[HOW TO] GFX-EFI Tutorial for NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB (G92)

agrafuese

264 posts in this topic

hi. just wanna thank you for this :D:D:D

EFI strings weren't wrkg for my 8400 GS 256mb+once i removed these, i had QE/CI back once more :) with NVinject!!!

you're the best...reverence to you, reverence to you, reverence to you, reverence, reverence+a big hug to you from India :) i finally have a complete Hackintosh...woo hooo :D:D:D

sudo -s
[enter password when prompted]
nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

This will take you to a text editor showing you the contents of your com.apple.Boot.plist. Look for these two lines:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>YOUR LONG EFI STRING HERE</string>

Using your arrow keys, navigate the block cursor down to each of those two lines and hit CONTROL+K on both. This will cut the corresponding line out of the script (quicker than hitting the delete button, trust me).

When you're done, hit CONTROL+X and then Y, and ENTER to save the file. Now simply restart OSX, and you should boot up again without EFI strings.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

AMAZING!!! :)

Completely new to all this... took 3 days to get Snow Leopard installed on my PC, assumed it would be just as difficult to get the graphic card working but your guide was spot on... was a bit concerned that it didnt mention SL but it worked perfectly with my XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog 512MB card, dual screens and everything.

Thanks!!!

Now to work on my Audio and Network card

• 4 weeks later...
AMAZING!!! :rolleyes:

Completely new to all this... took 3 days to get Snow Leopard installed on my PC, assumed it would be just as difficult to get the graphic card working but your guide was spot on... was a bit concerned that it didnt mention SL but it worked perfectly with my XFX 8800GT XXX Alpha Dog 512MB card, dual screens and everything.

Thanks!!!

Now to work on my Audio and Network card

not quiet. it works but im getting blue screen on boot with 10.6, have to unplug the cable wait for the desktop to show up, like its out of power.

don't work for me :)

I have Asus EN8800GT 512MB on AMD Hackintosh (NF4). I did everything from the list !

EDIT: I installed a new iDeneb 1.6 10.5.8 and now is everything is ok but xbench score are much more worst than my 7900GS :D ;/ ?! Any ideas ?!

GUIDE UPDATE

I have stopped support for this guide, and will not be updating the main post any longer. I will append the following to the main post, but this is a reply for recent visitors as well:

This guide is not intended for Snow Leopard. For everyone looking for an SL solution, I recommend researching the Chameleon Bootloader (preferably RC3, the most current version as of this writing), and loading your hardware via a DSDT patch. That is the most preferred way to run the 8800GT now, and is a verified 100% working solution.

There are countless guides on how to make this happen by guys much more knowledgeable than myself. Doing a search will be sure to bring up lots of helpful information. If you don't want to try DSDT patching, the (old) EFI methods described in this guide may or may not still work for you in SL, but I offer no promises. As time goes on, this guide will be visited by fewer and fewer people, so really it's a wise choice to move on to more current methods that are more widely supported.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Leopard 10.5.7 installed on an intel board. I followed these instructions to the T. When I rebooted after the "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext" command, chameleon doesn't even show up anymore. It just boots directly into windows.

What happened, and how can I restore the NVinject.kext file so that my system will boot as it did before? That's the only thing I can think of that would be causing this since I've cleared my boot.plist to return it to the way it was before.

Please help.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Agrafuese,

thank you very much for your how-to instructions.

The system is Ducky OSX86 10 5 4 AMD ONLY SB600 SB700 installed on SATA (AHCI) AMD Phenom 2 M3A78EM and GEforce 8800GT - I could not install any other OSX revision because only in this one SB700 drivers are included.

I installed Chameleon -EFI because could not find any EFI v8 for AMD (I suppose it is for Intel only)

After step by step installation of EFI strings based on your guide (I could not patch OpenGL files on restart though because responce was that command lines in files are different from patch options, but I think I've managed to patch them later with Marvin's AMD utility).

So the card works but QE is not supported still

nVidia GeForce 8800 GT:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06e4

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

BenQ FP991:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Could you please advise what had I done wrong and maybe guide me what other actions with EFI strings (I already tried EFI Studio and OSx86 tools but in vain) could be done? Nvinject etc is also not working

Thank you

P.S. maybe somebody have a working link to QuartzSimple - this program can activate QE I've read...

• 1 month later...

The guide is very good but I get a message that com.apple.boot.plist is a read only file.

I'm doing -s from boot and not an install disk in terminal. When I do sudo -s from boot, I get an error. Do I need to be in terminal or can I do this from -s while booting?

***edit***

I fixed this by entering in the two lines that appeared just after the message that the root was currently read only. Thanks for the guide!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a error in this:

Make sure to paste the string from "out.hex" as indicated. It should be one continuous line, free of any spaces or hard returns. Now press CONTROL + X and press Y at the prompt, then hit ENTER to save the file.

He can't save this. Apper this:

[ Error writing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist: Permission denied ]

Any Suggestion to save this?

• 5 months later...

hi!

i'm new here and i have a question. i read this post an installed the NVInstaller. But where is the info.plist? I can't find it.

I fixed my problem

Here are my steps to get my card fully working

I downloaded NVInstallerV.34.pkg (google it) then I installed it by choosing both options 256MB and 512MB

after reboot I edited inside info.plist the name of the card to Nvidia 8800GT I corrected permissions by chmod and chown another reboot and everything is fine!

look at the screenshot quicktime.gif Screen.tiff ( 101.9K ) Number of downloads: 91

By the way NVInstallerV.41.pkg gave me nothing but trouble I recommend 3.4 which worked great in my case

Thanx for any answers!

Greetz from germany

bennybensen

• 9 months later...