Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

What resolutions are you guys able to get on the Inspiron 530?

I've tried (2) video cards (ATI 2600 HD and Nvidia 7300GT) and only can get 1024x768. I don't know is everyone just happy with a 1024 x 768 resolution or does my installation just need a bit more tweaking?

I was able to answer my own question. With the ATI HD 2400 PRO PCIe card that came with my 530,..I installed the package found here:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=107526&hl=On the second page. Checked off the box for the appropriate graphics card. Done.I also tried it for the HD 3650. FYI, the driver in that package also works :-)

Guys, what drivers (kext) do you use to have your network card (broadcom NetExtreme) working ?Thanks again,
From my understanding,...the route that most people go is to simple just add an additional PCI ethernet card. Luckily I had one laying around. Plugged it in. Prayed. And was online. G/L

I have been trying to use the Kalyway install disk. The first couple of disks I made failed. Finally i got one that went through the whole disk check without a problem and then started the install. About a 1/3 of the way through the install I receive an error "The installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/LEOPARD" Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?I'm on a stock Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz.One other thing I noticed. In this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start=Kaly says the checksum for Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.isoisMD5e03af401cc9e0baab1401199170ddf99But when I use my MD5 Checksum Verifier on the .iso I getd41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427eI've downloaded Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso twice and both have this same checksum. Is there a problem with my install DVD?Is it a problem with my hard drive?I notice that when I use the disk utility, there is no partition tab.All help appreciated.
It looks to me as though you have a bad download. I would get Leo4All V3 as more things worked for me when I finished installing (I've used both and both do work on the 530). The drivers for the ALC888 sound are on the Leo4All DVD and worked on first boot. All around, I had a better experience with Leo4All V3 though Kalyway did work. If you're on a stock 530, you should really consider getting a better video card and you'll need a PCI network card that is supported if you want networking. I prefer the ATI cards and have an HD 2600XT that runs 2 monitors perfectly. When I upgraded to 10.5.3 using the combo updater, I didn't have to do anything with my video card and actually got a little speed bump according to xbench and geekbench. The network card I use was a $9 cheapo 10/100/1000 I got from new egg and worked out of the box with 10.5.2 and now 10.5.3. The built in 10/100 network port has no drivers.Toonces
What resolutions are you guys able to get on the Inspiron 530?I've tried (2) video cards (ATI 2600 HD and Nvidia 7300GT) and only can get 1024x768. I don't know is everyone just happy with a 1024 x 768 resolution or does my installation just need a bit more tweaking?
With my ATI HD 2600XT 512MB I run a 22" at 1680 X 1050 and a 24" at 1920 X 1200. I loaded the drivers from the Leo4All V3 10.5.2 DVD when I installed and didn't do anything when I updated to 10.5.3 with the Apple Combo update. It just kept working.Toonces
Guys, what drivers (kext) do you use to have your network card (broadcom NetExtreme) working ?Thanks again,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833180026That's it. The onboard 10/100 does not have drivers. The 10/100/1000 drivers for the card above are built in to OS X and it works out of the box. Nothing to install.Toonces
I re-read through this post and found the solution to the looping welcome screen that pardus posted above ----------------------------------------When you first boot up, the keyboard verification process will keep on looping. You have to by pass this initial setup/check by rebooting in single user mode (press F8 during booting up and type in -s)CODE/sbin/fsck -fy /sbin/mount -uw / touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone passwd root----------------------------------------This worked.I now have a mostly working install of Mac OSX 10.5.2. I added an ethernet card to get online and I still need to get my audio working and I have to buy a new video card for the computer. Question:When I go into the system profiler it says that I have0 processors on1 coreI'm running a C2Q Q6600.Does this mean that all the processors are not being recognized?Or is this information simply not correct?Is there a program comparable to CPU-Z for the Mac that can be used to see what is working?
Yes, you are only using 1 core. When you install Kalyway there is a default option selected for a Dell fix? It enables only a single core and was meant for older Dells I believe. The first time I reinstalled Kalyway, I unchecked that and everything still installed fine but ended up with 4 cores instead of 1. There are links to ALC888 drivers in the Wiki Hardware Compatibility List for 10.5.2. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...5.2#Sound_CardsSecond one listed is the ALC888 on a Dell 530.Toonces
I have everything working on my 530 using Kalyway 10.5.2 except sleep. I have v3 sleep enabled in BIOS, and the machine seems to enter sleep ok, but will not wake up. I've tried both vanilla and sleep kernels with the same result. Ideas?-n.
Same Here. I even tried S1 sleep in the BIOS and it still doesn't work for me under 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. :D Toonces

post-215680-1213252830_thumb.jpg

I got Leo4All V3 and I am no noob to OSx86. But for some reason, even though I have done all the drivers I get 'Still Waiting For Root Device'.

