Power User migrating from Windows/Linux to Mac OS X

NIXin

33 posts in this topic

You're right cmd M does the minimize, but without maximize it's really a useless shortcut. I haven't got used to checking the dock for open windows minimized and usually hide the dock anyway, so I use cmd H to hide the whole app and then use cmd tab to show open apps by habit. The old roll up window in os9 was better for me because I was aware as to what windows were open because you could see the bar with the filename in it. I would love the maximize key because so many times I open a window in osx and it's too SMALL and I maximize it with the mouse, very slowwww.

I hear what you are saying. You should try training yourself to use Exposé... Which to be honest... is feature that I don't really use, even though I can actually see it increasing my productivity.

I haven't used Expose enough, although some people I know use it regularly. What ever happened to QuickKeys? It used to be easy to add a keyboard shortcut. The problem with that, is as soon as you use another mac, you have to get used to it NOT being there. The lazier I get, the more I adapt to the computer rather than customizing it, it seems.

Try using MuCommander as a file manager. It seems to have similar shortcuts to Total Commander (even the layout is similar).

As for the keyboad shortcuts, it really is a pain at times :D ! But once you get used to them, things get slightly better.

The bashing seems inappropriate. The forum should be for asking for advice, not for calling people names!

• 6 months later...
NIXin

Some arguments on ignorance:

- you call yourself a poweruser. so where to find the power to solve problems on your own ?

- you switch to a (lets say it clearly) stolen osx and lamentate about its features or non-features ?

- what you call problematic, is definitely problematic for you and not generally problematic.

- if you try something out, you do it for your own, not for me, not for anyone. if you want to do something for anyone post solutions, not questions.

- if you want to be helped, ask the polite way instead of spreading out lamentous arguments.

resumed:

ignorants dont have problems, so they cannot ask for help.

ignorants complain about the something is not the way they expected it.

Ready for the truly American response? Go {censored} yourself. Long. and Hard. Claiming that someone being mildly ignorant makes them the same as an "ignorant american" not only points out your own ignorance, but more also leads others to treat you as if you are a joke. So, do everyone a favor and just... shut the {censored} up. Please? I mean, tell me what country you're from and I'm sure I can come up with a page long list of complaints and generalizations.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few other griefs with OS X.

First is there a way to disable the prompt for my admin password EVERY time I install a program? Yes I understand why its there, but why should I pay for other people's stupidity? If I click the icon to install, YES I want it to install. Remember I own the hard drive, not OS X.

Is there a way to disable to shutdown countdown, without holding down a key? I don't want to have to confirm I'm shutting down, after I clicked shutdown. I also don't want to have to press another key.

Is there an easier way to share a network between OS X and Vista? Why do I have to enter the OS X ip every time I want to log into the machine? Why can't I create a virtual drive and have it always available when the Vista box is running?

Why does iMovie natively support AVCHD but not Final Cut Express ( have to connect my camera in to download the vids)?

Why are so many programs in OS X so poorly written? Spore has crashed more for me than any program I've ran in a decade under Windows. Its not the only program crashing either.

Yes I didn't pay for OS X, and mainly considering this my demo. Yes I suspect the vast majority of OSX users didn't pay for that copy of Windows they run every day inside OSX. Don't judge me, you're no better.

Why does every single piece of OS X software cost so much? Even 'cheap' shareware programs cost a lot. Most of the OSX shareware is available free under Windows.

The Mac keyboard. Looks very pretty, but damn it has to be the worst keyboard I've ever used. Much like OSX its form over function.

Truthfully outside of video/music/photo editing, I see NO reason to be on a Mac. It does look pretty, but OS X is FAR too restrictive, buggy, overpriced, and unsupported.

Truthfully, the Mac is all that is wrong with computing. I suspect its so popular because popular culture throughout the world is more focused upon appearances than functionality. Is this a result of the general dumbing down of all society? Lead by Americans, but believe me Europeans are catching up and surpassing.

12. Download manager

I download daily 10-15 GB of files via http/ftp. Haven't found any good managers. While wget is nice and I use it very often on the servers, I need something that'd support queuing and integration directly with FireFox or Safari. Something like Free Download Manager or FlashGet would be ideal. Does anybody know of such an app?

3 words my friend, DownloadThemAll :)