[HOWTO] Completely Firefox-branded Universal FX.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
Well, it's really simple. First, download the official Firefox or a Firefox nightly from somewhere and install it. Make sure that it's at /Applications/Firefox.app. Then, open a terminal and type the following command:

curl http://falcao.homelinux.org/~puto/universal-firefox-files.tar.bz2 | tar -xjvC /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS

All done, Firefox should now be an universal binary, yet it's still branded as "Firefox" and not "Deer Park". This includes the about window and such, as well (the other HOWTO around here only changes the icon and text, the about window and start page and all that are still pointing to deer park).

Shimms

Shimms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Except after following these instructions, Firefox no longer loads.

It appears in the dock for less than a second and closes again.

nylock10

nylock10

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Same here what's up with that?

Eggman

Eggman

I've got the master plan!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
If you're having trouble with Pu7o's guide, try mine. It leaves a few inconsistancies, but at least it works! :P

http://forum.osx86pr...?showtopic=8555

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
That's really weird. I tested it myself!

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
Well, I just checked, and it does work. I have no idea why you're having any problems.

Posted Image

Tested on a real Intel iMac, 17" model, OS X 10.4.5.

nylock10

nylock10

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well I'm running 10.4.1 so that is probably the problem.

With 10.4.3+ it will be better.

inmotion

inmotion

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
amazing guide, they should sticky this... i myself am not a big fan of deerpark... but universal firefox is pure joy ^_^ thx man!

Elrithranduil

Elrithranduil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
it works here and its finally a lot faster :( how is it possible to make it universal with the terminal??
is it also possible with other applications like word and microsoft messenger (id like to see that baby a lot faster) sorry if its a stupid question iam not that experienced with this stuff :D :D

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
No, that wouldn't be possible. The reason that this actually works is that the binaries are being replaced (noticed the ~10mb download? that's the binaries). http://falcao.homeli...x-files.tar.bz2 contains the universal FX files, i.e. the ones that actually differ between an universal and a powerpc-only release. The branding is in Resources/ and chrome/, and that's left alone.

Cyman

Cyman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I'd like to test this but first I'd like to know which files are being replaced if I use the latest DeerPark trunk versions. I would not want new files to be replaced by old ones.
Assuming we take the firefox-1.5.0.2.en-US.mac.dmg or the firefox-1.6a1.en-US.mac.dmg and apply your patch to the binaries, what are the differences between the original an the patched binaries?

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
You'd get a plain Firefox 1.5.0.1 anyway. The binaries are just universal versions of FX 1.5.0.1. The files being replaced are:

- The res folder (since I included my aqua widgets patch)
- All *.dylib files
- The firefox-bin file (the main executable).

See the tarball for yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy