• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

MacBookJoe

MacBookJoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for your honest opinion I can respect that. Its not finished. I agree I moved away from the Mac Pro look you were correct it was intentional. I had thought of leaving the case as it was and buying a Silverstone for my first water cooling attempt.

But this had not been done before, the rad+ fans will be covered with a shroud I've been designing using a spare Mac Pro side door. the intention is to create a clearly DIFFERENT, UNIQUE clean cut Mac Pro case mod.

NOT to retain a stock look (I was amongst the first to achieve that).

J.

Thath0r

Thath0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Yeah for sure. Cool idea, covering the rad somehow.

It's not a Mac Pro anymore, but I think you'll achieve quite a nice look in the end.

Have you thought about just "enlarging" the case, so to speak? I mean, just some kind of covering the rad, but with the goal, that it looks still like a kind of extremely tall Mac Pro. Or you could also just put another modded empty case on top of your Mac Pro case over the rad. I know, I know, this maybe isn't your point, but I think you should really try to stay with that awesome design the Mac Pro has.
Although I can imagine, that you've become tired of it. :(

Looking forward to see your progress!

/Thath0r

Baudouin

Baudouin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Thanks for your honest opinion I can respect that. Its not finished. I agree I moved away from the Mac Pro look you were correct it was intentional. I had thought of leaving the case as it was and buying a Silverstone for my first water cooling attempt.

But this had not been done before, the rad+ fans will be covered with a shroud I've been designing using a spare Mac Pro side door. the intention is to create a clearly DIFFERENT, UNIQUE clean cut Mac Pro case mod.

NOT to retain a stock look (I was amongst the first to achieve that).

J.

I am curious to see your modded Mac pro side door. Have you thought to use a mesh panel to mod as cover ? The are very flexible and easy to mod as I have done to cover the inner parts of my cases.

Billy_d

Billy_d

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
If it was your intention to ruin a perfectly good Mac case, then well done you have done a cracking job.

walterav

walterav

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
OMG OMG OMG OMG

:) :| :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I REALLY Laughed My ass off, I couldn't stop laughing :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I still cannot believe...

First post, great mod, great pictures...

Last post,

Billy_d Posted Today, 12:59 PM
If it was your intention to ruin a perfectly good Mac case, then well done you have done a cracking job.

This made me watch the whole thread, because why could Billy_d post something like that.... the mod look"ed" great!

well okay, i scrolled through the post, and saw the mod going to fase 2. I saw drawings of excessive water cooling and holes drilled through the casing

And Than I saw the picture of Stellora's Frankenstein MOD...

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Why would being interested in OSX86 keep you from building a machine with the Mac Pro case? Isn't it a nice case for any machine whether it is a hackintosh or regular Macintosh? Now that a new one can be had for $199 I don't see the major obstacle as many nice aftermarket PC cases are close to that price. The challenge is finding the right motherboard and components that would work well with that case. It seems like people would want to do the hackintosh thing in hardware as well as software if at all possible. Macs are beautiful after all.

What I'm saying is it's a nice case even if you're just intending it to be a case for your computer, not trying to make your hackintosh as much as a mac as you can. I don't like the case because I like macs or apple, I like it because it's a good looking case.

MacBookJoe

MacBookJoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

These kind of comments get to me. Why bother posting them?

Nor do I see a reason for them? The case looks great! It isn't the stock look, as I'd already done that.. Now I've combined it with a top of the range water cooling solution. The whole POINT of a mod (see thread title) is to MODIFY a case looks. . . Your posts are off topic and so need deleting.

Nor is it finished... If you hate is now.. your gonna really hate it when its done. I don't want a stock Mac Pro (I'd buy a Mac Pro) I have a Mac Pro Mod!

Anyone thinking of posting a comment. If its negative then why bother? Constructive criticism is not "If it was your intention to ruin a perfectly good Mac case, then well done you have done a cracking job." Thats just the ramblings of a sad and lonely boy.

My Mod no longer runs OSX I run Folding@Home 24/7 and require a GPU client. I'm into overclocking and performance benchmarking I am a PC enthusiast!

I love the Mac Pro case and did another first with this Mod, My Quick Silver Hack runs OSX and I'm working on another first using an Apple Cube case.

