The 99% sure way to fix SoundMax Sound (ATTENTION UPDATED AS OF 11/24/07)

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

rhiannasilel

rhiannasilel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Help! I've tried all three of these guides, Google, and just about every other combination of setup that I can think of and still no audio. My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S150) has the AD1981B Codec Chip. Hardware specs were found on a Linux forum. I did an lspci -n from an Ubuntu live cd (no windows will be on this machine and I wiped my Gentoo install) to get the vendor and device id -- the vendor is 8086 (Intel) with a device id of 24c5. I've edited the ICH6 key on the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and added the ADS70 codec to the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext. I even tried one suggestion of adding an ICH7 key, which didn't work either.

I've been over this numerous times and even started over from scratch a number of times, just in case there was a typo or something. Any advice? At this point, the only audio I have is through my modem speaker.

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

NOTE: confirmed that I have the device ID for ICH4 key set to 0x24c58086

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the modem using the same audio channel. I do have sound via the modem, but not the actual sound card. When I check the audio/midi settings, I see the AC97 Audio (PCM). Here is the hardware info for the modem:
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

Here's the output for the audio channel check:
kextstat | grep -i ac97
55 2 0x25b8a000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <54 11>
56 0 0x25b97000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <55 16 11>
67 0 0x203b7000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <55 11>

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to be of assistance.

d4vide

d4vide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Lenovo 3000 N100.
I run osx86 10.4.8 and I have no sound. Cannot move the volume bar, as I touch it, it disappears...
In the 'about this mac' the Audio appears as Intel High definition audio... the laptop specs on the web says I have:

Audio
Integrated speakers: 2
Speaker power rating: 2 Watts
Volume control buttons:
Speaker Quantity: 2 (Internal Speakers)
Audio chipset:SoundMAX Integrated HD Audio
Audio data width:16-bit

Loaded the kext file from macgirl, no errors when I run
kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

Rebooted, still no audio device available and no sound...
Anyone can help?? thanks in advance!!

d4vide

jimbeaned

jimbeaned

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Help! I've tried all three of these guides, Google, and just about every other combination of setup that I can think of and still no audio. My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S150) has the AD1981B Codec Chip. Hardware specs were found on a Linux forum. I did an lspci -n from an Ubuntu live cd (no windows will be on this machine and I wiped my Gentoo install) to get the vendor and device id -- the vendor is 8086 (Intel) with a device id of 24c5. I've edited the ICH6 key on the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and added the ADS70 codec to the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext. I even tried one suggestion of adding an ICH7 key, which didn't work either.

I've been over this numerous times and even started over from scratch a number of times, just in case there was a typo or something. Any advice? At this point, the only audio I have is through my modem speaker.

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the modem using the same audio channel. I do have sound via the modem, but not the actual sound card. When I check the audio/midi settings, I see the AC97 Audio (PCM). Here is the hardware info for the modem:
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

kextstat | grep -i ac97
56 0 0x25b97000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <55 16 11>
67 0 0x203b7000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <55 11>

I seem to have the same problem, I have a Gateway M320 with Audio slider control showing when I go to MIDI and try to configure speakers the output is set to Line Out well I do not have aline out on this laptop just the built in speakers and the headphone jack, neither of which has sound, when i try to configure speakers no options work, there must be a way to tell it to send the sound to the built in speakers and not the line out?

It looks like the device ID is correct and the vendor ID, but I can not figure out the correct ADS # for this sound card. The Specs on the gateway website say the chip is a realtek but the output says it is intel see below:

Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SoundMAX Digital Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_203A161F&REV_03
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: smwdm.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.4010 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 1/13/2004 18:40:28, 612032 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Analog Devices
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xB5B
Min/Max Sample Rate: 8000, 48000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

okay some more info:
it looks like the intel chip is 82801DB using a realtek codec of "ALC201A" not sure if this is correct, if it is what is the ADS# to enter in here? Will that make the output ports available to use? It looks like the problem lies in the fact that there is only one output and that is line out, i tested the mic and that works. Is there a way to map ports? it seems to mention a appleaudioIO but i could not make any head way with this.

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU

mABNER

mABNER

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in interesting things...
i got a soundmax adi ad1986a in a p5gv-mx motherboard and all i ever had was the sliding volume bars... but never had sound... if someone got the same mobo as me and got the sound working, PM me please!!!! :o

Oracle67

Oracle67

Oracle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
I have P5L-MX and it worked this for me.

MacJordan

MacJordan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
I too have AD 1986a on P5PL2/c. Output is ok, but no mic. Does any one have input? And if yes, how :)
10x

silvano

silvano

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Any solution for the 2-channels problem?

