Installing on Dell Inspiron 530

ThaShef

163 posts in this topic

I am interested in installing on Dell Inspiron 530, I have looked the tutorial section and also this forum, but I haven't found anything that would help. I have attempted at installing before, but the computer wouldn't start after installing.

I am looking to see if someone has successfully installed it on Dell 530.

I have 2.33 Core 2 Duo with 3GB RAM. Besides that the computer is basic.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same computer, same specs, and have attempted to both install iAktos and Kalyway with no success just yet.

With Kalyway, it appears as if it is about to boot into osx, but then pops up a box stating that I need to restart my computer.

I specifically bought this box to run leopard and after a review of the specs, thought that it would be an easy install.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this and get it working?

I have the same model, but a Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz instead. I used Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, vanilla kernel, one of each drivers (none necessary but the install worked when I picked them, so why not), and EFI MBR (Couldn't do/try GUID because the Dell RECOVERY partition is still on the HD and I didn't want to reformat the whole HDD). The installation was smooth.

When you first boot up, the keyboard verification process will keep on looping. You have to by pass this initial setup/check by rebooting in single user mode (press F8 during booting up and type in -s)

/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /
touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
passwd root

(source: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3544&st=20)

I know it's intended to bypass the welcome loop, but apparently it works for the keyboard verification loop too.

Built-in video card (Intel GMA 3000) worked at 1024x768 resolution (Time machine UI and cover flow in iTunes will not work with the integrated video card as it doesn't support Quartz Extreme); couldn't find a fix for it, but I got a 8800GT 512MB and it works with 10.5.2. I didn't try with the built in ethernet; I use my old wireless card instead (D-Link DWL-G510) and it also works after some kext editing. The audio (Realtek ALC 888) needs to be patched. Just search around the forum; I forgot the specific thread I got the solution from. I got stereo to work, will try for 5.1 later today. I have't tried working on Sleep mode yet (it's not working as of now). Shutdown doesn't shut down the computer completely; it just exits the OS but the power's still running.

For 10.5.2, download the Kalyway hacked combo update from the bay, run it, then repair permission (Always run Disk Utility > Repair Disk Permission every time you do something / before you restart. It doesn't hurt, and I think it helps fix a lot of unforseen errors!). Reboot, and download the Kalyway patched kernel for 10.5.2 and install with vanilla kernel. And it should work. There's extensive / more detailed threads on the forum. Just search for it.

Hope that helps!

Panthera pardus, Thanks for confirming.

Quick question, Kalyway 10.5.1 is the what I tried too, but after installation computer would not boot at all. I have 3 partitions on my HD, and I left Windows Vista partition and my Data partition along, and tried installing on a 70GB partition. I am wondering if it had something to with getting the EFI MBR installed right. How did you install the EFI MBR?

Nevermind...I tried it again and it worked like a charm. My wireless card started working on the first try. Everything seems normal so far. I need to get a new graphics card to get better resolution and then I'll try the sound out.

Thanks

I have the exact same computer, same specs, and have attempted to both install iAktos and Kalyway with no success just yet.

With Kalyway, it appears as if it is about to boot into osx, but then pops up a box stating that I need to restart my computer.

I specifically bought this box to run leopard and after a review of the specs, thought that it would be an easy install.

Anyone have any ideas how to get around this and get it working?

Leafspan, are you formatting your whole hard drive? Thats what I did and then created 3 new partitions and installed it using GUID and it seems to work just fine after that. I got the sound working from the back, but the front panel doesn't work.

I have a 530, 4500 c2d, installed Kalyway 10.5.1 with 10.5.2 update.

Only issues were networking, which I fixed with a PCI card, and fully enabled video, fixed with a 8800GS PCI-E card. Everything else seems fine.

I have noticed some problems with changing resolutions. My screen blanks out and won't restore until I reboot. I'd do a search here to see if anyone else has the problem, but the search functions are rudimentary at best.

Mike

I've got the same system too. Do you guys dual boot with Vista? How did you set that up - are there any issues you ran into with this system?

