iPhone or iMac?

Ongeloof

20 posts in this topic

Id go for the mac.

its so not worth swapping for an iphone

the type of phone you have doesnt matter, as long as you can receive, make and calls and texts thats all you need

iPhone. You won't need the iMac.

i completely disagree with you

an iphone sure has safari, but thats not all a imac is.

its not like you can store every single folder on your imac on a 16 gig drive, you cant run applications like photoshop, keynote, pages whatever. sorry to sound mean but your just wrong

400$ On my own!! are you crazy? do you realize how much that is!! i am 15 lol

Think i will keep the iMac.. just got more features... plus i like looking at the Apple logo on the front, not the back..

Think Mark

the type of phone you have doesnt matter, as long as you can receive, make and calls and texts thats all you need

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Once you have a decent computer, a basic phone, maybe what you still want is a camera, nothing more.

I have been dead against the iPhone since the very beginning. Very few people really need it.

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. Once you have a decent computer, a basic phone, maybe what you still want is a camera, nothing more.

I have been dead against the iPhone since the very beginning. Very few people really need it.

I'd love an iPhone but basically what you said rings true. All you need is a phone that can make/recieve calls.

It sure is pretty though.

dude, there's no way if you choose between an imac or an iphone that you choose the iphone! the iphone is awesome, but an imac (defenitely if it's an aluminium 24" one) is so much more and is so much cooler. an iPhone is more than just a phone, but, dude, an imac is way more than a computer :)

choose the imac!

(i bought one in september after i bought my first non apple pc four years ago, and man, there is no way i ever buy a non apple pc again!)

Id go for the mac.

its so not worth swapping for an iphone

My God, I hate people who say that so much (no offence :unsure:). Did you say that when mobile phones could only make calls and text messages were 'frivolous novelties'? I agree that not everybody has as much as use for all the iPhone features as another person may... but the time will come when that will be the standard. An iPhone (or iPhone-equivalent technology) price drop will come but will be an effect, not a cause of such a standardization. Hopefully that made sense. Rebuttals?

Anyway, I just got my iPhone today and; as awesome as it is, I wouldn't sell my iMac to get one. The iPhone is indeed expensive (though I maintain; not overpriced), and I just happen to be lucky enough to afford both at the moment (I've only just recently bought this iMac too.).

Keep the iMac man, save up for an iPhone and have them both on the go. I know how tantalizing it is to want new toys but the iMac will provide much more iBang for iBuck.

Sure, the iPhone is a nice piece of technology. But for people like me who are a little more tech savvy, there are some major flaws that prevent me from purchasing an iPhone:

1) Lack of full native MMS. The only way to send MMS messages is with SwirlyMMS, which requires the phone to be jailbroken.

2) Lack of video recording.

3) Network. Let's face it, AT&T is just disgusting. Also, lacking 3G features is a no-no.

4) Custom ringtones have to be paid for on non-jailbroken phones.

5) I already have a LG-VX8500 (Chocolate) on Verizon. It's faster than EDGE with EVDO, has full MMS/SMS capabilities, and video recording. Also, no hacking is required to use custom ringtones.

So for me, the choice is clear. I'm sticking with my VX8500 even if it means one extra device, since it has all the features and capabilities I need without hacking it. Now, yes, my iPod is jailbroken, but I am not using it for a phone. So I don't care about carrying two devices, even if I could carry it as an all-in-one with the iPhone. It just doesn't meet my requirements.

1) Lack of full native MMS. The only way to send MMS messages is with SwirlyMMS, which requires the phone to be jailbroken.

2) Lack of video recording.

3) Network. Let's face it, AT&T is just disgusting. Also, lacking 3G features is a no-no.

4) Custom ringtones have to be paid for on non-jailbroken phones.

5) I already have a LG-VX8500 (Chocolate) on Verizon. It's faster than EDGE with EVDO, has full MMS/SMS capabilities, and video recording. Also, no hacking is required to use custom ringtones.

Not that I'm trying to sway you the iPhone way as you seem happily set with your LG, but just for other people's sake: a 3G iPhone is coming. Also I have a completely vanilla firmware (i.e. no jailbreaking), and was able to cut up an MP3 (AND a protected AAC file as well) I had turn it into a 30-second ringtone for my iPhone within an hour of getting it home with no problems (admittedly, this isn't the way Apple want you to do it but they don't seem to be doing much about stopping it).

I hear tell that MMS and Video recording is coming with the 2.0 firmware -- but if it's not, I'm positive a third-party app will accomplish this when the phone's OS gets completely unlocked come June.

Don't get me wrong, the VX8500 is an awesome phone, too! :D

I am also not saying that the iPhone has it's perks. An accelerometer, proxy sensor, and touch screen are all amazing. But the point was the fact that the VX8500 and most other modern phones come fully loaded OOTB, whereas the iPhone is JUST GETTING what has been standard on most other cellular devices for some time; Full MMS, video, and 3G (or EVDO if you're Verizon).

I just feel that the iPhone should have come with most of these things standard since launch, and then expanded on things such as MS Exchange, Cisco VPN, etc.