What do I need for Chipset/Display drivers?

Also, I have the HD2600XT PCI-E version. So the AGP drivers on disc will not work.

I got Leo4All V3 and I am no noob to OSx86. But for some reason, even though I have done all the drivers I get 'Still Waiting For Root Device'.

What do I need for Chipset/Display drivers?

Also, I have the HD2600XT PCI-E version. So the AGP drivers on disc will not work.

Sounds like you need to install the ICHxFixed_IOATAFamily from Leo4Allv3 to get the drive to boot. Make sure to back-up IOATAFamily.kext and AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext before you update to 10.5.3.

For the video you need the Natit.kext for the ATI 2600. http://netkas.org/?p=56 works for me. Maybe its the same one in Leo4allv3? Don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Any ideas on how to fix Sleep/Restart/Shutdown? Does AppleACPIPlatform.kext control this feature?? The computer will go to sleep just fine, and the power button on the case will flash. If I push it, it seems to wake the tower back up, but the monitor won't display anything. Also, shut down does not actually kill power to the machine, just kills the OS.

Any ideas on how to fix Sleep/Restart/Shutdown? Does AppleACPIPlatform.kext control this feature?? The computer will go to sleep just fine, and the power button on the case will flash. If I push it, it seems to wake the tower back up, but the monitor won't display anything. Also, shut down does not actually kill power to the machine, just kills the OS.

My AppleACPIPlatform.kext is version 1.2.1, default 10.5.3, i think.

This IOATAFamily.kext enables ich8-r sata mode ("RAID" mode in bios). When I install the stock IOATAFamily.kext from 10.5.2 no ich8-r mode and no shutdown/reboot.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry717623 get IOATAFamily.kext_V1.1.zip

This will shut off all cores but one just before shutdown:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry641140 post #8 poweroff_fix.zip

• 2 weeks later...
I got everything working but my ALC888 audio is choppy. Anyone have a fix.

Yeah i just got a 530-111b and wanted to try it out and i'm having the same issues with the sound working but being choppy. i have used a usb headset that works on another hackintosh and two soundcards (one didn't work "soundblaster audigy" the other was choppy "some really crappy old sb card") and the onboard sound is choppy also?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a fix for Reboot from another thread that is working for me. It involves changing some bytes with a hex editor in AppleACPIPlatform.kext. A pre-patched version is HERE (for 10.5.3 & 10.5.4, I don't know if it will work for earlier versions) I have the one from the provided link installed and can reboot without problems on my 530 now. I also installed CHUD and the poweroff_fix and both shutdown and restart work perfectly now. I've not had any problems with my ALC888 sound using ALCInject or the newer HDAEnabler. With HDAEnabler, my audio shows up in System Profiler and the front jack works as well. The package I used is HERE

Toonces

Well, it's official...for me anyway. I bought my Dell 530 with the intention of running OS X full time and I have. The system boots straight to Leopard. I just deleted everything from the XP hard drive and turned it into storage space...that seems a bit funny to me. Anyway, everything works great since I added a different network card. The only thing that seems out of place a bit is that I cannot do anything with partitions with Disk Utility...or any other utility for that matter. I'm sure there's a logical explanation for it tho.

So...now it is completely a Hackintosh, complete with a Mac keyboard. I'm never looking back. Soon I'll be setting my dad & mum up with a Hackintosh for their home.

If/when the prices go down a bit for a comparable system to this 530, I'll be there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

So I am a complete noob when it comes to hackintosh and I've been reading over this forum and I have a couple questions/desperate pleas of help. The first one is, I'm planning on doing this with leo4allv3 and since I've never done this before I was wondering if someone could maybe PM me a complete walk through of the leo4all (like what to pick when customizing the install) install for the inspiron 530. For the network and graphics issues I read that a ethernet to usb connector works perfectly fine instead of a new network card, and for the graphics im planning on getting the ATI RADEON HD2600 PRO from best buy (cause its cheap and works according to you guys). The thing is I probably wont have either of the two things (usb to ethernet or ati graphics card) with me when I want to install leo so I would need to know what things to pick when customizing my install.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help I can get

Hey,

So I am a complete noob when it comes to hackintosh and I've been reading over this forum and I have a couple questions/desperate pleas of help. The first one is, I'm planning on doing this with leo4allv3 and since I've never done this before I was wondering if someone could maybe PM me a complete walk through of the leo4all (like what to pick when customizing the install) install for the inspiron 530. For the network and graphics issues I read that a ethernet to usb connector works perfectly fine instead of a new network card, and for the graphics im planning on getting the ATI RADEON HD2600 PRO from best buy (cause its cheap and works according to you guys). The thing is I probably wont have either of the two things (usb to ethernet or ati graphics card) with me when I want to install leo so I would need to know what things to pick when customizing my install.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help I can get

Well, I wish I could completely remember the options I used for the 530, but I don't.