I have an Inspiron 530 dual Vista64/Leo. I've done it two ways:

1. Two partitions on the same drive. Works well, a bit of work to get it set up to boot from darwin bootloader but it works well. Set up vista first.

2. Seperate SATA drives for each OS. I prefer this, works really well and you use the bios to choose your OS.

Either way, forget the onboard video and network exist.

My set up:

2.4Gh Quad

5GB RAM

500GB, 250GB, and 160GB

sapphire ati 2600xt dual dvi

2x24" dell fp

vista64, Leopard, CentOS.

Did you get 5.1 audio to work?

Not sure, I don't have a way to test that. I tried the green port in the back and that works. And also the sound the fornt panel works fine.

It seem like the computer also goes to sleep just fine, it just don't know how to wake up :D and shutdown still doesn't work, it exits the OS, but the power is still active afterward.

Has anyone figured out the solution to this?

I have an Inspiron 530 dual Vista64/Leo. I've done it two ways:

1. Two partitions on the same drive. Works well, a bit of work to get it set up to boot from darwin bootloader but it works well. Set up vista first.

2. Seperate SATA drives for each OS. I prefer this, works really well and you use the bios to choose your OS.

Either way, forget the onboard video and network exist.

My set up:

2.4Gh Quad

5GB RAM

500GB, 250GB, and 160GB

sapphire ati 2600xt dual dvi

2x24" dell fp

vista64, Leopard, CentOS.

For option #2, did you have to set RAID mode in the BIOS to get this to work? The only way I could avoid the "waiting for root device" was to toggle this settings.

Thanks.

For option #2, did you have to set RAID mode in the BIOS to get this to work? The only way I could avoid the "waiting for root device" was to toggle this settings.

Thanks.

I didn't use the RAID mode. I used the other one - I think its called SATA mode. I also updated my bios to the .12 version on dell's site.

• 1 month later...

I did not have the keyboard loop after install on the first boot. Since this has a ICHx chipset, I use Leo4All and checked the ICHx Family Drivers. It actually speed up the boot time. I following the instruction the first time, then check my specification on dell and decided to install the ICHx driver from Leo4All v3. Hope that helps someone. I am still getting a shutdown/reboot issue though.

Inspiron 530 Mini-Tower

3GB 667 RAM

500GB 7200rpm HDD

8600GT 512mb

I've got an Inspiron 530 I purchased just to set up an OSX environment.

Can anyone give me any pointers on getting it to install?

Does anyone have any opinions on which osx install is the best to use?

Can anyone point me to easy to follow step by step directions on how to do this? (I know there are many posts in here that deal with that, but I haven't yet found something that really goes through the whole process).

Thanks for any help.

Use Leo4Allv3. I have the Q6600 quad core Inspiron 530 and Kalyway worked ok but had to go get my own audio driver. Since I didn't have it installed for that long before Leo4Allv3 came out I went ahead and tried it and it's been perfect.

2 things to do are get a pci network card and a decent video card. I got a cheap 10/100/1000 pci NIC from newegg that is based on the RTL1000 and it works out of the box. For video, I picked up an ATI HD 2600XT on clearance at Best Buy for $45! (still a $120 card elsewhere, no idea why it was on clearance) and it works great as well. There is an nvidia 7300GT card on sale at newegg (HERE) that is reported to work without issues for $19 after $10 rebate or you can get something more powerful, it really depends on your budget. The built in video is reported to work but without Quartz Extreme and only up to 1024X768? I'm not 100% sure about that because I never tried anything other than my HD2600XT. I run the vanilla 9.22 kernel and the only issue I have is that shutdown does not work correctly but restart does. If I want to shut down I restart and then just hit the power button at the BIOS screen. Make sure you update your BIOS to 1.0.12 too, it fixes memory detection to allow you to go up to 8GB of RAM should you so desire. I only have 4GB of RAM so I can't say how more than that would work but I haven't had any issues. Audio drivers are on the Leo4All DVD for the ALC888 so you're covered there. The media card reader and my Logitech Orbit MP webcam work too :( I had problems with the media card reader under vista and now I don't. I installed as MBR and used the F12 boot option to dual boot with Vista by selecting the drive with the OS I wanted. I've since made my Vista drive into a vmware image and blew vista off the machine and only boot OS X. If I need Vistard I just fire up vmware, run it, get what I need done and shut it down. It surprised me how few times I've needed to use it at all. Mainly to get a bookmark or email that was stored in outlook. I may try out the new iAtkos 2.0 on my mostly empty second drive if I can download a non-corrupt version just to see if it's any better than what I already have but I don't see much room for improvement over my existing install.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions about the install, ask and I will try to help.

