get is called a kernel panic.

Cool, thanks for the info. Now I know what a kernel panic is, too. Luckily the SDK doesn't require it...I've already been working on my first app for the past couple hours, getting used to the code. It's very interesting, I'm starting to get a hang of it.

I encountered the same problem, how did you fix the kernel panic? Is there an easy way or did you have to do a reinstall? I'm a complete beginner to all this so any tips or advice would be welcome.

Because it's insanely easy for me to reinstall, I did just that. I assumed my install was done for. Plus I had screwed things up from the night before with trying to fix the boot loading stuff, so I figured good riddance anyways.

For those that are getting the panics, what type of CPU are you using? In another thread, some people are having success, but it may be that they have the Core 2 Duo processors.

P.S. Those of you that haven't, why don't you take a minute to put your hardware specs in your signature? It makes it easier for other to help diagnose problems or see what may be causing the problem if they know what you have.

Hi SkinRock, I have the same problem with CHUD so I reinstalled without CHUD and now works fine, but when I run any app in the simulator I get a blank icon and the app do nothing.

I´m working with a AMD X2 4000, 2 Gb, MSI K9N NEO V3, GeForce8600GT256 and Zephyroth 10.5.2 rev1. The OSX works perfect!.

Any ideas???

• 4 months later...

I’m just curious how people were able to install the SDK. When I run the package the iphone SDK is grayed out. A message appears saying that the SDK can only be installed on 10.5 with Intel processors. The funning thing is, is that I'm running 10.5.2 on a Intel Centrino duo processor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, Centrino is a chipset. Are you using a Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Pentium M?

• 1 month later...

Mmm, it seems that with the latest installer, you can't select / deselect CHUD :/

I had the same kernel panic, but as stated above I was able to fix it by deleting the CHUD kext files.

However, the iPhone SDK wasn't installed, so I'll have to find a way to fix this one... :(

EDIT:

Well, that was easy to fix.

If anyone is interested:

In the packages folder of the iphone sdk file delete the CHUD package.

Then show the contents of the "iPhone SDK" installation file. (right click -> show contents)

Browse to Contents and then open "iPhoneSDK.dist".

In this file search for CHUD and delete all the lines that contain CHUD.

After doing this the installation never tried to install the CHUD package.

Have fun coding :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After buying my iPhone 3G i've been hours reading this forum looking for a stable way to run Leopard 10.5.4 on vmware so i could install the iPhone SDK. I've gone through several problems, but finally managed to get Leopard 10.5.5 running on vmware workstation 6.5 and installed iPhone SDK 2.1 with no problems..

It would be cool... but when I try to run Xcode, i get the error message "the application Xcode quit unexpectedly"

So I can do whatever i want with my new Leopard, except from developing, which is the only thing i wanted...

Any suggestions?

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 9400 Labtop

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance!

(Just tell me if i should open a diferent thread)

Something more about the iPhone SDK

- Dashcode -> Working

- Instruments -> Working

- Interface Builder -> Working

- Quartz composer -> I don't have the right graphics card

- Xcode -> "Application quit unexpectedly"

Could the Xcode error be caused by the graphics card too?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...