Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow i530 Hackintosh owners! I just updated my install to 10.5.5 today and since I have a couple of PM's about updates, I thought I'd share with the class.

I downloaded the combo update from Apple and followed the instructions HERE to install the update. This same procedure also works for 10.5.2 & 3.

After the update I checked out shutdown, reboot and sleep as I always do. Shutdown works for me with the shutdown_fix installed to shut off all but 1 core when I shut down. Reboot did not work. It acted like shutdown and turned off the monitors but that was it. Sleep, well it slept and much like my teenage son, it didn't want to wake up when it was supposed to.

I also lost sound. I am using HDAEnabler and normally everything works and shows up in System Profiler. After the update it was still there but device mappings showed up.

My ATI HD 2600XT continues to work without having to reload anything.

So, how to fix the annoyances?

Shutdown (with multicore cpu's). Grab poweroff_fix from THIS thread. You will also need to install XCODE or at least the CHUD package from Apple. It's free and if you read more of that thread or use the search facility here you will find it easily. I have the whole XCODE package installed and don't have a problem shutting down my Q6600 Quad Core since I installed this fix. What it does is run when you choose shutdown and turns off all but 1 core of your CPU so the shutdown process will complete.

Restart. I found this after I did the 10.5.4 update and it worked perfectly to give me reboot. I originally used a prepatched AppleACPIPlatform.kext but after doing the 10.5.5 update I just did the edits myself and then installed and tested my 10.5.5 version. You can download the prepatched verson from 10.5.5 that is running on my system in the attached file. The reference thread is HERE Thanks to CharlesB for providing the info! If you don't want to use my pre-patched file, just grab a hex editor like 0xED (google it!) and do the patch yourself. Restart is working perfectly for me.

Sound. Ok, I had to get the files again and since there are a few posts here looking for how to get sound working, I thought I would go ahead and include them. I use HDAEnabler with the proper AppleHDA kexts by Taruga. The information I got is from THIS thread. Before installing these kexts, YOU MUST REMOVE ALCInject.kext. After you install the two sound kexts you will have working sound that shows up in System Profiler and has a working Headphone Jack. One thing about the headphone jack. There are posts here and in the other threads about it not working. Well, I just tested this again today and it works. There is a slight difference than you might think though. Normally, when you plug in headphones, the source automatically switches to the headphones and the speakers mute. Using these files, sound does not automatically switch to the headphones. You have to manually change the output to headphones in the output device section of the Sound control panel. It works, just not automatically.

That's about it for my 10.5.5 update experience. Everything went smoothly and the fixes were minimal for the i530! The attached file has the 3 kexts I use to fix reboot and sound. Nothing else is included.

Have Fun!

Toonces

Hi Toonces,

Not sure whether you are still actively watching this thread. However, I want to ask a question about the update.

I have followed your post to update to 10.5.6. Now that 10.5.7 is out, I am wondering whether I could use the same method to update to 10.5.7.

I have been using 10.5.6 for a while and I don't want to screw up all the data I have.

Have you tried the latest update? Any tips?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Toonces,

Not sure whether you are still actively watching this thread. However, I want to ask a question about the update.

I have followed your post to update to 10.5.6. Now that 10.5.7 is out, I am wondering whether I could use the same method to update to 10.5.7.

I have been using 10.5.6 for a while and I don't want to screw up all the data I have.

Have you tried the latest update? Any tips?

I have upgraded to 10.5.7 using the method described by toonces, i just made sure i downloaded the combo update from apple...

Anyone having their i530 freeze on them on a constant basis? im wondering if upgrading the bios to .16 has anything to do with this...i used to leave it on day and night, but now when i wake it after a day it freezes up on me after being responsive for a couple of seconds

i reinstalled but its still doing it, maybe its a hardware fault from leaving it on so much??

I have used leo4allv3 with the updates, i am currently download iPC right now,...maybe that would work.

gonna try Voodoo kernel and see if that helps

I hope snow leopard works on our machines with greater ease

Is there any firewire card that i can add to my computer and make it working on MAC? I have a dell 0FM586 A00 motherboard. I believe PCI cards doesn't work on intel based mac :P so is there any option for adding firewire to my computer?