Here's what I do recall...

Plugged in a spare SATA HD and formatted it to Fat32. Unplugged the factory HD & rebooted/installed with kalyway 10.5.2. I ordered my system with 2.33GHz Intel Core Duo, 4G ram and the nVidia 8600GT. I used NVinject for the video and got full QE/CI with dual screen joyness. Once it was all up and running, I reconnected the drive with XP and selected which drive to boot from upon startup...F8 or whatever. Later I did an upgrade from a patched version to 10.5.3 and did regular d/l to 10.5.4.

When I first installed the system, there were not too many options I had to check in custom. I even opted for the "vanilla" kernel. Everything worked great except built in ethernet, shutdown, restart and sleep. There are fixes for those somewhere, but I'm not sure where yet.

Do not sweat it with this system because it is REALLY easy to set up with Leopard. Personally I'd recommend a trial install with iDeneb as it is already 10.5.4 :P

Just order the system with a Core 2 duo or quad and dive in to the install. It will work and you will be a happy Mac convert, if you aren't already.

Does anyone have shutdown/reboot/sleep working with this config? If so, how?

My 530 has 10.5.4 with the vanilla kernel 9.4.0.

I've been thinking about trying the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, but don't want to jeopardize my primary computer until I know if someone else has tested this out first :wub::)

I have this system running only leopard, and i have everything working, except s3 sleep (s1 works fine, and is better for a desktop anyway)

What do you mean by "s3 sleep" and "s1"? Is that a BIOS thing? Think I read that somewhere...

yeah its in the bios

s1 - Uses a little power (keeps ram running)

s0 - Saves ram to disk

s3 - Uses little power and saves ram to disk incase of power failure

you can find it under power management options

BTW, you can get sort of get 5.1 working with audio midi setup (my speakers can send center and sub woofer through the same port as left and right)

yeah its in the bios

s1 - Uses a little power (keeps ram running)

s0 - Saves ram to disk

s3 - Uses little power and saves ram to disk incase of power failure

you can find it under power management options

BTW, you can get sort of get 5.1 working with audio midi setup (my speakers can send center and sub woofer through the same port as left and right)

OK, thanks rhyguy. I set up s1 and sleep works ok. It takes a few moments for the network to re-establish.

Now, what do you know about shutdown/reboot? That still does not work yet.

Oh man, that looks like a lot of trouble just to get shutdown/reboot :P

Not sure if I'm gonna tackle that one. I was hoping for maybe a hacked 9.4 kernel. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to go through your elbow to get to your thumb on this one.

Thanks for the info, though. If you know of a simpler way...please let me know.

It really simple

Chameleon has an easy installer (select drive to be installed) (it doesnt actually help the shut down fix, but its a lot quicker than pc efiv8 for me)

Apple acpi platform is a kext (use kext helper)

shutdown fix is an installer

Does anyone have shutdown/reboot/sleep working with this config? If so, how?

My 530 has 10.5.4 with the vanilla kernel 9.4.0.

I've been thinking about trying the StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel, but don't want to jeopardize my primary computer until I know if someone else has tested this out first :(:)

I am using the restart fix from this post without problems: Restart Fix

That may also fix your shutdown problem as well though I have another fix installed that shuts off all but 1 core when Shut Down is selected.

For sleep I just changed to S1 in the BIOS. It's not the same deep sleep but it does work.

Toonces

I am using the restart fix from this post without problems: Restart Fix

That may also fix your shutdown problem as well though I have another fix installed that shuts off all but 1 core when Shut Down is selected.

For sleep I just changed to S1 in the BIOS. It's not the same deep sleep but it does work.

Toonces

Thanks rhyguy and toonces. The Restart Fix was just what I was looking for. Here's what I got now that I changed to S1 and applied the fix...

Sleep works...for the most part. Sometimes (I think when Firefox is running) when the system comes out of sleep, the entire thing freezes except the beachball.

Restart works like a dream. Better than XP used to do it.

Shutdown has mostly everything shutdown except the a fan or 2 in the box, and the blue light. It acts more like a deep sleep with the fan and a nightlight running :)

Way better than before though.

Hey all,

I have been running Kalyway 10.5.2 (up to 10.5.4) for the past couple of months, never got restart/shutdown working right though....

I just changed a couple of days ago to a retail install, following this post:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

Works great, I now have shutdown and restart... the only thing I had to fix was the Time Machine issue, see the post-installation sticky for the IONetworking patch 581 fix, that corrects that issue.