Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

Tthis guide is excellent. I've been up and running with Kalyway 10.5.2 for 2 weeks and love it. I've been considering the upgrade to 10.5.3 and then 10..4. Is there a guide or anything that can help me out?

Also, if things do go wrong, is it easy to restore things from a time machine backup?

UPDATE= I did the combo update, then updated to 10.5.4 via apple update. Only tricky thing was booting into single user mode to uninstall nvinject, then I added nvkush instead.

So sorry to interrupt guys, but I'm a newbie and I've go a real problem:

I need some help with Leopard on my Dell Inspiron 530. G33 motherboard, Intel Core 2 Dual 2.2 Ghz.

I've patched the DVD myself using BrazilMac.(Is this the right patch for my computer?)

My problem seems to be fairly widespread - "Still waiting for root device" This is what I've done so far.

1. Patch the DVD (BrazilMac)
  2. Partitoned the hard drive (250GB) to a 10GB partition. - I'm wanting a dual boot with Vista.
  3. Set the partition as primary.
  4. Inserted the DVD - press F12 to run boot menu - press F8 to run options - typed "rd=disk0s4 -v" (It's on the 4th partition due to the standard D:/ RECOVERY drive that comes with every Dell) - press Enter.
  5. The bootloader runs as described for about 3mins and then the font changes to small.
  6. It starts talking about FireWire security error defulting to full secure and then stops.
  7. It then displays the legendary, "Still waiting for root device" :hysterical:

I've tried all the major solutions that are posted here and it's "still waiting for root device".

I don't know if I'm using the right patch for my motherboard but since I have Dial-Up Internet(sorry, can't get broadband, that sucks) I need to patch the DVD myself instaed of downloading the image file.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a big fan of your cause and I love the Leopard OS. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

I have a inspiron 530s. The best option that has worked for me is the ideneb v1 10.5.4. After you download the iso, download the patch v1.1 ( just google it ). Once you get the patch, unzip it and you will find instructions to apply it in one of the directories.( I went crazy looking for the installation instructions all over the web and couldn't find them ). Before installing, buy a cheap realtek 8139 based NIC and install it. ( Inspiron on board NICs don't work somehow ). Disable the onboard NIC in BIOS. When you install choose customized installation and pick ICHXX for chipset, Don't select anything for network if you're using a realtek based NIC cause the drivers are built in. I wasn't able to get the sound to work with the ALC888 drivers but will do more research. After installation, the issue I had was getting the graphics card to show the correct resolution. Most of the times it defaults to 1024x768. The solution to that is as follows:

Well if you want your resolution changed go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration then open com.apple.Boot.plist. Make it look like this:

CODE

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Change the string to whatever you want.

Personally I have a ATI HD 2400 PRO video card. I am having issues displaying my desired resolution through the DVI connector. Reading some of the blogs, it seems like some people were able to solve the problem using the DVI to VGA dongle. I am still trying to fix the problem. Other video cards may work well. I think the onboard card seems to work fine up to 1600x1200 but you have to use the above mentioned method to get it to show that resolution otherwise it will default to 1024x768.

I wasn't able to get the sound to work with the ALC888 drivers but will do more research.

You can find the correct patch by looking in the 10.5.2 Hardware Compatibility List which is accessible from every page of this forum by clicking on the OSx86 Project link in the upper right corner of any page (right below where it says Logged in as:)

A direct link to the sound cards section is: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...5.2#Sound_Cards

The second one down is specific to the Dell Inspiron 530 though I have successfully used other methods as well. I know the one linked in the HCL does work though. I used HDA Patcher and that specific link to the dump from 10.5.2 up to 10.5.4.

Toonces

I don't have a 530s, but I have a 530 and I just successfully installed 10.5.2 on it (multiple times) My onboard sound worked right out of the box, each time, using the Kalyway DVD. This last time I installed, I didn't even touch any of the options in the customize setup, I just let the dvd do its thing and the sound worked immediately (but not through the front despite doing what so many other people have suggested).

Lots of info on how I did my install is available in my thread: My step-by-step install of 10.5.2 on a Dell 530 E2180

Does your front audio jack work, annunaki? I've tried Toonces suggestion as well as what ThaShef said worked for him, but neither worked for me.

No. Never tried it until now. I've got a Logitech Z4 sound system that puts a headset jack on the desktop ;) so i never really needed it.

Tried the above listed package for the sound card and it worked like a charm !! Thanks a lot for your help

Yay. Another satisfied customer :) .