ASUS K8V-X SE
VIA K8T800
AC97

someguy360

someguy360

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have done all your advice and set up all the channels correctly and I still get no sound

Miguel Ros

Miguel Ros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

another satisfied customer here

thx alot

asus p4p800 with soundmax 10.4.8 (sound worked out the box but in the mic jack and not 5.1)

finaly managed to change the speaker output, and now can get full 5.1 tested with movies

thx for the great tutorial, and i leared something new on os x

Hi, how can get 5.1 fully sound? i got Asus P4P800SE with SoundMax (AC97 - AD1985). Only two channels works fine but MIC SubWoofer+Central Speaker not) Detail: i test all channels in SETUP SPEAKER and WORK!... but... not really on iTunes <_<

Thx alot 4 ur help, my little english sux :star_smile:

Jas 10.4.8 patched to 10.4.9

Grav3Mind

Grav3Mind

Super l33t T3H HaX0r ARE YOU? WELL..I can..umm..HaX your Tires?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
UPDATE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT MAY STILL BE HAVING TROUBLE!!! PLEASE READ FRONT POST!!!

dutchMasta

dutchMasta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

UPDATE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT MAY STILL BE HAVING TROUBLE!!! PLEASE READ FRONT POST!!!

Ok read it. Sent you a PM but your inbox was full. I'm sure some other people might have suggested it, but try these.
VNC Client - http://sourceforge.n...rojects/cotvnc/
VNC Server - http://www.redstones...eosx/index.html
I've never used them before, but I've used Windows VNC Client/Servers to remote control computers before. Hope this helps!!!

firefoxsilver9

firefoxsilver9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Hi, thanks for the trick. It partially worked for me.

(I ear a "noise" instead of "TADA" when I do the trick )

I can change sound volume, I can listen music in itunes, I can play divx with sound in QuickTime, mic is ok.

But I can't ear sound from GarageBand and I can't ear my interlocutor in skype.

My computer is an Optiplex 170L.

Anyone has the same problem ?

thx

Flo

i have the same problem regarding Garageband. I got sound working in other apps, but not garageband.

komac

komac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:

kextstat | grep -i ac97

I have the same problem .
there seems to be only 2 channels in the MIDI setup.
there is also a volum control.
but still no sound!
sorry for my poor English.

cynop

cynop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey everybody,
this comes straight from Grav3mind himself...

Seems that the link to the .kext file is down at this time. He's pretty busy at the time but he'll get us a working link ASAP
Of course anyone else who has the time and the working .kext could step up here. Let's go people!

idiocyX

idiocyX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i've just done Grav3mind's tutorial, but after i reboot i get an error message telling me that AppleAC97Audio.ktext doesn't work and that I should reinstall it or contact the vendor...
as contacting the vendor poses a problem (:)), i reinstalled the ktext numerous times, but keep getting the same error...
i'd hate to have to boot into ubuntu everytime i need audio, though ;)

can anyone help me with what i can try?

Grav3Mind

Grav3Mind

Super l33t T3H HaX0r ARE YOU? WELL..I can..umm..HaX your Tires?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Hey everybody,
this comes straight from Grav3mind himself...

Seems that the link to the .kext file is down at this time. He's pretty busy at the time but he'll get us a working link ASAP
Of course anyone else who has the time and the working .kext could step up here. Let's go people!

Update: The kext is back up after the forums crew has restored the old archive pages where the kext can now be found in the link in my tutorial! :).

jackychan

jackychan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey just thought I'd post, I used your instructions and it works! Thanks so much! I'm running a Dell 1100 w/ a soundmax card... now off to make my linksys USB wifi adapter work!

Thanks again, great tutorial!

wingtech

wingtech

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I folowed your instructions exacty, but it didnt worked. I dont get any error massage and i cant move the volume slider.

I have:

Soundmax Integrated soundcard AD1986a
P5LD2 se asus motherboard

Please help i tried all guides that i could find and i still cant get it work.

mctpursuer

mctpursuer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You shouldn't say you are 99% sure when you don't really know what's going on. That methods only works with certain models.

gigiscula

gigiscula

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I've installed Jas 10.4.8 DVD on a P4 3.0 GHz, mobo Asus P4P800-X (AD1888 SoundMAX) and I can't hear any sounds.
The volume glider can be moved. I've followed the instructions at the begining of the thread, stiil cand move the volume glider, but still no sound.

When trying to follow the tutorial, I get this:

m-computer:/ root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext appears to be valid
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext is already loaded

Please advice ;)

Thanks for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy