OS X plays h.264 better than XP

MarkW

4 posts in this topic

Using VLC on both platforms, it is possible to skip around a video on OS X faster and without sound and video getting out of synch like it does on XP.

Anyone know why? Is some of the decoding offloaded onto the video card when using OS X?

Certainly Quartz Extreme helps in the situation by moving frame buffers along at a much faster rate. It also helps that VLC is based on Linux which is much easier to optimize for Mac than it is for Windows. But, overall, it's just good code running well. In the right environments, H.264 performance will run better on Mac and Windows on VLC/QuickTime/WMP depending on what you throw at it.

Perhaps a VLC devleoper could provide a specific answer to your question. I don't think VLC uses DxVA under Windows. In general, I've found VLC to run better under the *NIX OS's than under Windows. I only use it under Windows when I have a particularly difficult transport stream file. VLC was born for streaming!

For the latest hot AVC decoder for Windows, try to find a beta copy of the CoreAVC DirectShow filter (search www.doom9.org forums). Availability comes and goes as it is a commercial project. There is no more efficient AVC decoder on the planet! It does high profile too. Try that with QT! ;(

Also, QT 7 is clearly focused on AVC (main profile). It doesn't do too well with mpeg2 or H.263, in my experience!