10.4.4 install success

Mugz

96 posts in this topic

I suppose its not possible (yet) to install OSX10.4.4 directly, without an existing 10.4.3 install?

I actually have an Intel iMac and therefor the necessary discs and I would like to have it running on my amd machine too but it hasn't got a 10.4.3 install...

In order to get your "Install Error... try again" problem fixed, Instead of copying Packages in your desktop ^_^ do what Maxxuss writes in bold letters.. copy it into a TOP-LEVEL of a partition (it can be your current 10.4.3 partition) as long as its TOP-LEVEL

Then run your stuff and it should work

Jim

Can someone give me in "stupid" terms what TOP-LEVEL means. I have 10.4.3 installed great on my Acer Core Duo setup and am trying to get 10.4.4 running but I am getting the "There was an error Installing the software" Please try Installing again.

Here is what I did:

I copied the "packages" folder from the mounted 10.4.4 disk to the root of the 10.4.3 hard drive by clicking on the hard drive and choosing paste (to paste the Packages folder). So now if I double click on the 10.4.3 hard drive icon there is a packages folder that has the edited files as per the Maxxuss instructions along with the regular OSX folders (applications, Library, Users, System, etc.) So if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong or if TOP-LEVEL means some other place than the root of the hard drive that would help a lot.

I suppose its not possible (yet) to install OSX10.4.4 directly, without an existing 10.4.3 install?

I actually have an Intel iMac and therefor the necessary discs and I would like to have it running on my amd machine too but it hasn't got a 10.4.3 install...

Correct. 10.4.3 is needed to format the drive and install. However, once the installation is done, you can kill the install of 10.4.3 as it is no longer needed. This will probably be the best we can get until someone creates an image of their 10.4.4 install.

Personally, I have 10.4.3 on another drive, and I'm keeping that for future upgrades. Unless someone derives some crazy way to replace the way Disk Utility works on 10.4.4 disk, 10.4.3 will always be needed.

@CoreDuoAcer:

top level means the root of your hdd

In windows the root of you drive would be C:\

on a mac you get into the root of your hdd simply by opening the hdd shortcut on your desktop

Correct. 10.4.3 is needed to format the drive and install. However, once the installation is done, you can kill the install of 10.4.3 as it is no longer needed. This will probably be the best we can get until someone creates an image of their 10.4.4 install.

Personally, I have 10.4.3 on another drive, and I'm keeping that for future upgrades. Unless someone derives some crazy way to replace the way Disk Utility works on 10.4.4 disk, 10.4.3 will always be needed.

Damn, thanx for the answer anyways ^_^

Can someone give me in "stupid" terms what TOP-LEVEL means. I have 10.4.3 installed great on my Acer Core Duo setup and am trying to get 10.4.4 running but I am getting the "There was an error Installing the software" Please try Installing again.

You have the packages folder in the correct place. Did you unmount the 10.4.4 restore DVD or forget to change the IFPkgFlagAltSourceLocation key value in BaseSystem.pkg/Contents/Info.plist to "../../../../Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/"? The restore DVD needs to be accessible for the whole installation.

That wont work i think... i had the problem, that directly copying the contents of packages skipped the hidden files and directories (starting with ".").

right now i finally managed to install 10.4.4 on my disk, but when i try to execute fsck for the first post-install 1044-step i get the following:

** /dev/rdisk0s2

** Root file system

** Checking HFS Plus Volume

** Checking Exents Overflow file.

** Checking Catalog file.

** Checking multi-linked files.

Bus error

So I am unable to continue setup from here.. Any ideas??

I copied (AFTER ENTERING 10.4.4) AppleAC97.kext into extensions, but I got no sound and an ERROR MESSAGE telling me that the kest was incorrectly installed!

What I should do then!?

I copied (AFTER ENTERING 10.4.4) AppleAC97.kext into extensions, but I got no sound and an ERROR MESSAGE telling me that the kest was incorrectly installed!

What I should do then!?

You need to refresh your kextcache and repair permissions.

You can refresh your kextcache with the following commands in Terminal:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Once that's done repair your disk permissions by opening up Disk Utility, selecting your 10.4.4 drive, and clicking Repair Disk Permissions.

Now reboot, and your audio should work.

OK I am pulling my hair out with the 10.4.4 install...Someone please help!

Here is my Hardware:

Acer 5672

Intel Core Duo (T2300)

Intel 945PM Chipset

ATI X1400

120GB SATA HDD

2GB RAM

So my notebook is almost identical to the MacBook except the graphics card and the EFI. So I should have full SSE3 and NX/DX support.

Here are the steps I took to get as far as I am right now.

1. Created 2 partitions at the end of my 120GB HDD, one 10GB and one 24GB (I have XP on the first 80GB)

2. Installed OSX 10.4.3 8F1111A that is pre-patched with jas.111a on the 2nd partition (10GB)

3. Patched Mach_Kernal.orig witht the patch-base.ppf only and put that file on my Desktop

3. Formatted the 3rd (24GB) partition namining it "macosx-10.4.4"

4. set partition 3 to boot with the following command: sudo bless -mount /Volumes/macosx-10.4.4 -setBoot

5. copy the "Packages" folder from the mounted 10.4.4 dmg file to the TOP-Level (root) of the 10.4.3 hard drive

6. edit the OsInstall.dist file, mine looks like this:

<script>function hwbeModelCheck() {

return true;

try {

var modelProp = system.......

7. edit the Info.plst file so it looks like this: <string>../../../../Volumes/Mac OS X Install Disc 1/</string>

8. Run the "OSInstall.mpkg" from the copied Packages folder

9 I choose the 10.4.4 partition to install to and I choose "Customize" and I only have Essential System Software and Bundled Software checked

So then it goes through the install and appears to be working great for about 10 minutes, here is a list of everything that I saw, some of it installed too fast for me to write but I tried to write everything up until the point where it fails:

Base System Part 1

Installing Essentials

" BSD Subsystem

Additional something?

