MAC PRO Case Mod

MacBookJoe

61 posts in this topic

Check out the AquaMac forums 'AquaMac' has posted diagrams for all the wiring on the front IO panel. Thanks for the kind words over the last few posts. My MacPro is no in bits. all boxed up awaiting shipping to Chilled PC. I've moved to i7 with a 5870. It will probably be re-built (for the 3rd time) in the new new.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking on installing my liquid cooled hackintosh in a g5 case but i have two questions,

is there any cheap place shipping to spain to get the case?

Secon quiestion is i have a termochilld pa 12.3 rad and anted to know where should put it into the tower

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where could I find an empty Mac Pro Case to build a hack?

you can buy mac pro parts / enclosure from 3rd party suppliers but they are not worth the outrageous price

$439 for Mac Pro enclosure

http://www.usedmac.com/catalog/product_inf...fab79111ae96f3f

nerdalertdk is right, you can find them on ebay much cheaper. G5 cases i've seen go for $100-275 but I havent seen many mac pro cases. you might have to check back often to find one posted

my only question is why not have mounted the radiator internally in the front of the case? less tubing, less fittings, almost no drilling (use threaded screws that fit through the vents on the case for a clean, reusable look).

cheers on the watercooling though, you set it up nicely.

my only question is why not have mounted the radiator internally in the front of the case? less tubing, less fittings, almost no drilling (use threaded screws that fit through the vents on the case for a clean, reusable look).

cheers on the watercooling though, you set it up nicely.

The reason is that the radiator is quite restrictive and blocks air from flowing over the HDDs which causes them to heat up quite a bit. This increases overall internal temp in the case. Once I moved my radiator to the back externally, my HDD temps dropped to about 30*C from about 45*C. CPU temps dropped to about the same. I am also able to use a triple radiator rather than a maximum double size internally.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
After being inspired by AquaMacs great Mac Pro case mod i joined up in his forum and began my own.. My goal was to create a OSX86 Mac Pro using all the Apple cooling found in the real deal. Aqua Mac has been a really big help providing me with wiring diagrams and help when i needed it most! Its far from done but looking great.

l_dc8c915214b4f2cb85e5d9839bcdfa90.jpg

l_d12094e8393fb02597bf612610d45eb4.jpg

l_22ed3109d53f9904beac4373e0423e3c.jpg

What do you think?

Head over to the AquaMac forums for lots of photos...

AquaMac Forums

J.

post-549924-1275602801_thumb.jpg

post-549924-1275602832_thumb.jpg

my mac mod

intel e5300 2.6gig chip overclocked to 3.4gig.

runs cool ,around 32degs with just the psu as cooling.

have run it at 4.2gig but it got in the high 50's.

runs leopard at lightning speed.

backpanel has had the 2 missing panes filled with black panels.

inside has been cable tied since these photoes were taken.

had to lose the door handle to fit in the psu.two small contersunk screws in the top corners

hold the door on .

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...