I've had a problem with installing updates on Microsoft Office 2008 and software for a scanner. The message I got was something about "shared library" and <carbonlib> and such. It turned out that the CarbonLib setup in iDeneb was not working correctly. If you experience the same issues, you may find solace with the following...

CFMSupport.zip

I believe all you need to do is back up the /System/Library/CFMSupport directory and paste the CFMSupport directory from the zipfile into the same place. As always it is good to repair permissions and reboot with -f.

If you need help, just PM me.

I have a inspiron 530s. The best option that has worked for me is the ideneb v1 10.5.4. After you download the iso, download the patch v1.1 ( just google it ). Once you get the patch, unzip it and you will find instructions to apply it in one of the directories.( I went crazy looking for the installation instructions all over the web and couldn't find them ). Before installing, buy a cheap realtek 8139 based NIC and install it. ( Inspiron on board NICs don't work somehow ). Disable the onboard NIC in BIOS. When you install choose customized installation and pick ICHXX for chipset, Don't select anything for network if you're using a realtek based NIC cause the drivers are built in. I wasn't able to get the sound to work with the ALC888 drivers but will do more research. After installation, the issue I had was getting the graphics card to show the correct resolution. Most of the times it defaults to 1024x768. The solution to that is as follows:

Well if you want your resolution changed go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration then open com.apple.Boot.plist. Make it look like this:

CODE

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Change the string to whatever you want.

Personally I have a ATI HD 2400 PRO video card. I am having issues displaying my desired resolution through the DVI connector. Reading some of the blogs, it seems like some people were able to solve the problem using the DVI to VGA dongle. I am still trying to fix the problem. Other video cards may work well. I think the onboard card seems to work fine up to 1600x1200 but you have to use the above mentioned method to get it to show that resolution otherwise it will default to 1024x768.

I have a Geforce 8600GTS card.

I opened com.apple.Boot.plist and copied what you had written into the plist. It only changes the resolution to 1280x1024x32 on the apple logo with white background boot screen then when it goes into leopard I can only get a maximum resolution of 1280x800 which has annoying black bars on each side of the screen when selecting 1280x800 resolution. :dev:

Artmuzz

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow i530 Hackintosh owners! I just updated my install to 10.5.5 today and since I have a couple of PM's about updates, I thought I'd share with the class.

I downloaded the combo update from Apple and followed the instructions HERE to install the update. This same procedure also works for 10.5.2 & 3.

After the update I checked out shutdown, reboot and sleep as I always do. Shutdown works for me with the shutdown_fix installed to shut off all but 1 core when I shut down. Reboot did not work. It acted like shutdown and turned off the monitors but that was it. Sleep, well it slept and much like my teenage son, it didn't want to wake up when it was supposed to.

I also lost sound. I am using HDAEnabler and normally everything works and shows up in System Profiler. After the update it was still there but device mappings showed up.

My ATI HD 2600XT continues to work without having to reload anything.

So, how to fix the annoyances?

Shutdown (with multicore cpu's). Grab poweroff_fix from THIS thread. You will also need to install XCODE or at least the CHUD package from Apple. It's free and if you read more of that thread or use the search facility here you will find it easily. I have the whole XCODE package installed and don't have a problem shutting down my Q6600 Quad Core since I installed this fix. What it does is run when you choose shutdown and turns off all but 1 core of your CPU so the shutdown process will complete.

Restart. I found this after I did the 10.5.4 update and it worked perfectly to give me reboot. I originally used a prepatched AppleACPIPlatform.kext but after doing the 10.5.5 update I just did the edits myself and then installed and tested my 10.5.5 version. You can download the prepatched verson from 10.5.5 that is running on my system in the attached file. The reference thread is HERE Thanks to CharlesB for providing the info! If you don't want to use my pre-patched file, just grab a hex editor like 0xED (google it!) and do the patch yourself. Restart is working perfectly for me.

Sound. Ok, I had to get the files again and since there are a few posts here looking for how to get sound working, I thought I would go ahead and include them. I use HDAEnabler with the proper AppleHDA kexts by Taruga. The information I got is from THIS thread. Before installing these kexts, YOU MUST REMOVE ALCInject.kext. After you install the two sound kexts you will have working sound that shows up in System Profiler and has a working Headphone Jack. One thing about the headphone jack. There are posts here and in the other threads about it not working. Well, I just tested this again today and it works. There is a slight difference than you might think though. Normally, when you plug in headphones, the source automatically switches to the headphones and the speakers mute. Using these files, sound does not automatically switch to the headphones. You have to manually change the output to headphones in the output device section of the Sound control panel. It works, just not automatically.

