[HOWTO] Completely Firefox-branded Universal FX.

Pu7o

12 posts in this topic

Well, it's really simple. First, download the official Firefox or a Firefox nightly from somewhere and install it. Make sure that it's at /Applications/Firefox.app. Then, open a terminal and type the following command:

curl http://falcao.homelinux.org/~puto/universal-firefox-files.tar.bz2 | tar -xjvC /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS

All done, Firefox should now be an universal binary, yet it's still branded as "Firefox" and not "Deer Park". This includes the about window and such, as well (the other HOWTO around here only changes the icon and text, the about window and start page and all that are still pointing to deer park).

• 2 weeks later...

it works here and its finally a lot faster :( how is it possible to make it universal with the terminal??

is it also possible with other applications like word and microsoft messenger (id like to see that baby a lot faster) sorry if its a stupid question iam not that experienced with this stuff :D:D

No, that wouldn't be possible. The reason that this actually works is that the binaries are being replaced (noticed the ~10mb download? that's the binaries). http://falcao.homelinux.org/~puto/universa...x-files.tar.bz2 contains the universal FX files, i.e. the ones that actually differ between an universal and a powerpc-only release. The branding is in Resources/ and chrome/, and that's left alone.

I'd like to test this but first I'd like to know which files are being replaced if I use the latest DeerPark trunk versions. I would not want new files to be replaced by old ones.

Assuming we take the firefox-1.5.0.2.en-US.mac.dmg or the firefox-1.6a1.en-US.mac.dmg and apply your patch to the binaries, what are the differences between the original an the patched binaries?

You'd get a plain Firefox 1.5.0.1 anyway. The binaries are just universal versions of FX 1.5.0.1. The files being replaced are:

- The res folder (since I included my aqua widgets patch)

- All *.dylib files

- The firefox-bin file (the main executable).

See the tarball for yourself.