ralink rt2860 driver installation

XoDeus

9 posts in this topic

Hi there all.

I've successfully installed iatkos 1.0r2 on my laptop and now I would like to enable wireless.

The manufacturer of the chip provides drivers for mac osx here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

I grab the 2860 package, loaded the image and installed, then rebooted, but I have no Wireless support.

I know that this driver worked in Windows and in Linux too, as I've just been running Linux Mint...

So please help me with that. I can provide you wth output of every command you ask. :blink:

Thank you.

My computer:

Memory :: 2018MB

CPU :: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz

Display Adapter :: Intel® Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

USB Controller :: 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4

Audio device :: 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

Ethernet interface :: Broadcom NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express

Wireless interface :: RaLink rt2860

FireWire :: Ricoh R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller

DVD-RAM writer :: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-S082H

SATA controller :: Intel 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller

HDD :: 160 GB 2,5" Hitachi 5400rpm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to dig up this old thread. I bought the ENCORE wireless N PCI card which is supposed to work with the ralink drivers. I installed the drivers, and my wireless works which is great...

My question is, how do you get it to show up as a native Aiport? I don't get the little icon in the menubar, I don't even see it listed in Aiport under system profiler. In fact, OSX hasn't detected any PCI cards.

Running third party tool is fine...it's just kind of ugly and my wireless card shows up as an ethernet under network prefs...If you have any solution to this please let me know! Haven't tested any other settings like looking up shares, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it isn't native airport. it reports to Mac OS X as an ethernet card. you use the Ralink configurator to get it to connect. You never get the airport symbol. Using this myself, and it works well. Normal dropouts due to Leopard being a balls.

• 5 months later...

How do I get this WiFi card to work with OS X? When I installed the latest driver, it's detected as an ethernet, not airport. After hours of research, I found out that this was to be expected, but I can't figure out how to use the Ralink Wireless Utility to connect. It keeps saying disconnected. I added a profile, but no luck. I've read that some people have managed the Ralink RT2860 to work with OS X. How exactly do I do that through Ralink Wireless Utility and/or Network Preferences? Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

• 1 month later...

After installing the driver in the network pref pane there is a additional ethernet connection.

first time use a cable to connect to your wireless router and configure this new connection

(key in the IP adress from the router at the DNS server and pick a IP address with manual DHCP.

after restart and disconnect the cable it will work fine.