That's about it for my 10.5.5 update experience. Everything went smoothly and the fixes were minimal for the i530! The attached file has the 3 kexts I use to fix reboot and sound. Nothing else is included.

Have Fun!

Toonces

Inspiron_530_10.5.5_fixes.zip

:)Hallelujah! Whoever posted the proper audio kexts is king! (I believe it was Toonces). Anyway, I had originally loaded the HDA_ICH9_ALC888.zip files which included ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext. Sound worked ok but headphone jack did not work. About this Mac showed "Available Devices:" with no devices listed.

Just moments ago I removed ALCinject.kext from the Extensions folder, and added the proper HDAEnabler.kext + AppleHDA.kext using kexthelper. After reboot I was rewarded with all audio inputs/outputs including headphones. About this Mac shows "Available Devices: Headphone, Speaker, Line in, S/P-DIF In & Out, and Mic. The sound is much crisper and cleaner and definitely working in true stereo mode! The only downside is that the bass is not nearly as good now. That can be fixed some at least in iTunes by adjusting the EQ (option+blackapple.gif+2). It has been noted elsewhere that a better output can be had if the speakers are connected to the headphone jack instead...whatever. Also, to use headphones from the front panel, you just have to select "Headphones" from System Profiler->Sound->Output.

Thanks a million y'all!

I'm gonna repost the file...hope nobody gets offended.

audio.zip

Remember, remove existing ALCinject.kext. Add HDAEnabler.kext & AppleHDA.kext using kexthelper. Repair permissions for good measure then reboot. B)

Bonus news: I can now install Adobe Air and Rosetta Stone. Evidently they required proper sound settings before they would work.

• 3 weeks later...

dell 530 q6600 w/ cheapo network card suggested by toonces and Asus NVIDIA 7200GS, originally came with Ubuntu

Install method was leo4allv3, everything worked perfect with the following checkmarks in install, Vanilla Kernel 9.22, Audio ALC888, NVIDIA Drivers.

Updated to 10.5.5 with combo update explained above, but loss Audio, and Quartz Extreme in the graphics, the audio was an easy fix, as explained above, however after much research i found on a post that NVInject doesnt work, so i found the site www.NVInstaller.com, downloaded the top file from the "downloads" installed the package along with EFI studio, after the package automatically installed the whatchamacallit's and automatically deleted the NVInject drivers EFI studio opened up, i picked NVIDIA 7200GS and after a reboot, quartz was back....i followed toonces advice from above and fixed restart, shutdown, and audio, and set sleep to S1 in the BIOS,... ran software update straight from apple for everything else to include office 08'...so now i have a Hackintosh "MacPro3", from a dell that cost me 400 bucks plus the video and network card.

annoyances so far:

HandBrake doesnt like the internal DVD drive, takes forever to load sources, use a usb drive and it works normal,...although i rather rip in Ubuntu because its about 20 minutes faster for some reason,...in leopard it uses 100% of each processor, but for some reason isn't as fast as Ubuntu...otherwise the internal DVD works fine

so after a columbus day weekend, 25 installs, and a nagging girl friend that told me i pay more attention to the Computer than her i got it right

i dont even touch my macbook anymore, its too slow for me...i appreciate everyones input in this post, first post for me, looking forward to 10.5.6.

• 2 weeks later...

iDeneb 10.5.5 worked great on my Inspiron 530. Vanilla kernel, and the correct driver selected. Only thing that does not work is the built-in ethernet. And, sound was fixed with a patch found on this site. I'm using an nVidia 8500gt 1GB video card. I used a trendnet gigabit ethernet card. Now the system is "Smokin'". Thanks to all the help found on this.

Any one having problems with

Waiting for root device

This issue also applies to people who get the apple loading screen and then get a cross sign through the apple logo like in the following image

I changed my on board SATA mode from RAID to IDE and its working fine :D

If you have vista already installed your going to need to reinstall it OR change the setting each time you want to swap between OS X and vista.

My ATI Radeon HD 2600XT PCI-E card is working beautifully however it does seem to be a little noisier in OS X compared to windows, it does quieten down after a full power off and booting into windows again.