Keep your comments on Topic.

J.

xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
i think the case looks pretty cool... i like the huge water cooler

jimmydigital00

jimmydigital00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I think it is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Dont change a thing.
Dont get me wrong the stock case is nice but what fun is that.
Hey to all you Apple Fanboys, just because Steve Jobs didnt approve of it doesnt mean it isnt awesome!!!!

I love Apple products but I love breaking the boundaries of Apple even better.

Good Job!!!!

kcm60is francois

kcm60is francois

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm also building a PC hacentosh inside a Mac Pro tower case. I'm using a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3P motherboard with a Rosewill 530 watt power supply. My case was gutted before I bought it and as such I only have the power button on the front of the case with a small what looks like a 3 point plug. How do I get this connected to the motherboard so that it will start up when I press the button.

MacBookJoe

MacBookJoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Check out the AquaMac forums 'AquaMac' has posted diagrams for all the wiring on the front IO panel. Thanks for the kind words over the last few posts. My MacPro is no in bits. all boxed up awaiting shipping to Chilled PC. I've moved to i7 with a 5870. It will probably be re-built (for the 3rd time) in the new new.

J.

danielniel

danielniel

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
I am thinking on installing my liquid cooled hackintosh in a g5 case but i have two questions,
is there any cheap place shipping to spain to get the case?
Secon quiestion is i have a termochilld pa 12.3 rad and anted to know where should put it into the tower

BrockSampson

BrockSampson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Where could I find an empty Mac Pro Case to build a hack?

nerdalertdk

nerdalertdk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

ebay :)

muchlife

muchlife

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

you can buy mac pro parts / enclosure from 3rd party suppliers but they are not worth the outrageous price

$439 for Mac Pro enclosure
http://www.usedmac.c...fab79111ae96f3f

nerdalertdk is right, you can find them on ebay much cheaper. G5 cases i've seen go for $100-275 but I havent seen many mac pro cases. you might have to check back often to find one posted

bonestonne

bonestonne

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
my only question is why not have mounted the radiator internally in the front of the case? less tubing, less fittings, almost no drilling (use threaded screws that fit through the vents on the case for a clean, reusable look).

cheers on the watercooling though, you set it up nicely.

Black Knight

Black Knight

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

my only question is why not have mounted the radiator internally in the front of the case? less tubing, less fittings, almost no drilling (use threaded screws that fit through the vents on the case for a clean, reusable look).

cheers on the watercooling though, you set it up nicely.

The reason is that the radiator is quite restrictive and blocks air from flowing over the HDDs which causes them to heat up quite a bit. This increases overall internal temp in the case. Once I moved my radiator to the back externally, my HDD temps dropped to about 30*C from about 45*C. CPU temps dropped to about the same. I am also able to use a triple radiator rather than a maximum double size internally.

markcf105

markcf105

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just purchased a 922-8000 case from DV warehouse. They have many different cases available and they are cheaper than other sites...

Thanks

Mark

cakeboy

cakeboy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

After being inspired by AquaMacs great Mac Pro case mod i joined up in his forum and began my own.. My goal was to create a OSX86 Mac Pro using all the Apple cooling found in the real deal. Aqua Mac has been a really big help providing me with wiring diagrams and help when i needed it most! Its far from done but looking great.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What do you think?

Head over to the AquaMac forums for lots of photos...

AquaMac Forums

J.

Attached File  CIMG2812.JPG   1.02MB   167 downloads
Attached File  CIMG2813.JPG   506.3KB   168 downloads
my mac mod
intel e5300 2.6gig chip overclocked to 3.4gig.
runs cool ,around 32degs with just the psu as cooling.
have run it at 4.2gig but it got in the high 50's.
runs leopard at lightning speed.
backpanel has had the 2 missing panes filled with black panels.
inside has been cable tied since these photoes were taken.
had to lose the door handle to fit in the psu.two small contersunk screws in the top corners
hold the door on .

mobjerg

mobjerg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I love the work you put into it, and don't mind the water cooling setup either. But I must say the "...why?" post made me laugh harder than I've laughed in months ... I couldn't stop... :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy