Mac OS X 10.6 Builds progressing....

steve22

31 posts in this topic

I hope that they don't start to super-speed releases these days. They just transitioned with an already quick OS map and nobody thought it would ever get quicker. Unfortunately it did or possibly did...

i hope they change a lot of things when (maybe next year or over two years) 10.6 will be released.

1 do things like in ubuntu 7.10 (with all the app switching etc.)

2 make te windows aero (or something like that)

3 make something really nice out of the dock

4 mac ik boot faster (tiger is faster then leopard, but leopard is faster when it's running (in my oppinion)

\

what about ya'll???

Everyone in this thread: there is absolutely no way that anyone will have any information or any build of Mac OS X 10.6 because WWDC is coming up. That is when teh torrents will have their share of Leopard.

You would be really naive to think Steve Jobs is gonna show any type of code running 10.6 this June...

If they ever get something running, that surely won't be stable enough to even show one screen (or it'll be the same GUI as Leopard, just like the old Leopard builds were using the Tiger GUI).

Leopard has just been out, give them a break !

You would be really naive to think Steve Jobs is gonna show any type of code running 10.6 this June...

If they ever get something running, that surely won't be stable enough to even show one screen (or it'll be the same GUI as Leopard, just like the old Leopard builds were using the Tiger GUI).

Leopard has just been out, give them a break !

It will be 4 months before a whole year will have passed, and Microsoft did some interesting things in Windows 7.0 In one full year (and all of us know they are a little sluggish.) Theres a chance that Steve may have something to share, they will be 8 months in with 10 left until the next release.

for minor upgrades at $120? I think it should be $60 AT MOST.

I said release schedule, not pricing :wacko:

It would make sense for Apple to show us 10.6 at WWDC08, and then again at WWDC09, with release 6 months afterwards, thats roughly what happened with Leopard.....

Are people new to OS X or what? Its not windows where it takes years to develop. A new .x version comes out around every year. Do not expect .6 to be a major update like .5 was, I think it is extremely likely that they will show 80% or more of what .6 has to offer at WWDC. .6 probably wont have anything too amazing, hopefully it will get rid of aqua once and for all but I wouldnt hold my breath, theyll probably just add a couple new useless features while expanding on things like front row and spaces/time machine.

Are people new to OS X or what? Its not windows where it takes years to develop. A new .x version comes out around every year. Do not expect .6 to be a major update like .5 was, I think it is extremely likely that they will show 80% or more of what .6 has to offer at WWDC. .6 probably wont have anything too amazing, hopefully it will get rid of aqua once and for all but I wouldnt hold my breath, theyll probably just add a couple new useless features while expanding on things like front row and spaces/time machine.

Steve actually announced a few years ago that OS X's release cycle would slow down to about every 18-24 or 24-30 months (I don't recall which one). 10.6 won't be release for at least 2 years from right now, if not till the end of 2010 or 2011.

In the beginning, yes, OS X was released almost on a yearly basis, but if you look at the distances between the releases, they have been increasing steadily over time and should peak at the time it took between Tiger and Leopard.

Also, there's no real prediction for how "major" a release of OS X will be. However, there will never be such thing as a release like 10.1, which you seem to be predicting 10.6 will be. If you look at all the OS X releases except for 10.1, they have all been relatively major.

Mac OS X Panther was released on October 24, of 2003 and in June 2004 on WWDC they already previewed Tiger. Looking at the dates, it looks like they'll do the same this year.

"Steve Jobs spoke with the New York Times about Leopard, saying that this latest release of OSX would form the basis for another cycle of continuous operating system upgrades, which could last as long as a decade.

“I’m quite pleased with the pace of new operating systems every 12 to 18 months for the foreseeable future,” said Jobs. “We’ve put out major releases on the average of one a year, and it’s given us the ability to polish and polish and improve and improve.”"

BTW: Build 34 was just mentioned: http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/launchd/changeset/23563

Steve actually announced a few years ago that OS X's release cycle would slow down to about every 18-24 or 24-30 months (I don't recall which one). 10.6 won't be release for at least 2 years from right now, if not till the end of 2010 or 2011.

In the beginning, yes, OS X was released almost on a yearly basis, but if you look at the distances between the releases, they have been increasing steadily over time and should peak at the time it took between Tiger and Leopard.

Also, there's no real prediction for how "major" a release of OS X will be. However, there will never be such thing as a release like 10.1, which you seem to be predicting 10.6 will be. If you look at all the OS X releases except for 10.1, they have all been relatively major.

All of which depends on whether or not you count Intel Tiger as a seperate release.... which Apple do...

All of which depends on whether or not you count Intel Tiger as a seperate release.... which Apple do...

That's true, and it does contradict what I've said. I guess if Steve talks about 10.6 any more than announcing its name in June, it'll tell us how soon it will be released.

Will AMD macs ever be real? Obviously they are in existence and real mac at Apple HQ, in the "What If" section, but will they ever be released as a a mainstream product?

Think Mark

Will AMD macs ever be real? Obviously they are in existence and real mac at Apple HQ, in the "What If" section, but will they ever be released as a a mainstream product?

Think Mark

No.

Intel is MILES ahead of AMD, i don't think apple would make that mistake