I need to use on board sound though which like is mentioned before in this topic is very choppy, seems creative x-fi drivers simply seem a no no!

I have installed the drivers posted by Toonces but it still seems to be a bit choppy, nowhere near as much as before mind - probably just because i'm used to my x-fi card.

I'm currently using a belkin USB LAN card for Ethernet as all my pci slots are filled so i cant use an internal upgrade, even though i have tried a cheap internal LAN card which worked right away, i needed separate drivers for the belkin adapter. My wireless card worked right away.

Thanks again for everyone's help :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I decided to bite the bullet and dive into this as well. Long time "real" mac user, first time hackintosh user.

I ordered a 530 with the Core 2 Quad 2.4 (Q6600), 2x1GB 667MHz RAM and a 500GB 7200rpm SATA drive. It arrives Friday. I own a retail copy of Leopard (10.5.0 I assume, I bought it the day it released), and have a cheap nic already to try. I'm going to stick with the onboard video for a few weeks until I have spare cash to upgrade the card (leaning towards the nvidia 8500gt 512MB, though open to suggestions). For those interested, it was $409 from the online Dell Outlet including free next day shipping. Seemed like a good deal for a Core 2 Quad.

From what I've read so far, I am going to try starting with the Retail DVD guide listed here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167). I have a spare 300GB SATA drive to play with and will attempt to install to that, and once setup just format the 500GB to be a data drive.

From reading this thread, I don't see anything that sounds too hard. I have a Bose Companion 5 system that is USB based, so should be interesting to see if it works or not. I'll probably post up around here on successes and issues. Sounds like a fun project either way. :P

I did have one question though: Has anyone played with overclocking this cpu? I've read online the Q6600 is quite O/C friendly, just didn't know if anyone had tried it on here yet.

Ok, I decided to bite the bullet and dive into this as well. Long time "real" mac user, first time hackintosh user.

I ordered a 530 with the Core 2 Quad 2.4 (Q6600), 2x1GB 667MHz RAM and a 500GB 7200rpm SATA drive. It arrives Friday. I own a retail copy of Leopard (10.5.0 I assume, I bought it the day it released), and have a cheap nic already to try. I'm going to stick with the onboard video for a few weeks until I have spare cash to upgrade the card (leaning towards the nvidia 8500gt 512MB, though open to suggestions). For those interested, it was $409 from the online Dell Outlet including free next day shipping. Seemed like a good deal for a Core 2 Quad.

From what I've read so far, I am going to try starting with the Retail DVD guide listed here (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167). I have a spare 300GB SATA drive to play with and will attempt to install to that, and once setup just format the 500GB to be a data drive.

From reading this thread, I don't see anything that sounds too hard. I have a Bose Companion 5 system that is USB based, so should be interesting to see if it works or not. I'll probably post up around here on successes and issues. Sounds like a fun project either way. :P

I did have one question though: Has anyone played with overclocking this cpu? I've read online the Q6600 is quite O/C friendly, just didn't know if anyone had tried it on here yet.

I didn't do a retail install but if I were going to rebuild mine that is the way I would go. The USB sound shouldn't be a problem. Even easier than getting built in sound working as it's usually just plug and play. If it works with your real mac then it should work with the hack too.

I have my Q6600 OC to 3Ghz using the BSEL mod (tape over 1 pin) and the only issue there for me was cooling. I went with a good 3rd party heatsink/fan and since I had the space I also installed a PCI based fan that I got on eBay for $10. I haven't had any problems with random reboots or overheating. It's been rock solid at 3Ghz (1333Mhz bus) running 24/7. When I first did the OC mod I had problems with random reboots when I was converting video. Changing the heatsink seems to be the one that fixed that. I added the fan later as a precaution. It sits right next to the video card and exhausts any extra heat from there.

If you are going to venture out into other video cards, be aware that the 530 only comes with a 350W power supply that doesn't have a power connector for the video. You can replace the power supply with a better one though. I I went with a 512MB ATI 2600XT and haven't regretted it one bit. No additional power needed and through every update it's kept working without issue running dual 24" & 22" monitors. I don't do a lot of 3D or gaming though so what might be a perfect card for me may not be for you.

Have fun with it! The 530 is pretty easy to get up and running with OS X and for me has been a great experience. Very solid performer for very little money (I paid $629 shipped with a 24" monitor thanks to a stackable Dell deal a while back). I'll have to check out the outlet and see what they have. My wife's computer is due for an upgrade.....

