RIAA Says Ripping CDs is not Fair Use

Swad

29 posts in this topic

I find it funny that some people don't believe in copyright... yeah there are problems with the current way its enforced but people need incentives to keep inventing and engineering. I stand firmly on 200 years of progress based on the idea of owning ideas as the principal of progress. Blame the RIAA and MPAA for fighting a ludicrous war on their customers (because they are) but don't treat copyright's as unimportant or evil.

On a side note to support this view you can look at the lightning rod's history; Ben Franklin invented it and could have pantented it to sell for profit at high margin. This great man who could see the life saving benefits of everyone having his idea to use chose instead to give the work he had done away and put it in every newspaper in the country to help others get them installed at as little a cost as possible.

Sometimes change is inevitable.

Copyright = Capitolizm, Greed, and monopolies.

I know we all think Bill Gates is a great inventor.

If Ben Franklin would have copyright we would all have to pay out the ass for his monopoly on it. Copyright is {censored}, and it is what formed the Bells. Its what formed Windows. Copyright formed the prostitution of artists and their music. It formed the thousands of lawsuites brought into families homes. Extortion, corruption, and greed by those who crave power. Copyright, and capitolism will cause this great nation to fall. It is headed that way in a rocket destined for the moon. Copyright is for those that crave power, and dictatorship. In the ID of their minds they want control, control over all, and every existance in the world. :D

I find it funny some people don't believe in CopyLeft. Free as in beer, and as in speech. :thumbsdown_anim:

I present to you the writings of Marshall Brain. A good read for those who are interested.

http://www.marshallbrain.com/manna1.htm

• 1 month later...
If I download a song, they loose nothing, because I would not have bought it anyway.

I agree mostly with you except for that line. Because thats where a majority of people like to justify what they are doing. Thats kind of like saying (and im not saying i'm innocent, we all do it. It's just for sake of argument) "Well, I wasn't going to buy that CD, so Best Buy should just let me walk out the store with it". Sort of extreme, but thats kind of what we're doing. Minus the artwork and actual product. If the download wasn't there in the first place you'd have to buy it. Then we'd all have an overload of One Hit Wonders that we regret buying! :censored2:

I agree that RIAA has a bunch of {censored} law's ESPECIALLY not being able to backup your CD to digital media.. God only knows how many cd's I had to buy again back in the day because it was scratched beyond belief (I wish i knew about the toothpaste trick back then). But being a musician I kind of feel bad when I download a CD off the internet, love it, and never pay for it. It's not just taking a chunk out of Corporate's pocket but the little guy who actually put a lot of work to get your head moving up and down for the time you listen to it.

I guess what my point is, just because you download the song doesn't necessarily mean you weren't going to buy it.

I guess what my point is, just because you download the song doesn't necessarily mean you weren't going to buy it.

Doesn’t mean you were either... and doesn’t mean you won’t later. In all, it really doesn’t mean anything.

It’s not about piracy. That was never the issue. It’s all about eliminating fair use in an effort to sell more licenses to those who are willing to pay. Some people will pay for their music, and others won’t, no matter how illegal it is. Those in the middle that could be swayed either way are too small a group to worry about. The kids that download music today will eventually fall into one of those two categories regardless -- and their parents will still buy them CDs they end up returning, just like they always have.