In my experience, you need to keep to what works with normal Macs. In other words avoid the very common VIA 6306 (6307 works, but is less common), particularly on the ubiquitous VIA 6212+6306 USB/FW combo boards. Also avoid the ALi USB/FW combo boards, which are often sold under the Belkin name, as these do not adhere to standards and require a proprietary Windows only driver.

Avoid these:

im8ftt.jpg

FUL1_F5U508.jpg

NEC, Texas Instr and Agere chip based boards should work. However, I hear from those who work with external FW sound I/O interfaces that the Agere is not as good as the other two, although Apple uses it for its Macbook Pros.

I have this NEC combo card in my Dell 530

USBG-2PCI13941.jpg

I also have this PCIe based card in a HP m110 G5 running Leopard Server 10.5.7

FUL1_F5U602.jpg

In short: NEC and TI = GOOD

Agere = OK

VIA and ALi = BAD

• 4 weeks later...

It was very straightforward to install 10.5.7 on my inspiron 530 from a retail dvd (10.5.6), but it took me almost two days to figure it out since I am sort of a noob. Everything seems to be working so far.

CPU: Core Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz

HDD1: ST3320620AS (Factory default for WinXP)

HDD2: SAMUNG SP2504C (for OSX)

Video: On-board

Audio: USB Audio

Network: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet (PCI)

RAM: 4GB

Required files (You can find most of them in this site or by google.)

Retail OSX DVD (10.5.6)

generic.iso burn on a CD-R (boot cd) (Here)

10.5.7 update (Here)

chameleon 2.0 r431 (Here)

kext helper (Here)

DSDT patcher (GUI) (Here)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (with restart fix) (Here)

PowerOff bug fix package (Here)

OpenHaltRestart.kext (Here)

IOATAFamily.kext (with SATA fix for ICHx) (Here)

(I appreciate the guys who developped these tools, patches and kexts!)

0) I put HDD2 on SATA4 (HDD1 on SATA1) and booted with boot cd and then retail DVD, but OSX installer did not recognized HDD2. So I took out HDD1 and put HDD2 on SATA1 instead.

1) boot with boot cd and then replace it with retail DVD to install OSX.

2) once 10.5.6 is installed, install 10.5.7 update right away. (restart does not work yet. just shut down by pressing power button.)

3) boot with boot cd, and select the install partition in safe mode (-x) to start osx. (once it's booted, i recommend you make an image of the install partition onto another partition or an external hdd/usb drive to make your next trial quicker.)

4) install chameleon 2.0 r431, kext helper, dsdt patcher (i used the gui version.) (don't restart the sys yet.)

5) open generic.iso to find initrd.img. open initrd.img and copy everything in extra (of initrd.img) into /extra except AppleVIAATA.kext.

6) copy AppleACPIPlatform.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, IOATAFamily.kext into /extra/extensions.

7) run dsdt patcher, and make dsdt.aml in / (root.) rename it DSDT.aml. also copy DSDT.aml into /extra/extensions.

8) run kext helper, and install dsmos.kext (and maybe AppleACPIPlatform.kext, IOATAFamily.kext.)

9) now, you can restart the sys.

X) After I installed OSX in HDD2, I redid HDD connections like HDD1 on SATA1 and HDD2 on SATA4. But the PC did not recognize HDD1 as a boot device. First, I thought I broke it when I took it off, but it looked like the boot section was simply broken. fdisk /mbr did not fix this issue. I simply booted from osx, made an image of HDD1, reinstall WinXP onto HDD1, restored the image back to HDD1, and everything worked as before. I don't know what really caused the issue, but I suspect this had something to do with the 0) issue...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've been lurking for awhile but I haven't come across this yet. I have an Inspiron 530 with the Quad Q6600 2.4 Processor but it says "4 Ghz Unknown" in About This Mac. I'm wondering if this will cause it to not work at its full potential as I use programs like Final Cut and Logic Pro. I used iPC to put 10.5.6 on my PC and everything else works great. This was just bothering me though. Thanks if you guys know anything.

• 1 month later...

So it took me awhile, but here is an ISO that will boot an Inspiron 530 with a SATA CDROM drive and a SATA hard drive (G33 chipset, core 2 quad 6600): inspiron_530.iso.zip

I'm using the same image to boot a retail snow leopard upgrade dvd, but all I get to is "Loading Darwin/x86"

I boot the cd, load the snow leopard dvd, wait for it to stop accessing, then push enter, and a hash mark rotates, then rotates with the text "Loading Darwin/x86" and nothing else happens...