Toonces

Thanks for your detailed experience. Have you tried dual booting with Vista, and if so, what's the best way to do it?

Yes, I was dual booting with vista using 2 drives and an MBR install. Super easy and you can use the built in F12 option on the 530 to select the drive you want to boot off of. 1 HD gets installed wih vista the other with leopard and they don't interfere with each other's booting at all. You can set which one you want to be the default boot drive in the BIOS so when you start up and don't hit F12 that desired OS is loaded.

Hope that helps,

Toonces

I have been trying to use the Kalyway install disk. The first couple of disks I made failed. Finally i got one that went through the whole disk check without a problem and then started the install. About a 1/3 of the way through the install I receive an error "The installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/LEOPARD" Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I'm on a stock Dell Inspiron 530 with an Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz.

One other thing I noticed. In this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...aded&start=

Kaly says the checksum for Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso

is

MD5

e03af401cc9e0baab1401199170ddf99

But when I use my MD5 Checksum Verifier on the .iso I get

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

I've downloaded Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso twice and both have this same checksum.

Is there a problem with my install DVD?

Is it a problem with my hard drive?

I notice that when I use the disk utility, there is no partition tab.

All help appreciated.

post-230544-1211051888_thumb.jpg

Ok, well I made it all the way through an install usingKalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso(I had also tried iATKOS_2.0i.iso but that kept restarting and would never complete).However, now when I start going through the setup process, the process gets hung up on the screen "Do you already own a mac?"I select "Do not transfer my information now" and then after a minute or so it goes back to the setup keyboard screen (which I had already selected 2 screens before).Anyone have any ideas on this?

Ok. Re-read thread (should of done that first) and found an answer

When you first boot up, the keyboard verification process will keep on looping. You have to by pass this initial setup/check by rebooting in single user mode (press F8 during booting up and type in -s)

CODE

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

This worked for me.Now I'm in. Woo hoo!

No internet access yet because the onboard ethernet is not supported.

post-230544-1211058890_thumb.jpg

Yes, I was dual booting with vista using 2 drives and an MBR install. Super easy and you can use the built in F12 option on the 530 to select the drive you want to boot off of. 1 HD gets installed wih vista the other with leopard and they don't interfere with each other's booting at all. You can set which one you want to be the default boot drive in the BIOS so when you start up and don't hit F12 that desired OS is loaded.

Hope that helps,

Toonces

What if I have two drives, have vista on one, and partition the other and install osx on the second one?

I re-read through this post and found the solution to the looping welcome screen that pardus posted above

----------------------------------------

CODE/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

----------------------------------------

This worked.

I now have a mostly working install of Mac OSX 10.5.2. I added an ethernet card to get online and I still need to get my audio working and I have to buy a new video card for the computer.

Question:

When I go into the system profiler it says that I have

0 processors on

1 core

I'm running a C2Q Q6600.

Does this mean that all the processors are not being recognized?

Or is this information simply not correct?

Is there a program comparable to CPU-Z for the Mac that can be used to see what is working?

post-230544-1211124000_thumb.jpg

I took the plunge and installed it on a USB hard drive and almost everything works flawlessly, except one thing: it doesn't recognize my internal hard drives, although it does recognize other USB drives.

Any ideas?

I have everything working on my 530 using Kalyway 10.5.2 except sleep. I have v3 sleep enabled in BIOS, and the machine seems to enter sleep ok, but will not wake up. I've tried both vanilla and sleep kernels with the same result. Ideas?

-n.