Toonces

I have my Q6600 OC to 3Ghz using the BSEL mod (tape over 1 pin) and the only issue there for me was cooling. I went with a good 3rd party heatsink/fan and since I had the space I also installed a PCI based fan that I got on eBay for $10. I haven't had any problems with random reboots or overheating. It's been rock solid at 3Ghz (1333Mhz bus) running 24/7. When I first did the OC mod I had problems with random reboots when I was converting video. Changing the heatsink seems to be the one that fixed that. I added the fan later as a precaution. It sits right next to the video card and exhausts any extra heat from there.

If you are going to venture out into other video cards, be aware that the 530 only comes with a 350W power supply that doesn't have a power connector for the video. You can replace the power supply with a better one though. I I went with a 512MB ATI 2600XT and haven't regretted it one bit. No additional power needed and through every update it's kept working without issue running dual 24" & 22" monitors. I don't do a lot of 3D or gaming though so what might be a perfect card for me may not be for you.

Have fun with it! The 530 is pretty easy to get up and running with OS X and for me has been a great experience. Very solid performer for very little money (I paid $629 shipped with a 24" monitor thanks to a stackable Dell deal a while back). I'll have to check out the outlet and see what they have. My wife's computer is due for an upgrade.....

Toonces

Sounds like an easy enough mod to get some extra speed. I'll probably wait to pick up a good heatsink/pci fan though, then crank up the juice.

Good info on the video card, I had forgotten about that. I'll have to look around for that ATI card. I don't do much gaming (the Penny Arcade game or Wingnuts is about as heavy gaming as I do on the mac) and I only have one 20" LCD to drive, so I think a basic card will be fine. I'm more after cheap. But I do prefer high resolution and I run a lot of windows at once, so its good to have some oompffh.

Do check out the store, the inventory was changing thrhoughout the day, but some real nice deals in there. I even spotted a few desktops for $210! I was orginally gonna buy a Mini 9 and run OSx86 on it, but I think this is a lot more bang for my buck. I do want a dell widescreen though, I love those screens. :P

Why is the "passwd root" command in there? I don't understand why the root password is changed, nor what we are supposed to set it to.

Click on the link directly above your question where it says (source: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3544&st=20)

The source link gives the explanation of why, what to enter and what happens when you follow those steps. I think that may be why the OP probably cited the source of the steps when recommending that action. So you wouldn't have to just follow his steps without knowing why and he wouldn't have to quote the entire post(s) from the other thread. Further reading of that thread will also give you insight into issues that others had with that problem and the suggested solution and what they did to solve it (well, for those that replied back with their solutions).

Toonces

I'm now running a hackintosh. I varied a little from my original plan, but here's what I did:

Kalyway 10.5.2 was my base. I installed it and ran the welcome screen bypass. Logged in as root, setup a new admin account, and switched to it. After installation, the usual suspects weren't working (audio, shutdown/restart, onboard nic). I am still running the onboard X3100 video card, which is locked at 1024x768. A vid card upgrade will come soon.

I added a Linksys LNE100TX PCI NIC, which was not detected by OS X. I found the tulip.kext and used it, which worked fine. Next up was the audio, which was fixed using a kext file I found elsewhere on the site. Front and Rear jacks are both working, though OS X doesn't appear to auto select them when something is connected.

Shutdown/Restart are both working via the fixes listed in Toonces sig.

My 300GB turned out to be a 250GB, and it also turned out to be dying. Both Vista and OS X detected a SMART status of failing. Its out of warranty, so its essentially trash. I decided to just blast the Vista drive and go for it. I'm running the 500GB SATA as the only drive, formated GUID into one partition. Install had no hiccups.

My Dell BIOS is 1.0.15, for those that want to know. Specs are in my sig.

At this point, she seems to run pretty well. I am downloading the iDeneb DVD so I can run 10.5.5, and I need to research how to image what I have no so I can keep the work i've done. All 4 cores do show up in System Profiler as well as Activity Monitor. I can't think of anything it doesn't do right now, so I'm pretty happy with how she is now, save for I want more RAM and a new vid card. SO far I'm very happy. This was my very first OSx86 attempt, and not counting the downloading of the ISO's, I have about 4 hours in it.

This forum rocks by the way. :D

I'm now running a hackintosh. I varied a little from my original plan, but here's what I did:

Kalyway 10.5.2 was my base. I installed it and ran the welcome screen bypass. Logged in as root, setup a new admin account, and switched to it. After installation, the usual suspects weren't working (audio, shutdown/restart, onboard nic). I am still running the onboard X3100 video card, which is locked at 1024x768. A vid card upgrade will come soon.