Speech

Media Files

Mail

iCal

iTunes

iChat

Java

Safari

Oxford Dictionary

Fonts

CPU (several CPU things)

then I see something like "Regional Boot" or something come up very quickly and then I get the install error that I posted above in this post.

I have tried two different copies of the 10.4.4 disk, I have tried copying the whole disk to my hard drive and mounting it from there but I always get that same error in that same spot no matter what I try.

Now since this could be boot related (because of the error) I must not that I did not copy the patched boot loader files to the /usr/standalone/i386 because my CPU DOES support SSE3. That being said I think I have followed the Maxxuss guide exactly with no luck. If anyone has any insight or suggesstions that would help out a lot.

CoreDuoAcer, when choosing the install customization, you have to remove the additional applications from the install. They're located on the second DVD, which is not accessible for this type of installation. That's most likely why you're getting the error; the installer can't find the second DVD.

CoreDuoAcer, this is assuming you are executing the OSInstall and starts installing but you never get to the end of the installation. Please post the exact installer log (just the errors) when you try to install 10.4.4 on the target drive. The installer log option is at the menu bar.

Full success and it running perfect except my X800XT PCIe but i still have the GMA900 onboard ! ;)

Just had to copy some kext from 10.4.3 to get my Network and Azalia Audio running. :)

I installed it from 10.4.3 with Maxxuss Tutorial.

If anybody has a solution to get my X800 XT working i would be really glad, but I think i still have to switch my onboard GMA 900 on to get reasonable VGA acceleration.

Fell free to contact me if you got a solution for the X800 XT {censored}.

post-8650-1140483478_thumb.jpg

One more thing. For those who bother to read the entire thread, I have consistantly gotten an error writing to a file or folder in the /var directory. This is towards the end of the installation. You may continue the how-to even if you get this error. This happened to me both in vmware install and native 10.4.3 install of 10.4.4.

I dont have a 10.4.3 instalation, i only have 10.4.1. Is possible instal 10.4.4 from this instalation?

I'm stuck in the same boat as you... Go here for more details: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=9350

The furthest us 10.4.1 users have gone, is installing it, and trying to boot into single user mode. The problem is we need 10.4.3 kexts to put into the 10.4.4's extension's folder. So it ends here for us (unless there are other ways round it which I don't know... ;)).

Well everything went well except I can not get the audio to work. It's an Intel HD Audio setup using a Realtek ALC860 chip. I tried just about everything I can think of, short of different hardware. Sound works under 10.4.3 with no problems. I replaced the Azalia Audio and IOAudio kexts under 10.4.4 from 10.4.3. I then refreshed the kextcache and repaired the dish permissions. When I restarted, I get the error that the Azalia Audio was improperly installed. Any ideas?

PS: To verify the installation, I attached a grab from 10.4.4 running with DVD Studio Pro open. It works, but it is extremely slow due to Rosetta.

post-19439-1140480384_thumb.jpg

I finally got everything working, that I know of so far in 10.4.4, Seems like it took forever. You can peep the specs in the sig. I can say that this was one of the hardest installs that I've done, and one tutorial was not enough. It seemed like I had to take bits and pieces, and put the puzzle together myself. :D That's always fun. Can't wait 4 10.4.5 :D:D:D

post-19552-1140482059_thumb.png

I have a broadcom chipset for my wireless card. I had 10.4.4 up and running perfectly. suddently, not i always get a kernel panic for the broadcom kext inside of my IO80211Family.kext I copied from 10.4.3. I just don;t understand since it was working oerfectly, and now it decides not to work, any solutions?

Here is the error i am getting each time:

post-5953-1140485076_thumb.jpg

no luck for me... after doing step 4,5 and 6 (max site) , save everything and do the step 7(double clicking the OSInstall.mpkg) i have a "Error Reading Package" and also saying, There was an error while evaluating JavaScript for the package... hope some will direct me to a solution... thanks

Same problem here. Can anyone tell us what we're doing wrong.

From the "System/Installation" folder of the 10.4.4 Restore DVD/DMG, copy the entire "Packages" sub-folder to the top-level (!) of a volume

the Installation folder from the restore disk... move that to the main 10.4.3 OS X drive. DO NOT place it under any other folder!

For Step 5, just do what it says. That step is stainght forward. just add in red under the one in black and leave evrything else alone:

<script>function hwbeModelCheck() {

return true;

CoreDuoAcer, when choosing the install customization, you have to remove the additional applications from the install. They're located on the second DVD, which is not accessible for this type of installation. That's most likely why you're getting the error; the installer can't find the second DVD.

OK that worked like a charm, Thanks!

Now I am at the first steps of the post installation.

Maxxuss says to copy "AMD_Enabler" and "Decrypted_Files" to the 10.4.4 root. Do I really need to copy the AMD_Enabler if I have a Core Duo CPU?

Also I can't copy the Mach_Kernel (the one I patched with the patch-base.pff) file to the root of 10.4.4 because I get an error saying: "The item "mach_kernel" cannot be replaced because it is invisible.

I am guessing there is a file that is hidden with the same name.

So what do I do to get around this?

Also where are the .kext files located so I can copy the:

ApplePS2Controller.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

Thanks guys for all the help.

2themax I had the same problem with Azalia audio kext. Here is what u need to do:

1.After u copy Azalia kext do

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

2. refresh the cache with

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

3. repair permissions

4. reboot and voila! :(

if this will not work, instead of 1. do only

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/"Azalia kextname here" and the following steps.

Hope this helps!

P.S. And yes I'm also "the lucky {censored}" with 10.4.4 up and running :)