Do you (or anyone else) know why that is?

I have an inspiron 530 as well

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3MB L2, 2.80GHz, 1066 FSB)

Raptor 70 GB with Vista

500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM) - where I want to install Snow Leopard

4 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)

with a Belkin USB Wireless Network Adaptor

I boot the cd, load the snow leopard dvd, wait for it to stop accessing, then push enter, and a hash mark rotates, then rotates with the text "Loading Darwin/x86" and nothing else happens...

By using -v -f as parameters in the boot

I get it past loading Darwin/x86

and it says quote:

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422f700.

And then just seems to freeze...

Any thoughts?

I'm using the same image to boot a retail snow leopard upgrade dvd, but all I get to is "Loading Darwin/x86"

Do you (or anyone else) know why that is?

I have an inspiron 530 as well

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3MB L2, 2.80GHz, 1066 FSB)

Raptor 70 GB with Vista

500 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM) - where I want to install Snow Leopard

4 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)

with a Belkin USB Wireless Network Adaptor

By using -v -f as parameters in the boot

I get it past loading Darwin/x86

and it says quote:

Loading kernel mach_kernel

And then just seems to freeze...

Any thoughts?

This Boot-132 will not work for Snow Leopard, you will have to find another method to do it. When I was testing Snow Leo on my Dell 530, I used this method http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 to get it running. But to me snow isn't that supported by many of the software that I have. So I decided to hold out for a while, so that they can iron out some of the bugs, and allow all the software makers to catch up.

We should remember, Apple came out early with their "NEW" operating system; earliar than the software makers expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, lets keep our kittens in their proper threads here, boys - snow leopard should not be discussed in this 10.5 dedicated thread.

thanks.

Hey, I've been lurking for awhile but I haven't come across this yet. I have an Inspiron 530 with the Quad Q6600 2.4 Processor but it says "4 Ghz Unknown" in About This Mac. I'm wondering if this will cause it to not work at its full potential as I use programs like Final Cut and Logic Pro. I used iPC to put 10.5.6 on my PC and everything else works great. This was just bothering me though. Thanks if you guys know anything.

have you installed chameleon RC2 or 3? it fixes those issues, plus many more.

some other boards i have used will end up saying that the computer is indeed a Mac Pro, or just Mac, and sometimes MacMini

hey guys, i am thinking about installing leopard on a Dell Inspiron 530 with an ATi Theater 650 Pro TV tuner card. we use it currently with vista media center to watch TV (analog + digital OTA). will the TV tuner work in OS X? if so, what equivalent is there for vista media center? and does digital OTA work with it?

the TV tuner is the only thing that seems to be an issue at this time. the machine also has a ATi 3xxx series video card, D-Link wireless PCI card (very old one) and other than that, everything else is stock.

please let me know if this is possible. thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am a newbie and don't know where to start? What package/build should I try? Are u guys using OSX 10.6.x or just 10.5?

Inspiron 530

CPU: C2D E4500

Video Card: ATI HD3450

USB Wireless: WUSB54G v4

Sound Card: Envy24 family audio controller (ONKYO SE-150 PCI)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST3120026AS <------ I want to test drive OSX 10.6.x on my old SATA harddrive, is it OK?

Am I need to go to the BIO and change from "IDE" to "RAID" mode?

P.S. I have tried iDeneb_v1.4_OSx86_ISO but fail to bootup. See video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWtky2bPSFc

THX

• 2 months later...

Quite easy, but you have to choose well the good plugins for your computer.

I succeed in installing Ideneb 1.5.8 Lite on an Dell inspiron 530 ...

In my case, i haven't any graphic card on the inspiron and some apps needs a graphic card (iWeb for exemple).

I'd like to have some informations on simple compatible graphic card and the way to install it with drivers.

If someone could help me ....

• 1 month later...

First of all want to let you know it's my first day at insanelymac.com!

Great job on the intel...

Therefore , I want to let you all know that I finished my IAktos v7 installation with succes! (right on time for the Iphone 3GS 3.1.3 Spirit Jailbreak!!! :angel_not: )

Got my system complete running with the onboard sound and the onboard lan!

Greetz

Note: Will come back tommorow with the full specs of my dell Inspirion 530S