I added a Linksys LNE100TX PCI NIC, which was not detected by OS X. I found the tulip.kext and used it, which worked fine. Next up was the audio, which was fixed using a kext file I found elsewhere on the site. Front and Rear jacks are both working, though OS X doesn't appear to auto select them when something is connected.

Shutdown/Restart are both working via the fixes listed in Toonces sig.

My 300GB turned out to be a 250GB, and it also turned out to be dying. Both Vista and OS X detected a SMART status of failing. Its out of warranty, so its essentially trash. I decided to just blast the Vista drive and go for it. I'm running the 500GB SATA as the only drive, formated GUID into one partition. Install had no hiccups.

My Dell BIOS is 1.0.15, for those that want to know. Specs are in my sig.

At this point, she seems to run pretty well. I am downloading the iDeneb DVD so I can run 10.5.5, and I need to research how to image what I have no so I can keep the work i've done. All 4 cores do show up in System Profiler as well as Activity Monitor. I can't think of anything it doesn't do right now, so I'm pretty happy with how she is now, save for I want more RAM and a new vid card. SO far I'm very happy. This was my very first OSx86 attempt, and not counting the downloading of the ISO's, I have about 4 hours in it.

This forum rocks by the way. :D

Excellent! Unless you are wanting to reinstall though, you can get the 10.5.5 combo update from Apple and follow the instructions for applying the update (The same instructions apply for 10.5.3 so search for 10.5.3 combo update or 10.5.5 combo update and follow the instructions for updating.) that will take you from 10.5.2 all the way to 10.5.5 without having to do a complete reinstall using ideneb (unless, of course, that is what you want to do now that you have a successful install under your belt).

Congratulations!

Toonces

Excellent! Unless you are wanting to reinstall though, you can get the 10.5.5 combo update from Apple and follow the instructions for applying the update (The same instructions apply for 10.5.3 so search for 10.5.3 combo update or 10.5.5 combo update and follow the instructions for updating.) that will take you from 10.5.2 all the way to 10.5.5 without having to do a complete reinstall using ideneb (unless, of course, that is what you want to do now that you have a successful install under your belt).

Congratulations!

Toonces

I was reading the 10.5.3 instructions right now. I'll look for a set of 10.5.5 instructions and just do the combo update. That sounds easier than reinstallign it all.

The bigger issue is now I'm looking at the older P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM Dell in the corner and thinking .... "I wonder.....", heh heh

Now to just find a cheap card to get the QE/CI enabled!

I was reading the 10.5.3 instructions right now. I'll look for a set of 10.5.5 instructions and just do the combo update. That sounds easier than reinstallign it all.

The bigger issue is now I'm looking at the older P4 2.4Ghz, 512MB RAM Dell in the corner and thinking .... "I wonder.....", heh heh

Now to just find a cheap card to get the QE/CI enabled!

HAHAHAHA, I look at damn near every old computer I have with the same thought ;)

The instructions for 10.5.3 are the same for 10.5.5 so if you follow those you should be golden. You may have to reinstall the GMA950 & sound drivers again after the update though so I would try to have those handy before starting.

http://www.amazon.com/Amd-Ati-Radeon-512MB...219&sr=8-10

That's the one I have in my 530. $50 is a good price. I got mine for $35.96 the hard way through a Best Buy screwup. The card was $229 when certain Best Buy stores started discontinuing it for some reason. I found 1 BB 2 hours away from me in Phoenix that had it marked as discontinued for $59. I tried to get my local BB to price match it but they wouldn't. It was really strange cause all of the other stores in AZ had the card for the $229 price (including 2 within about 5-10 miles of the one that had it marked down). I had a friend up in Phoenix so I bought one locally and sent him the receipt. When he went in to BB, they were having a sale on all VisionTek manufactured ATI cards and the discontinued one was marked down to $35.96! He gave them the receipt for a price adjustment and the cashier just about flipped. He called a manager over and the manager approved the adjustment and he walked out of there with $208 for me. That'll never happen again I am sure but I love that damn card even more :D

Anyways, for $50 it's a good card and I've never had any issues with it. You can get cheaper card from other manufacturers though if you look around. I know newegg had an nvidia card for like $17 that worked with OSX. Lower end but better than the built in graphics.

Toonces